Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 3:45:34 AM EDT
www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=8388

Muslim Council of Britain Attacks Burger King
September 19, 2005 08:41 AM EST

By Sher Zieve - Saying that one of its ice cream product's labels contained a logo that looked too much like Arabic script for "Allah", the Muslim Council of Britain demanded that Burger King change it, CNSNews reports. Although there have been only a few dozen complaints, as reported by the London Sun, Burger King will now have to redesign the product's lid.
This is the latest effort by Muslim groups to increase Muslim sensitivity worldwide. Karl Lagerfeld of Chanel was forced to scrap a dress he had designed because there was lettering in its pattern that translated to "They are the ones who found guidance", which Muslims said is found in the Koran. Subsequently, Supermodel Claudia Schiffer received death threats for wearing the dress. Another company, Unilever, was forced to change the design of its Wall ice cream logo, as Muslims advised the "hearts" on its label looked too much like Allah in Arabic.

In 1997, a Muslim group required Nike to change the word 'air' on its shoes, as the group said it also looked too much like "Allah" in Arabic. This also led Nike to conduct training classes in Muslim sensitivity and to make a donation to an Islamic school.

Not touching this one, just don't feel like it today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd explain that the symbol was not intended to be similar to anything -- it was abstract.  That failing I would explain that Burger King was sorry but they weren't entitled to not being offended.  And that failing go pound sand.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
People getting offended offend me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
would somebody please post a friggin pic of the logo??? i intend to market a brand of toilet paper with that goddam logo on every sheet!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
would somebody please post a friggin pic of the logo??? i intend to market a brand of toilet paper with that goddam logo on every sheet!!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
dupe-but at least a dupe with ice cream!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top