Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:13:27 PM EDT
  This afternoon I pulled onto a highway and some guy runs right up on my ass and stays there, like 10 feet away at 50 mph. I did not cut him off although if he was speeding it may have seemed like it to him. Instead of going around me 'it's a 4 lane', he just rides my bumper. I didn't feel real friendly at the time because I had a wisdom tooth pulled earlier today, I did what i usually do in this case and tap the brakes except i hit 'em a little hard and he had to jam his to stay off me.

Now it gets real interesting, I see him in the rear view going crazy in his truck, waving with 1 finger and mouthing at me. In about a quarter mile I catch a red light and he pulls up beside me and rolls down his window and unloads all kinds of crap at me, he was raging like no-one I've seen before.

I never even rolled my window, I just sat there taking all his bs and was beginning to wonder where this goes next. I also was very uncertain how this would have gone if it came to a brawl. He may have been a meth-head or at least was acting like one. BTW I did have a pistol w/me and for the first time in my life I could see this getting there.

The worst part of it is I felt like a wimp for taking all that crap from him and doing nothing, but I had a feeling it was going to go to the limit real soon.

So what would you do (WWYD)  poll coming
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Draw Down!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Beware the law... Road rage incidents that get out of hand are never pretty

It's not a big deal, so why not just let it slide? I find that by not being in a huge rush all the time myself, and letting assholes speed ahead of me is not as bad as I thought it'd be. I also installed a pair of Hella Supertones onto my car, so whenever some idiot soccer mom is drifting into my lane without signalling I give em a good scare.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't get mad. Just pray for their fiery deaths.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
put it in neutral and let him pass you  

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, you probably made him more mad by ignoring him.  Unless he gets out and starts something, ignoring them is the best thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I look straight ahead, not even acknowledging their presence.  It is kind of amusing b/c you know that this just pisses them off even more.  If someone would be dumb enough to get out of their car in approach me in such a rage, though, they might get the wrong end of a .45
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just remember, whenever you get into a pissing contest, everybody gets wet.

Move on, save it for another day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
With my kid in the car I'd do nothing.....maybe slow down to a snails pace and allow him to pass me.  If it's just me in the car I usually speed up.  I hate to brake check people so I'd rather speed up.  

The guy was being an ass and probably deserved the check you gave him (even if you cut him off), but that kind of shit can get deep.  I TRY to avoid situations like that because I'd hate for it to escalate and have to shoot someone over brake checking.  JMHO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Piccolo has two ears.

You have 2 ears.

Use them both.

Simply let it go in one ear and out the other.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Which lane were you in? If you were in the right lane, I agree the guy was an asshole and should have just passed you. If you were in the left lane, IMHO, you should have moved over...

My bad, this was a 2 lane that opened up to 4 lanes just after I brake tapped. It had a turn lane down the center. I am pretty careful not to poke around in the fast lane, and we were both running at least 5 over the speed limit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
double post
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
  I didn't feel real friendly at the time because I had a wisdom tooth pulled earlier today, I did what i usually do in this case and tap the brakes except i hit 'em a little hard and he had to jam his to stay off me.

If you're going to carry a gun, you should learn to control yourself and not escalate conflicts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Usually when someone is pissed at me, I  just ignore them.

Sometimes I blow them a Kiss.

It generally dosn't help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't get mad. Just pray for their fiery deaths.

I get mad AND pray for their fiery death.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
if it  was me i move out or slow down...hate to have my ncie car get hit or sumtin bad happens :(  makes me cry
unless i have 5 people in my car i would then stop and all 5 of us get out beat the crap out of him. which i never done before thats how asian do it foo 20 on 1 FOO GANKSTA SHIZZZZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
  I didn't feel real friendly at the time because I had a wisdom tooth pulled earlier today, I did what i usually do in this case and tap the brakes except i hit 'em a little hard and he had to jam his to stay off me.

If you're going to carry a gun, you should learn to control yourself and not escalate conflicts.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
When that happens to me I usually just take my foot off the gas until they go around. To be honest, it doesn't happen often because I tend to have my foot in it most of the time.

With the situation at the light, I'd have done the same thing you did. Don't escalate it, and just go on with your day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
You did right. Trust me on this one (from someone who KNOWS), RR is a nowhere proposition for everyone involved. It never turns out good.

Assholes will always be assholes.

Safe yourself and fight another day over something worthy and noble.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I drive about 30 miles everyday on I-85 going to school. That little vein in my head comes close to bursting everyday.

LEFT LANE FAST RIGHT LANE SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was pissed off and not feeling good so he hit his brakes hard to piss the guy behind him off. That is escalating the conflict. If the guy got out and attacked him at the next light he would have had to shoot him. If you carry a gun you have to avoid fights since every one could turn into a deadly confrontation. Even if you want to put aside any moral questions, it is financially stupid to shoot people if it can be avoided. If you can't see that, it is a shame.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#23]
You read his post wrong. He hit his brakes cause the guy was tailgating him. I would have done the same thing probably. Not that hard but I would have tapped my brakes. He just hit his brakes harder than he normally would have if he hadnt had his teef pulled. Did it help the situation? Probably not. But the guy tailgating him definantly wasnt helping.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was pissed off and not feeling good so he hit his brakes hard to piss the guy behind him off. That is escalating the conflict. If the guy got out and attacked him at the next light he would have had to shoot him. If you carry a gun you have to avoid fights since every one could turn into a deadly confrontation. Even if you want to put aside any moral questions, it is financially stupid to shoot people if it can be avoided. If you can't see that, it is a shame.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I would of secured my piece, in case the guy came after me physically, and probably cuss back and flick a bird in return.  Phuck 'em.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You read his post wrong. He hit his brakes cause the guy was tailgating him. I would have done the same thing probably. Not that hard but I would have tapped my brakes. He just hit his brakes harder than he normally would have if he hadnt had his teef pulled. Did it help the situation? Probably not. But the guy tailgating him definantly wasnt helping.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didnt read his post at all. Brake checks are indeed escalating conflict. You guys need to grow up if you are going to carry. Brake checks are not cool.

And he did say 2 lane to 4 lane, but still didnt say what lane he was in.

He said he was going 5 over, he said he was going 50, assume he speed limit was 45??

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#26]
You merged onto a freeway at 50MPH and this surprises you ? Not that you deserved to get "abused" by this irate driver,but from your story it sounds like you merged at 50MPH, with a car going a lot faster than that already in the slow lane.

If you can't merge at the speed limit (Or the flow of traffic)onto a freeway,wait until cars that are going the speed limit(Or faster than you) to go by you before getting on.

I did what i usually do in this case and tap the brakes except i hit 'em a little hard and he had to jam his to stay off me.

By this quote it sounds like you piss a lot of people off with your lack of driving skills.

That's a really smart thing to do.First you merge onto a freeway going as fast as a senior citizen on lithium.Then you hit your brakes causing a driver that is DOING FREEWAY SPEEDS to brake hard to avoid hitting you.Maybe it's just me,but you should just stick to surface streets since you can't handle freeway speeds.

Let me take another guess.Were you merging while talking on a cell phone oblivious to everything around you ?

Advice.Don't do things you wouldn't normally do if you weren't carrying a gun.Kinda makes it seem your bravado is only intact when you are carrying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#27]
You tailgate my ass you get one of 2 things. I either tap brakes (tap brakes means to get the lights to come on, not nose dive the front of the car) or I slow down. Dont like it, dont tailgate.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:34:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I had something similar to this happen, but this time the guy in front of me was going VERY slow and I kept having to shift (I have a 5-spd) since 20 mph was tough to maintain in either 1st or 2nd as this guy was slowing down and speeding up.  He kept glaring at me in the rear-view, as if I was trying to "intimidate" him because I was shifting and my engine was revving.  I never got close to him at all, though.

At the light, he starts yelling and screaming in the rear-view.  His passenger starts in too.  I look at him, raise my hands and shrug my shoulders, mouthing "What?".  His eyes bug out of his head, he gets out of his truck, and starts coming towards my car.  All of this at an intersection.  I slowly reach for my pistol, not knowing where this is going.  He points at me, points at himself, then points for me to follow him (like he wants to take me down another road to "kick my ass".  I nod, he gets back in his truck, turns right . . . . . I keep on going straight.  Probably the best course of action.

And people wonder why I often think that allowing everyone to own firearms is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:35:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I ease off the gas real slow.  This woman was riding my ass like a NASCAR draft, and I was doing 50mph in a 45 zone.  She was literally a few inches from my bumper.  I slowed down to 15mph before she finally passed me.  I never touched the brake, and did not acknowledge her when she passed.  I could almost see the veins bulging in her neck.

It is not worth getting upset about.  The great wheel of justice will come around and roll over her someday.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You merged onto a freeway at 50MPH and this surprises you ? Not that you deserved to get "abused" by this irate driver,but from your story it sounds like you merged at 50MPH, with a car going a lot faster than that already in the slow lane.

He never said freeway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#31]
He said highway.... To many thats the same thing.

Quoted:

Quoted:

He never said freeway.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I always hope these asshats decide to get motorcycles.  Then I'll see them (or their remains) in the ER.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:46:45 AM EDT
[#33]
In Kentucky we have a bunch of idiots that pull out from side roads right in front of oncoming traffic.  It's as if they don't even look and they definately do not stop before pulling out.  Apparently they think when they make a 90 degree turn with a rolling stop they are close enough to the 45mph or 55mph that the rest of the traffic is going.  What really pisses me off is when it's a 4 lane and they pull out right in front of me even though the other lane is open.  My usual response is to keep going the same speed for a second and then hit my brakes so the tires lock up  to make the idiots think they are going to be hit.

It sounds like you pulled out in front of someone and got what you deserved, especially after being an ass and brake checking them.  They had the right of way...you didn't.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#34]
You tapped your brakes to show some jerk tailgating you? Amature. I prefer to tap the overdrive switch so the truck drops out of overdrive and slows suddenly without the brakelights coming on. When they suddenly find you decellerating with no extra warning they tend to back off.

Tailgating is simply an attempt to intimidate another driver into doing what YOU want them to do. Tailgating is a demand to get out of YOUR way. Don't like it when others drive the speedlimit and prevent you from breaking the law? Tough. It's their right to NOT violate the law and YOU have no right to try and make them. People driving WAY under the speedlimit? Ever think that they may actually have a reason to drive slower? I've been in the unfortunate situation where my car showed zero oil pressure yet there was literally NO place to safely pull over and call a tow truck. I drove like an old granny hoping and praying that the engine wouldn't lock up on me. I've also been driving to the Dr.'s office so sick I really should have called an ambulance but my judgement was so impared by the illness that I didn't think that clearly. Since those incidents I've been slightly more tolerant of slowpoke drivers.

Those of you who wish to drive 20,30,40+ over the speedlimit, keep on. It doesn't bother me and I used to do it myself. Don't get PO'd though if not everyone chooses that path to follow.

As George Carlin once said in a skit of his. People driving slower than you are a-holes, if they're driving faster, they're maniacs.  It all depends on perspective.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think when we CCW, using restraint is a huge plus for us. Use only when you feel in danger.

Some asshole yelling is not danger to me, its more like comedy. If the prick gets out with a bat or

blade, thats when the 200gr. Hornady goes in his chest  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You tapped your brakes to show some jerk tailgating you? Amature. I prefer to tap the overdrive switch so the truck drops out of overdrive and slows suddenly without the brakelights coming on. When they suddenly find you decellerating with no extra warning they tend to back off.

+1

I also like to pull the emergency brake lever. It's good for laughs to see them suddenly swerving to avoid careening into my back end.

The other good one is to pretend you're looking for a particular turn, slowing down before you get to an intersecting side road, and then accelerating past like it wasn't the one you were looking for. Do that about 4-5 times.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Several years ago a co-worker lost her son in a similar incident.  He was the irate one and got out of his car at a traffic light.  When he reached into the driver’s window, he was put down.  There were witness to the incident and the District Attorney ruled it a clean shot.  No action was taken against the shooter (both civil and criminal).  He did lawyer up and I am sure it cost him a bundle.  This is Texas and the laws favor personal protection and property rights.  The point is those who act like raging mad men take their life’s into their own hands.  Personally, I just ignore those who tail gate in rush hour traffic.  They are the one with the problem not me.  I let the stealth police cars take care of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I did this many, many years ago, and it taught me a valuable lesson.

I was on the freeway going normal speed when a car started tailgating me.  I slowed down for him to pass, but he didn't.  I sped up to move away, but he followed.  I changed lanes; he followed.  I got off at an exit, and got back on the freeway.  He followed there, too.  

So, I hit my brakes.  Not really that hard, but the guy overreacted.  As I was picking up speed I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the car (very small car) spinning around in circles and a straight truck nosediving behind this guy, trying not to flatten him.

I was certain I had killed him.  I went to the next exit and turned around and went back.  Thank God, there was not an accident.  But there were a lot of skidmarks on the road. (proabably in his pants too).

Since that incident, I have never done it again, and would caution anyone else not to do it.
I am not the kind of person that could live with myself if I killed someone over something so petty. Now if someone is tailgating me, I either motion them to go around, or just keep driving and give them ample opportunity to go around me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Several years ago a co-worker lost her son in a similar incident.  He was the irate one and got out of his car at a traffic light.  When he reached into the driver’s window, he was put down.  There were witness to the incident and the District Attorney ruled it a clean shot.  No action was taken against the shooter (both civil and criminal).  He did lawyer up and I am sure it cost him a bundle.  This is Texas and the laws favor personal protection and property rights.  The point is those who act like raging mad men take their life’s into their own hands.  Personally, I just ignore those who tail gate in rush hour traffic.  They are the one with the problem not me.  I let the stealth police cars take care of them.

Exactly. Let's say bullsi's incident turned into a shooting incident.  Would bullsi be happy paying a lawyer to defend him?  It is much easier to just let it go.  And escalating a situation to the point where you end up killing someone is very shitty.  How would you feel knowing that had you reacted slightly more calm, that person would still be alive?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Bingo, no use escelating the situation. If I have a tailgater I just ignore them and put the cruise control on. I don't slow down to intimidate them, I don't speed up an give in to them. I just act like they aren't even there.

On another note, I did have one real idiot the other day almost run into me while I was driving. There was a woman driving slow in the left lane, nobody in the right lane, but she wouldn't move over, so I moved over in the right lane to pass her. As the front of my car gets to about the middle of her car NOW she decides she's going to mosey on over into the right lane. No turn signal, nothing, just come on over! Well, I lay on the horn because I don't want her running me off the road. I'm laying on the horn the whole time as I'm slamming on the brakes to get my front end far enough behind her so I don't get hit and she never even flinches, just keeps on coming! WTF!?!?! You think she would have realized she was cutting someone off and gone back to the left lane, but nooooo.

Of course I didn't get too mad, As soon as I was behind her I moved over into the left lane and passed her as fast as I could (before she decided she wanted to be in the left lane again and cut me off a second time). As I got along side her I looked over and rasied one hand up, palm up and gave her a look like WTF? I didn't flip her the bird or yell, just kind of a "Didn't you see me or hear my horn?"

She just kept looking forward and ignored me. Ok, I can understand ignoring the irrate road rager, but when you just cut somebody off and never even reacted to it or tried to avoid it I have to wonder if you're brain dead and should be on the road at all, or if you just know you're an idiot and are too embarrased, so you pretend like it didn't happen .
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#41]
depends on what kind of car you have. If it semibeater brake check the fucker and if he rear ends you its his fault.  

Ignore the dumbass and maybe even solute him in a smart ass way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a pretty bad inncdedent myself - But it involded someone actually chasing me - I had to put my jeep in 4 wheel drive and cut through a field to get away (I sh*t you not) - Once i got out the other side of the feild - I drove as fast as i could to the local town - and SOMEHOW he caught back up with me - Had to run 2 red lights to loose him . . . .

This dude was crazy - and im pretty sure he was trying to pull a gun the few times i could see in his cab (we had completely cut me off twice on a 2 lane highway - 55 mph zone . .  .and by cut off i mean sped ahead and had his truck sitting at an angle in the road .

I did nothing except pull in his drive way to turn around (seriously) this dude was WACKED out of his head - I was truly scared just b/c i had done nothing- thus i feared he had to be crazy - In all of this . . . I didnt get his plate number . . . I wish I had

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#43]
You should have called the cops. Get this A-hole off the streets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Let it go.  Have the phone ready to call 911 if he gets out of the car; you want a record indicating that you were in fear for your life.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#45]
If you cut him off or not doesnt matter, if he could have passed you it doesnt matter, if he was tailgating you for miles it doesnt matter. If he is acting like an ass it doesnt matter as soon as you hit your brakes you were on his same level and asking for a unpleasant interaction. Make no mistake you started the ball rolling towards a fight.
If he's a moron and you reacted in a less than safe manner what do you expect ? Did you want a fight, did you want him to wreck ? Sounds like you didnt want either and when you got a fight you pussed out. Dont ask for what you dont want.

If you are going start fights you better leave the gun at home.  If you want to carry you should use your head ALL THE TIME. Dont let morons bring you down to their level. Keep above the petty shit you will be better off.

I dont often get tailgated. If I do I slow down and increase the stopping distance from the car in front of me to allow enough time so me and mr tailgater can stop incase traffic comes to a halt in front of me. I will also wave so he knows I know he is there. He will pass soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#46]
My commute is 75 miles each way everyday so I get to deal with jackasses like you all the time.

You were already speeding and breaking the law (5 miles over) but you feel compelled to correct the improper driving of the tailgater.

If you're going to escalate the issue by brake-checking, at least have the balls to defend your position. If you felt you were right to slam on your brakes, why not say so? Slamming on your brakes is a pretty bold statement, why pussy out at the light?

Typical behaviour of so many people these days. When you're safe and comfy you can spout your opinion (tap your brakes). When there are consequences (getting your ass beat at a stoplight), you bitch out (ignore him).

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The best defense as bigdb1 has pointed out is to avoid the conflict.

With the price of gas at $3.00 give or take a few cents I bump draft every opportunity I get...to help the enviroment! I do it for the children!

If someone isn't comfortable with me behind them then a slight brake tap will let me know to pass and move on. It is as easy as that.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#48]

If you can't merge at the speed limit (Or the flow of traffic)onto a freeway,wait until cars that are going the speed limit(Or faster than you) to go by you before getting on.

It's a rural business district,not even close to freeway it goes to 4 lanes only to accommodate all the turning on and off the road. You don't have the correct picture. As I said we were both over the speed limit already. I rarely brake check because I'm usually passing everyone else, this guy was few feet from my bumper and weaving side to side.

The guy may have been in a hurry, but that doesn't mean he can put my life in danger and expect me to go along. As stated earlier assholes will be assholes.

If I'm at fault at all it would be for braking a little harder than necessary.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Which lane were you in?  If you were in the right lane, I agree the guy was an asshole and should have just passed you.  If you were in the left lane, IMHO, you should have moved over...

+1

You escalated the situation when all you had to do was move over a lane and let the dude pass, or you could have gotten behind him.  Sounds like you had a lot of options.

As things turned out... ignoring him and not escalating further was the right thing to do.  

Of course, you could have driven to the nearest car wash and .....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

It's a rural business district,not even close to freeway it goes to 4 lanes only to accommodate all the turning on and off the road. You don't have the correct picture. As I said we were both over the speed limit already. I rarely brake check because I'm usually passing everyone else, this guy was few feet from my bumper and weaving side to side.

The guy may have been in a hurry, but that doesn't mean he can put my life in danger and expect me to go along. As stated earlier assholes will be assholes.

If I'm at fault at all it would be for braking a little harder than necessary.

You are definitely at fault for that.

What if the guy would have just pulled up beside and opened fire without ever giving you the chance to see his weapon? It happens from time to time and we usually only get part of the story from the news.

The guy following you had probably been thinking about "Some Beach, Somewhere!" when you woke him from his dream!

BigDozer66
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top