Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 9:04:09 AM EDT
News folk say Galveston, what do we say?  

And do you think if it hits NO, the 'lets not rebuild' camp gains any strength?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
i vote half way between corpus and gal/hou.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't realize its a cAT4 wow.  the gulf just churns those suckers, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say either 50 miles either side of Galveston, with Galveston in the crosshairs. BTW, that also puts Texas City in the crosshairs as well. In case you don't already know, that's a city very important to our supply of gasoline.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
matagorda bay
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If Rita goes Cat 5 and the path shifts north hitting New Orleans again, then I will be left no choice but to assume that God is hosing the bugs off the windshield with a pressure washer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Last info I got was between Port LaVaca and Freeport.  The north/east end of that is heavy chemical industry.  Farther east and you start getting the heavy petrochem facilities.  Also lots of saltdomes where the SPR is kept are through that area.  The Houston Ship Channel was the second biggest US port behind NOLA before Lady K, and the Intracoastal Waterway runs behind the barrier islands along the coast through there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If Rita goes Cat 5 and the path shifts north hitting New Orleans again, then I will be left no choice but to assume that God is hosing the bugs off the windshield with a pressure washer.

NOLA is safe from a direct hit due to the high pressure system right now.  However, the rain spinning off of it might be a problem.  Currently it looks like the system will degrade to a TS pretty quickly once it makes landfall and end up coming to us in Dallas, then starting more eastward.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Last map track had the storm going in around Rock port texas, maybe 20 to 30 miles NE. If the track holds this will put the storm at 100 to 120 miles se of galvaston and closer to Corpus.

The weather guys say in Austin(where i live) can expect upto 80 mph winds and heavy rain on Saturday(that should make dove hunting interesting).

Mean while the lib get to gether otherwise known as the Austin City Limits music fest will go on as planned. AHHHHH rain, high winds, mud and 65000 people per day.

BTW Austin is setting up to take in 45000 evacuees starting today.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
So how is this going to effect petroleum, gas prices? Arent there alot of facilities down near Galveston. This is going to suck!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
On the news this morning they were saying it is a good thing it isn't headed for New Orleans. All I could think was it is a bad thing because the place is already ruined and evacuated so what else could it do ?   Thats like asking someone if they would rather wreck their 1982 primer colored F-150 or their new 2005 model. Why be glad it is going to an area that hasn't been touched yet ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So how is this going to effect petroleum, gas prices? Arent there alot of facilities down near Galveston. This is going to suck!

If it is going into Rockport that's a pretty good distance from Galveston.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
corpus christi may be a shithole, but it's a shithole with a huge port and a hell of a refinery row......................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top