Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 9:47:15 AM EDT
Ive been out to colorado and wyoming pre-season (january) on christmas breaks before, and i know their season is just getting underway.

I'm curious as to how long a typical season lasts.  Our college graduation ceremony is on may 21st.  I would be interested in going out somewhere after that, but i dont know when their seasons end.

If anyone has a good idea of when the season goes till, please let me know.  
if you dont know, please avoid from making educated guesses.

second, does whistler run later since its up in Canada?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
In Oregon we ski 365 days a year - just ask the US Ski Team where they ski in the summer.
www.timberlinelodge.com/

Timberline Lodge, built int he 20s by the Civilian Conservation Corp - part of the new deal - and featured as the 'Olverlook Hotel' in Steven King's The Shining.

There is also Mt. Hood Meadows - not as historic and only runs through spring (depending on weather)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In Oregon we ski 365 days a year - just ask the US Ski Team where they ski in the summer.
www.timberlinelodge.com/

Timberline Lodge, built int he 20s by the Civilian Conservation Corp - part of the new deal - and featured as the 'Olverlook Hotel' in Steven King's The Shining.

There is also Mt. Hood Meadows - not as historic and only runs through spring (depending on weather)

+1  They also ski Reineer year around.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Until the snow melts.

Actually the slopes on US Forest Service land have to close by a certain time. I don't recall when that is. I don't ski.

I think Arapahoe Basin stays open longer as it's not on forest service land and it at higher altitude. I know I've seen newspaper articles about someone staying open till the end of May/June or something. I think it was A-Basin. Of course winter snows have a lot to do with that. You might pull up their website and see what you find. I could be wrong about A-Basin, 'cause I don't ski.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Timberline on Mt. Hood but I think they actually shut down for 3 weeks for lift maintenace.  Regardless it's great skiing for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't call January pre-season by any stretch. The best storms last season were in Jan and Dec. That said, during the average season you are mostly like to get get good conditions in Feb.

Depending on the weather, Arapahoe Basin here in CO is open as late as July, but the conditions aren't really worth going up much past April.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Last year I was able to snowboard the norther sierras from Oct 30 all they way to early june. I t is one of the best years we had. The year before that on the other hand was nothing to brag about.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
alaska?

blackcombe glacier?

end of may is late..

january aint too early (unless its a crappy season).

i would try salt lake city in january, maybe jackson hole

colorado normally takes to the end of jan to get decent base. but i have skied in aspen and vail in december (but was real spotty). copper mountain and breckingridge are at 10k feet plus so if they get good snowfall it tends to stick. (been to copper in december too but sheese it is high and copper is a boring hill).

been to tahoe but dont like wet snow...

later summer go to porteo (in chile) or maybe new zealand.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I skied this Easter in Steamboat Springs CO. Excellent snow, it was a BLAST
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool thing about Timberline is you are above... wait for it.... the timberline. You actually ski on Palmer glacier. Two chairs to the top. It's a great summer activity to just ride the lower chair to the mid-point and mess around with kids or what not. Lots of hiking opportunity as the timberline trail circles the mountain at a distance of 40 miles... I could ramble forever... Lots of liberals from Little Beirut (Portland). Great place to practice open carry and friendly hellos.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple of years ago they skied until July 4th at Mammoth.  Was crummy but it was skiing.  I've had it snow on me in August in the Sierras.  A good year runs from October until late May.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top