Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 9:00:03 PM EDT

I was moving a bench and had this funny feeling I should flip it over and look underneath.

Heebeegeeebees!!!!

It took all I could muster to trap this alive to show the wife and kids.  I had visions of it jumping on my hand, biting me, and my hand rotting off.

After show and tell I am pleased to say that it died quickly when I sprayed carb cleaner in the jar it was in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I killed one of those Saturday myself, it was the first Black Widow I have seen in several years. Scary
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/326240.JPG

I was moving a bench and had this funny feeling I should flip it over and look underneath.

Heebeegeeebees!!!!

I toke all I could must to trap this alive to show the wife and kids.  I had visions of it jumping on my hand, biting me, and my hand rotting off.

After show and tell I am pleased to say that it died quickly when I sprayed carb cleaner in the jar it was in.

So you toke all that you can, before you catch spiders?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/326240.JPG

Heebeegeeebees!!!!

I toke all I could must to trap this alive to show the wife and kids.  I had visions of it jumping on my hand, biting me, and my hand rotting off.

So you toke all that you can, before you catch spiders?

Man what a typo brain fart that was.  I fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
They are nasty little fuckers.  My cousin is missing a 6 inch piece of skin on her leg because of one of them.  Kill them all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
taste it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate spiders.

When it gets cooler they line up at the door to get in.  Had a huge infestation at my parents, and them another at my first apartment.  All over the place because there was no sweep on the door.

Found the solution to them getting in through the door.

there is a insect repellant called Permanone, Wal-Mart sells it in the same section as the deet products.  It is meant to treat clothing and lasts weeks on clithes, seems to last months on the welcome mat.  Just the time it takes a spider to cross a surface that is sprayed with this stuff is long enough for it to die.  I guess it is just good ol' permethrin, but it is in a handy aerosol can.

I read that bug wranglers for the movies use lemon pledge to "guide" spiders in movies, as they will not walk on surfaces tha have been sprayed.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I got bitten by one of these things in July.  Pretty sick for a couple of days, bunch of meds and I was good to go in a week.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Squished one with my steel toed boot a couple months ago while it was hanging out on my siding.

I don't mind spiders, its just when they start setting up shop on my lawn chair or front door that the RAID comes out.

Brake cleaner spray does wonders on them too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Black widows don't cause your flesh to rot, that's the brown recluse's claim to fame. The widows have a neurotoxic venom that works on your central nervous system. If you make it through the first few days, you'll likely be ok. However, the lasting effects of a recluse bite will be much longer, if it is a severe bite.

With that said, I am a firm believer in killing them all.

BTW, you know those mud dauber wasps? Don't kill them. They kill black widows by the dozen. In fact, they are the biggest poredator of the widow. So let em live and don't tear down their mud nests.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate those things. I used to harass 'em a lot as a kid, those little fuckers are fast movers on the ground. Bust out a lighter and a can of raid, flaming black widows are funny as hell
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
those things are EVIL....found one the other day...it found the underside of my boot....Kill em all..I HATE spiders..
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Black widows don't cause your flesh to rot, that's the brown recluse's claim to fame. The widows have a neurotoxic venom that works on your central nervous system. If you make it through the first few days, you'll likely be ok. However, the lasting effects of a recluse bite will be much longer, if it is a severe bite.

BTW, you know those mud dauber wasps? Don't kill them. They kill black widows by the dozen. In fact, they are the biggest poredator of the widow. So let em live and don't tear down their mud nests.

I have been bitten by a black widow. The area around us is practically a farm for them. I hurt for a few days but no big deal.

I have a friend who was bitten by a brown recluse. She almost lost her leg.

IIRC, the mortality rate for (reported) black widow bites is about one in thirteen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Truth be told, these things have been plagueing mankind for millions o' years that why we have a built in fear to avoid them. Some people also have snake phobia. But the spider is worse they are small and will bite without provocation and end up in people stuff. Snakes mind their own business. you have to really be unlucky to get bit by one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
 HOLY SHIT!!!

KILL THEM ALL!!!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Squished one with my steel toed boot a couple months ago while it was hanging out on my siding.

I don't mind spiders, its just when they start setting up shop on my lawn chair or front door that the RAID comes out.

Brake cleaner spray does wonders on them too.

The hell with brake cleaners, try AIRSOFT (works for me, I don't like getting close to the bastards)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I was bitten by a Brown Recluse back in 1983. A two inch chunk of meat in my leg began to rot
and it smelled like death. Yes, it hurt like hell.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
These guys kill Black Widows:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Hate SPIDERS.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There was some sort of mud tube on my door frame that a wasp made. I knocked it off and it was stuffed with at least 20 spiders (no widows, though). They seemed to be alive but paralyzed. It was nasty. Now I leave their nests alone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Black widows almost as common as Wolf or Orb (web bouncers) here...   Our wolf spiders can grow to obscene size...

No big deal...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was some sort of mud tube on my door frame that a wasp made. I knocked it off and it was stuffed with at least 20 spiders (no widows, though). They seemed to be alive but paralyzed. It was nasty. Now I leave their nests alone.

I kept finding half dead or fully dead widows lying on my front porch. At first I thought they were coming out of my ceiling. Then I realized they were actually being dropped from those "mud huts" that those dirt daubers made. After some research, I found out that mud daubers do in fact kill black widows. Since that day, I have never bothered their nests. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They are nasty little fuckers.  My cousin is missing a 6 inch piece of skin on her leg because of one of them.  Kill them all.

Probably a Brown Recluse, not a Black Widow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I have them-(black widows)- on my farm.
Couple years ago, I decided to raise them and
sell them encased in lucite as paperweights.
I guarantee, guys at gun shows would buy them;
hell, they'll buy anything.

I found a momma spider with a sac. Put her and the sac in a
gallon jar and waited.
Sure enough, hundreds of the little things soon emerged.

My wife discovered my get rich quick project and made me an offer I
couldn't refuse.   Still think it was a money making idea.
May try it again next year a little more discreetly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was bitten by a Brown Recluse back in 1983. A two inch chunk of meat in my leg began to rot
and it smelled like death. Yes, it hurt like hell.
muextension.missouri.edu/explore/wildthing/images/brownrecluse02.jpg

Same here but on the side
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top