Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 3:51:51 AM EDT
Thinking of surprising my wife with one for her B-day in December.  She will be working from home in her office, surrounded by a computer, large laserprinter/copier, phone, etc.  Room is a rectangle, about 12'x18' with lots of windows.

I want her to have something that allows her to listen to the radio or CDs, that sounds very good and rich, etc. and that won't be fucked up by other electronics in the area.

Is the Bose worth the money, or should I just get a cheap boom-box?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Bose = Suxxor
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a WaveRadio, it takes up very little room and it does sound like a bigger system. But I got mine for free because the Bose system in my car kept breaking and it was a consolation prize for my troubles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:56:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't own a Bose but I have used one.  They are a really nice radio with good sound.

Kind of pricey though; for a radio.  I probably wouldn't buy one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#4]
go to your best buy and look at some of their mini systems- can get one that sounds as good or better and look cool too.

Bose speakers = suck...not sure about how the WR sounds...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#5]
If you buy Bose, realize that you are buying clever marketing and packaging.  Their stuff is way overpriced for what you get.  

That said, I don't think there are any solutions that are quite as small that sound halfway decent.  For an office I would prefer something like this:

www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120900&I=257FSG5

or

www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120900&I=033DM33S

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
you can take it with you to the nursing home.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Bose is severely overpriced for the sound quality that you get.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bose is severely overpriced for the sound quality that you get.

+1

They don't suck, but they are severely overpriced, and there is better out there for less.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Slightly OT:

Does the same hold true for their noise-cancelling headphones?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Bose Wave Radio. You'll love it, but you'll hate the price......

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

One of my co-workers uses them.  He really likes them.  His first pair were stolen out of the plane.......he liked the Bose so much he went out and bought another pair.  These ones, he doesn't leave in the plane.  

vmax84

But as far as the waveradio, good sound, but I think they are way over-priced.  JMHO.

Edited to add:  No Adam, I didn't steal them.  vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll sell you mine for $100 plus S&H. It's only the radio but you can hook a CD portable CD/MP3 player up to it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Geee, can I sell you an Ionic Breeze air filter as well? How about some oxyclean?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#14]
No highs, no lows, must be a Bose. Don't waste money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Bose: Better sales through Marketing.

All of their products are gimmicky rip offs overpriced and marketed to be revolutionary technology. For $300 you get a $20 radio. The noise cancelling headphones are okay, but again, $200 for ~$50 headphones. Don't even get me started on their home theater systems. Literally $3000 for a $100-$200 system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I've bought a few of their products. Some I haven't been satisfied with, some I have. I heard a Wave radio in a store once and wasn't impressed. Could be worth the 100 bucks bomber wants for his, but I wouldn't pay full price for one.

Here's my review of the Bose stuff i bought:

Bose 301's: Not bad, sound ok.... Overpriced

Bose Center channel: My ass still hurts... Overpriced and sounds like shit.

Bose 4001 Waveguides (stand up speakers): Nice speakers, the Highs leave something to be desired... Don't feel like i got ripped there. Though they are sitting in the closet collecting dust at the moment (Thanks to Kilpsch)

Bose Media Mate Computer speakers: Decent sound from a small package for a decent price. I pack these up with my laptop to bring to work. If size and price is not an option (i.e. desktop computer)  they just plain suck ass though.

With that said, I would NOT pay 300 bucks + for the WaveRadio.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you buy Bose, realize that you are buying clever marketing and packaging.  Their stuff is way overpriced for what you get.  

+1.  Stay away from Bose unless you attribute value to having the Bose name on your stereo equipment.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Geee, can I sell you an Ionic Breeze air filter as well? How about some oxyclean?

Not to hijack, but I went to two different friends's apartments this past weekends and both had Ionic Breeze filters.  The first person, when asked about how effective said filter was, said she didn't notice any difference.    I don't think they do anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
There was a time when Bose was good, was developing new and innovative products.
That time is long gone, and has since been replaced by a helluva marketting campaign which uses the former Bose prestige to good effect.

Are they good? Yes.
But, in their pricepoints there definately better gear out there. If Bose was half what it is now it would be a very viable contender for good bang for the buck. However, at its current price point, its grossly overpriced for what your getting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
How secure is the office?  How much $ are you willing to lose?

A friend had one.  Definately not worth the $.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Bose is crap.

IMHO, Sony makes a better value audio component than Bose.

We've got all Yamaha around here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The noise cancelling headphones are okay, but again, $200 for ~$50 headphones.

I don't know about that.  I have a pair of the original QuietComforts, and I've compared them to the $50 alternatives.  There is simply no competition.  The bose ones slaughter low freq noise; the other brands I tried just cover it up with static.    Are they "worth" $300?  They are to me if they're the only game in town.  As for other stuff, I'm quite happy with my $100 KLH 5.1 receiver & speakers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, guys, for the info.

Hmm, now I need to figger out what to get her.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thinking of surprising my wife with one for her B-day in December.  She will be working from home in her office, surrounded by a computer, large laserprinter/copier, phone, etc.  Room is a rectangle, about 12'x18' with lots of windows.

I want her to have something that allows her to listen to the radio or CDs, that sounds very good and rich, etc. and that won't be fucked up by other electronics in the area.

I deicided to get one because I work in a tiny office 10 x 10, will probably work here for another 25 years, and wanted to hear a nice sound in tiny package (not much space).  I got what I wanted, but I did have to pay for it.

It sounds like you have more room in your wifes office for a minisystem that will offer comparable sound quality for less.  

On the other hand, you might get a little sumtn-sumtn from the wifey if you do the Bose.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
On the other hand, you might get a little sumtn-sumtn from the wifey if you do the Bose.  

Always looking at the bright side!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I deicided to get one because I work in a tiny office 10 x 10, will probably work here for another 25 years, and wanted to hear a nice sound in tiny package (not much space).  I got what I wanted, but I did have to pay for it.

It sounds like you have more room in your wifes office for a minisystem that will offer comparable sound quality for less.  

After being apart for 7 weeks, all I will have to do is say, "Hi" and I'll be getting the sumtn-sumtn
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#28]
OK, then - what mini-systems would you all recommend?  I don't mind paying, but I want a good value.  Most of all, I want RICH wonderful sound quality.  The computer input isn't a big deal, and it doesn't need lots of gadgets.  Tape player is immaterial.  Mostly radio and CDs.

Most important, though - RICH wounderful sound.  Note I didn't say it had to be LOUD - just very nice sound.  My wife used to sing and appreciates sound quality.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
OK, then - what mini-systems would you all recommend?  I don't mind paying, but I want a good value.  Most of all, I want RICH wonderful sound quality.  The computer input isn't a big deal, and it doesn't need lots of gadgets.  Tape player is immaterial.  Mostly radio and CDs.

Most important, though - RICH wounderful sound.  Note I didn't say it had to be LOUD - just very nice sound.  My wife used to sing and appreciates sound quality.

your requirements are mutually exclusive. You just simply can't get rich wonderful sound from a mini system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought one for my wife two years ago.It's OK, nothing great IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I have one of the Bose Wave Radios with the CD player in it.  I would not have spent the money for one, but it was a gift.  I simply asked for a radio/CD player for around the house, and was expecting something like a Sony from Wal-Mart, and would have been happy with one.  The Bose was a very nice suprise.  It has very clear sound that projects nicely.  The house I lived in when I first got it had a rather open floor plan, and I noticed that the sound, while not overwhelmingly loud, seemed to follow me as I moved around.  If you like a lot of loud bass, it is not the thing for you.  I think it would be great for an office, though, as long as she can secure the office when she's not there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#33]

www.intellexual.net/bose.html

"If your goal is to appeal to and impress housewives, then this system gets the job done, but if your goal is high fidelity, high performance, high endurance, upgradeability, and fair market value pricing then I would very highly suggest you look elsewhere."
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
www.cambridgesoundworks.com/images/gold/full/c174rczzz.jpg

www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio&item=c174rczzz

I would definetely trust the Cambridge Soundworks radio over shitty Bose any day.

The people here saying Bose is shit are dead on. Somehow they managed to make people think that if something says Bose on it it must be good, nothing could be further from the truth. Most if not all of their speakers contain cheap paper drivers in cheap plastic housings, not the sort of components you'd expect in their price range. What they have managed to do is trick people into thinking their speakers have deap bass or nice highs because they are very familiar with acoustics and how people percieve sound. In other words, to make up for their speakers lack of deap bass they boost the higher bass frequencies to make you think you hear actual deap bass, same thing with high frequencies.

I can't believe more people haven't caught onto their game of scamming consumers with shitty products.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Bose=No highs and No lows.  I used to work in the audio/video industry for close to 6 years and Bose is not all that.  Like others said, clever marketing and that's it.  +1 for Cambridge Soundworks.  

I have a Model 88 from the late Henry Kloss that sounds just as good as the wave radio.  It has a similar port design that wraps around the radio internals and "tunes" the low frequency coming out of the front.  It is what it is, you can't expect monster sound from a little radio but it has its place in a bedroom, kitchen or den.    Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

One of my co-workers uses them.  He really likes them.  His first pair were stolen out of the plane.......he liked the Bose so much he went out and bought another pair.  These ones, he doesn't leave in the plane.  

vmax84

But as far as the waveradio, good sound, but I think they are way over-priced.  JMHO.

Sounds like you two are talking about two different things.

He - noise-canceling consumer electronics headphones

You - noise-canceling aviation headsets

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Great sound for a tiny package, but it ain't worth the price you pay.

I got a Panasonic SC-PM193 mini system. 100 bucks at Costco. Sounds every bit as good as the Bose when the speakers are scrunched together. Even better when you spread them apart. 5cd changer, mp3 capable. Dual amps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Bose disproves the notion that you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to hijack, but I went to two different friends's apartments this past weekends and both had Ionic Breeze filters.  The first person, when asked about how effective said filter was, said she didn't notice any difference.    I don't think they do anything.

I got one as a gift a few years ago.  It really works, and really is silent.  I would not buy one for myself, but I do use it.

Back on topic:  A guy at work had a Bose radio in his office.  Sounded good, but not better than something 1/3 the price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

vmax84

Airline passengers are the big target market of the Bose consumer noise-cancelling headphones.  They really kill the low freqs (like engine and wind noise) and make travel much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Bose is a hocus-pocus marketing company.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Bose = Blows
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

vmax84

Airline passengers are the big target market of the Bose consumer noise-cancelling headphones.  They really kill the low freqs (like engine and wind noise) and make travel much more pleasant.

There are other options for listening to music in high noise environments, some are even quite cheap.
www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/

Back on topic...
If your primary concern is sound quality in a small area, then a good pair of headphones will beat any system.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#44]
These will knock your socks off.

Klipsch

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
www.cambridgesoundworks.com/images/gold/full/c174rczzz.jpg

www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio&item=c174rczzz

Cambridge Soundworks is usually the company I recommend to people who discover the bS that is Bose, but like the design.  Those guys have done an admirable job of making designs meeting the same basic form factor as Bose, but offering higher quality at lower prices.  You can't go wrong when compare to the comparable Bose product.

For cheaper though - and stuff you can find locally - those Panasonic systems, like Mall-Ninja posted, really are pretty damn good for the money.  I have one in my bedroom at home.

Sony offers about the worst speakers you can buy.  This translates into their integrated mini systems always having them as the weak link.  Whoever recommended them, I recommend a hearing exam.  It is the fact that most people are used to Sony level quality, that they are sometimes so impressed with Bose.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, Sony sucks about as much ass as Bose.

They both have name recognition(for some strange reason), and they both suck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top