Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 10:52:51 AM EDT
So, I've been looking at sheds to replace the POS that I have.  I get this "bright idea" to double the size that I have now.  Here is why.  I get a 10x16 shed put a wall in the middle of it line the inside of it with a multiple layers of sheet rock or plywood install a security metal door and use that as my Gun room.  It looks Just like a shed from the outside.  I run some power out there for heat and lights. Bingo unlimited gun storage.  Okay now it's your guys turn to pick my idea apart. I need opinions
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Id rather have some type of underground storage bunker. but thats just me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay I need some realistic opinions
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think you'd want some steel welded into your walls for security.

However, no one would think to look for guns in a shed.

However, sheds get robbed often.  More than houses.
Lots of places diffrentiate between occupied and unoccupied buildings when it comes to theft, with regard to the penalties.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So, I've been looking at sheds to replace the POS that I have.  I get this "bright idea" to double the size that I have now.  Here is why.  I get a 10x16 shed put a wall in the middle of it line the inside of it with a multiple layers of sheet rock or plywood install a security metal door and use that as my Gun room.  It looks Just like a shed from the outside.  I run some power out there for heat and lights. Bingo unlimited gun storage.  Okay now it's your guys turn to pick my idea apart. I need opinions

I like parts of it, but get it alarmed, especially since it's possible to breach it without your knowledge.

My safe is in the garage, I personally am looking at a smaller safe for the house, because I want security and access without having to go out to the garage.

It's like a Carlin routine, only my guns instead of my stuff.

It might also be obvious what you're keeping in there if anyone can see you loading it up/unloading it after range trips.    
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]

I would think you'd want some steel welded into your walls for security

+1

5 minutes (or less) with a chainsaw when your not home, and they're gone....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Terrible idea. If I was a thief I would be alot more likely to break into some dude's shed then his house. Maybe it'll work for your ammo, but I would never put my guns outside my home.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

I live in a well populated ( .25 acre lots) area with a busybody neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the alarm idea.  I'd would keep my house gun in the bedroom and maybe a shotgun in a closet.  I'm just looking to move the bulk of my storage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I take it you don't have an extra large closet/small room to spare inside the house?...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like the alarm idea.  I'd would keep my house gun in the bedroom and maybe a shotgun in a closet.  I'm just looking to move the bulk of my storage.

I'm telling you... Get a big STRONG safe if you want "secure" storage. Everything else is just another risk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

...so the neighbors will see you carrying gun cases to/from your shed.

That's far from ideal.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it you don't have an extra large closet/small room to spare inside the house?...

Well I bought this house that my wife wanted and it doesn't have a basement. Well it has a 4' crawl space (all concrete).  So I'm kind of trying to free up some space in the garage.  I need a bigger safe anyway and a new shed so I am trying to kill two birds with one stone.  The fact of the matter is 5 mins with a chain saw and the bad guys could be in my garage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]
in the house!  In the house!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm telling you... Get a big STRONG safe if you want "secure" storage. Everything else is just another risk.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm with the others. It's probably not a good idea.

Very exposed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think you would want to add a layer of 1" styrofoam insulation to slow the entrance of the thieves.

That is a great idea.  Maybe I'll get a hand made sign that saysGUNS IN HERE
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I have another idea.

Buy the shed and bury it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have another idea.

Buy the shed and bury it.

I feel my dream is slowly dying
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think you would want to add a layer of 1" styrofoam insulation to slow the entrance of the thieves.

That is a great idea.  Maybe I'll get a hand made sign that saysGUNS IN HERE

And also a layer of newspaper to keep the moisture out.   Or another sign of your choice. (RUST ME)?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#21]
If I build this thing more secure than my garage.  How is it not as safe?

Here me out.

Garage has

(1) window
(1) garage door metal insulated with multicode opener
(1) door metal wood core with knob and dead bolt
ordinary construction vinyl siding sheathing, sheetrock

Shed could have

(1) door metal metal frame

2x6 studs double 3/4 plywood walls

no windows
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Where do you live? I just got a new cordless sawzall and my chainsaw is running like a champ!
CH

ETA: I am not a big fan of my firearms being in an out building unless its a full blown concrete alarmed building.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If I build this thing more secure than my garage.  How is it not as safe?

Short of reinforcing the walls with steel and concrete, you would still be better off with a safe in the house.

OK, I give. Go ahead and do it. What type of guns do you have? Where do you live?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Unless you plan on putting a heater in there, your guns are going to rust with the temperature changes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Build an attached concrete vault. Attach it to the side of the garage.

Search the archives as another member did it and it turned out VERY nice.
CH
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Unless you plan on putting a heater in there, your guns are going to rust with the temperature changes.

Power with dehumidification and heat
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Okay after two pages of opinions you guys win. I  am buying a fucking huge safe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

So do I. Recently someone drove up to a neighbors and loaded 2 ATVs onto a trailer and took off in the middle of the day. They sort of blended in with all the lawn service outfits (heck, may have BEEN a LS). Unless you are going to control the humidity, an inside safe would be better- cheaper?.

Before you intall the inside walls, you could notch the studs every 12" and lay in rebar parallel to the floor, flush with the interior side of the sheetrock. Then you would have a more secure storage area and could posibly use it to reload in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

So do I. Recently someone drove up to a neighbors and loaded 2 ATVs onto a trailer and took off in the middle of the day. They sort of blended in with all the lawn service outfits (heck, may have BEEN a LS). Unless you are going to control the humidity, an inside safe would be better- cheaper?.

Before you intall the inside walls, you could notch the studs every 12" and lay in rebar parallel to the floor, flush with the interior side of the sheetrock. Then you would have a more secure storage area and could posibly use it to reload in.

I like that idea about the rebar.  So they can't cut vertically through the walls. But what about the horizontal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Buy a 20 foot seagoing shipping container.  At the 1/2 way point inside, weld another set of doors with some really robust internal hinges and locks.  At this point, they have spent and hour with a torch getting to another set of doors.  They will give up.

Put a video camera inside so they feel that they are on tape and won't come back later.  It doesn't matter if it works, just have a blinking LED.

Weld or screw a secondary skin to the inside of the container and pour concreate in from the top to fill the spaces between the ribs.  Chainsaws don't cut concrete worth a damn.  And cutting torches won't work either.

Weld shut the lifting points so someone with access to a truck capable of moving containers can't remove it.

Put a battery powered car alarm in the unit and have both outer doors, inner doors and glass break protection enabled.  This way, any attempt to tamper with the unit will cause loud noises.

On the outside, put markings for a fake company that deals with radioactive waste with contact numbers to call in case of accidental exposure.

Don't tell  your neighbors - let them worry...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top