Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 4:56:08 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to put down that Rust-Oleum expoy shield basement floor treatment.  The instructions for the floor prep are to strip etch with thier particualr product prior to paint application.  While our floor is dusty, its relatively new (2 years and clean).  Does the extra step of striping and etching really help in the application of the expoy coating?  We have some rather heavy stuff down there that I'm going to need to move around, but I worry about working with acids in proximity to some of this stuff.  So do I need to do this, or is it all just a gimick to sell a wider range of products?

Thanks.  Sloth  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it per the instructions, I've seen botched jobs from poor preps.

Get some fans and a respirator to help with the fumes.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Etch the floor otherwise you'll have paint peeling inside of a year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If it has been sealed you will need to shot blast it or grind it....

I called them last week about this (We wanted to do this), but the builder sealed ours when they built it (last year).  They said it will not react right with the lime unless all of the concrete with the stripper is removed.

I said screw it, I am just going to buy some marine grade carpet.........

I think the number is something like 1-888-nufloor or close to that.

Any coating is only as good as the prep work.  If you want it to really last hire and industrial coater to do it right.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If the floor is still raw concrete you may be good to go on the epoxy coating.  If the concrete is smooth or has any seal on it you've got to etch it.  More surface area for the epoxy to bind to, and nothing that will cause inhibition or delamination of the epoxy.  Call the manufacturer and ask the tech. services people.  If you do it wrong it'll be awful to fix later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top