Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 10:35:40 AM EDT
Got into an arguement with a relative last night.  

So Hurricane Rita is heading for the Texas coast and last I heard, my hometown which is right on the coast is just east of the projected landfall...  WONDERFUL!

So I commented that I wish it would just turn north and finish off NOLA.  Well that started a great arguement about not being sensitive the thousands that have lost their homes and the hundreds of dead from Hurrican Katrina.  

BUT THAT'S MY POINT!  Most of NOLA is ruined from the flooding, a large majority of the people are still evacuated, and it's already currently overflowing with FEMA, Redcross, National Guard, etc...

So, am I an "insensitive asshole" that my sister-in-law thinks I am?

EPOCH  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't want to finish them off.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say that wishing destruction on any American city is wrong. Why can't you hope that the storm just peters out without doing any damage?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
No, you're not. You're using your head instead of your "feelings". If disaster is going to strike, let it strike an area that was already destroyed so that the rest of us can go on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would say that wishing destruction on any American city is wrong. Why can't you hope that the storm just peters out without doing any damage?

THAT'S NICE BUT...   not very realistic.
it will hit somewhere.
would you rather it destroy a new city or one that has already been totaled?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Hoping that the city gets finished off may be wrong, but I see your point. You don't want another city.....possibly your own......destroyed. New Orleans is already basically trashed so what could one more hurricane do to it right now?

I would have to assume that you would rather the hurricane just dye out as somebody mentioned.....everybody hopes for that.......it's just in the big scheme of things maybe New Orleans should "take this one for the team."

I think that is basically what he is saying.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]
It its wrong, I don't want to be right.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Eh, it's already trashed and beat to hell. The city is nearly empty except for people who can pack up and leave in a day. Let it hit. They can roll out for the duration, then roll right back in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Call me insensitive, but I was hoping the same thing.

-Ben
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What about about Berkeley, Hollywood & S.F. CA?

Ah shucks, throw in The Village in NYC too.

Just keepin' it real folks
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Well if its big and powerful enough to destroy an area, why not hope for it to go to an area thats already pretty much destroyed? I am from neither place but it would be 10X worse to have cities in Texas destoryed then if the hurricane went north into NOLA. Many people are already gone and sadly its mostly destroyed. Of course people say "ohh not again". But if you could control where this Hurricane, which direction would you point it? I wouldnt want it to hit any city btu  hurricanes useually dont just die out, once in the gulf in warmer waters it will pick up and not stop till it hits land.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#11]
You may not be right, but you're damn sure correct.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#12]
we had 80+ mph winds in WI a few weeks ago that did a lot of damage.  Maybe we can get the hurricane to come up here! I wanna test out my new home :)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
we had 80+ mph winds in WI a few weeks ago that did a lot of damage.  Maybe we can get the hurricane to come up here! I wanna test out my new home :)

Trust me, you don't want to go through it if you don't have to. Imagine winds sustained at 130 for hours with gusts up to150+ mixed in.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT'S NICE BUT...   not very realistic.
it will hit somewhere.
would you rather it destroy a new city or one that has already been totaled?

There are plenty of places that storm can land without doing any real damage why wish it on NO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Now now... Lets let the hurricane decide everyone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
It's all Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe if it gets fucked up twice the GOV may think about rebuilding it below sea level
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Got into an arguement with a relative last night.  

So Hurricane Rita is heading for the Texas coast and last I heard, my hometown which is right on the coast is just east of the projected landfall...  WONDERFUL!

So I commented that I wish it would just turn north and finish off NOLA.  Well that started a great arguement about not being sensitive the thousands that have lost their homes and the hundreds of dead from Hurrican Katrina.  

BUT THAT'S MY POINT!  Most of NOLA is ruined from the flooding, a large majority of the people are still evacuated, and it's already currently overflowing with FEMA, Redcross, National Guard, etc...

So, am I an "insensitive asshole" that my sister-in-law thinks I am?

EPOCH  

Ummm, you're not from here, you don't know shit about it. Watching TV does not count. Go fuck yourself. Why would you ever wish that upon us? You're one of ARFCOM's handfull of assholes who think they have NOLA pegged with all your stereotypes and what you happen to see on TV. After all thats happened to my family and my fellow New Orleaneans I could never wish destruction on others. Well now I kind of hope it hits you. Fuck you asshole!

ETA: New Orleans will recover, but things are fragile right now and we can certainly not afford even a glancing blow from Rita. This idea, put forth by Dennis Hastert, that NOLA is unsavable is total bullshit and anyone that thinks that, says it aloud, and means it, can fuck off and die.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
IBTL
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Now now... Lets let the hurricane decide everyone.

Dick Cheney and his Haliburton Weather Machine will decide...thank you very much...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This idea, put forth by Dennis Hastert, that NOLA is unsavable is total bullshit and anyone that thinks that, says it aloud, and means it, can fuck off and die.

Hey.  I think that.  So you personally assaulted me with that comment.  It may be time for an ARFCOM time-out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This idea, put forth by Dennis Hastert, that NOLA is unsavable is total bullshit and anyone that thinks that, says it aloud, and means it, can fuck off and die.

Hey.  I think that.  So you personally assaulted me with that comment.  It may be time for an ARFCOM time-out.

you think that b/c you have no idea what things are like on the ground here. very informed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Our work discussion touched on this.  If it did hit, and hard, it would show how little sense rebuilding the trash pit would be.  If not today, another day one will hit, sending the nation further into debt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Fuck you asshole!

Well it took awhile, but I knew it was coming.  One could make a strong arguement that the lesser of two evils is still evil.  Or that my opinion is a simpleton view that lacks understanding from going thru such a disaster...

And yes, NOLA will be rebuilt, bigger and better than before...  I just don't want to have to rebuild (Insert any random town) along with NOLA

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I know that the majority of NO residents are fine Americans.
However, I have never felt as little compassion for disaster victims as I have this time.
My wife and I regularly donate generously to causes like this.
However, being reminded that I am a racist and that Pres Bush wanted them to die, constantly by the liberals has really left a sour taste in my mouth.
And then the blatant lies.  Stories like the Red Cross being ordered to stay out, but the Mayor screaming that no help was offered.  
And whining about how the Army Corp of Engineers didn't maintain the levees properly or Congress didn't fund them, when it comes out later that Congress funded them immensely but the money was mis-spent.
Maybe it is irrational on my part, but that's just the way it is this time around.
So thank Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the Mayor, the Gov. and the leaders in Congress.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck you asshole!

Well it took awhile, but I knew it was coming.  One could make a strong arguement that the lesser of two evils is still evil.  Or that my opinion is a simpleton view that lacks understanding from going thru such a disaster...

And yes, NOLA will be rebuilt, bigger and better than before...  I just don't want to have to rebuild (Insert any random town) along with NOLA

EPOCH

well you sure could have worded things differently or hoped that it hit mexico or even just fizzled out. Why would causing more harm and damage to fellow americans even be an option in your thinking? I'm sorry if I've come off as fiercely defensive as I did but I'm so sick and tired of ARFCOMMERS treating NOLA as if it is filled with only social parasites and that all hope is lost. These people are so ill informed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know that the majority of NO residents are fine Americans.
However, I have never felt as little compassion for disaster victims as I have this time.
My wife and I regularly donate generously to causes like this.
However, being reminded that I am a racist and that Pres Bush wanted them to die, constantly by the liberals has really left a sour taste in my mouth.
And then the blatant lies.  Stories like the Red Cross being ordered to stay out, but the Mayor screaming that no help was offered.  
And whining about how the Army Corp of Engineers didn't maintain the levees properly or Congress didn't fund them, when it comes out later that Congress funded them immensely but the money was mis-spent.
Maybe it is irrational on my part, but that's just the way it is this time around.
So thank Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the Mayor, the Gov. and the leaders in Congress.

Believe me, I'm just as pissed that my own city's plea for help has been hijacked by Jesse Jackson et al. but they are not victims here, and wishing more harm on the victims is plain evil. And by the way, yes some money was mispent by corupt politicians, but a there was indeed a shortage of funds and the fed has just watched our wetlands get destroyed over decades, the amount of money it has given was just a drop in the bucket. Yet we spend $230+ million to build a bridge to an uninhabited island off the coast of alaska and then billions more on nation building for fucking iraqis. This is a problem that has spanned administrations from Carter to Bush.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Call me insensitive, but I was hoping the same thing.

-Ben

+1... A sign from God every now and then is a good thing.  

No, I not much of a 'God' person.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, while you've been "hoping", I've been flapping my arms wildly in order to actually redirect it. Call me insensitive....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope it fizzles out , if not chicago could use a good flush.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Bush will try to blow the levees again.

----------------------------

"Is it safe?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top