Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:57 PM EDT
So... Title pretty much says it all.  Anybody recommend any websites or give any advice for a 3 gun NooB?

Oh yeah,  and are pump shotties pretty useless at a match?

EPOCH  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Pump shoties can be an advantage at times.  Depends on the course of fire.  Just show up, listen carefully to the RO, learn and have fun. Worry about speed and precision when you get a few matches under your belt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody know if there are caliber requirements or divisions?  I have 9, 40, and 45.  Figured the G19 would be the best shot due to low recoil and high capacity.

What about the AR?  Are 16/14.5" the norm or do they like the 20" barrels best?  How far should I be expected to shoot out to?  

Pretty sure I'm going to make an ass out of myself the first few matches I enter

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I took second place at a three gun match with a pump shotgun.  Quit whining and shuck that bitch faster.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What about the AR?  Are 16/14.5" the norm or do they like the 20" barrels best?  How far should I be expected to shoot out to?  

EPOCH

Isn't it a great feeling when you have to ask yourself, "Now, which AR do I want to use today?"
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Just see what is required for the 3 gun match such as .223 or .308 for long gun, .308 for 'he-man' only match and so forth. Red dot, scoped/no scopes, or iron only might be listed They might say to have a .40 or larger for pistol, just gotta see what is on the schedule. The uber tricked out AR's dont seem to place high, too much stuff gets in the way with the sling and switching to your secondary.

As far as pump gun go for it, half the people there will be with pumps. Dont get the shottie hung up due to short stroking it in an attempt to cycle it faster, or bang it back so hard that your next round does something like hang half way sideways out the ejection port. The jam adds way too much time.

One of the best ways to make up time is to be fast with your feet moving to the next station and try to remember your planned method of engagment, it sucks to blow through the course and see all this time added to your total because you forgot to engage a target, forgot to do a reload at a certain point, or not enough hits on certain targets like I have done

There is some kinda wording out there like 'slow is fast' or something, you pick up speed after doing more matches and practice. Your gonna save time on your sprint to the next station and having a quick good shot. You probably wont have the national masters grade type shooters show up at your match so just go and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just see what is required for the 3 gun match such as .223 or .308 for long gun, .308 for 'he-man' only match and so forth. Red dot, scoped/no scopes, or iron only might be listed They might say to have a .40 or larger for pistol, just gotta see what is on the schedule. The uber tricked out AR's dont seem to place high, too much stuff gets in the way with the sling and switching to your secondary.

As far as pump gun go for it, half the people there will be with pumps. Dont get the shottie hung up due to short stroking it in an attempt to cycle it faster, or bang it back so hard that your next round does something like hang half way sideways out the ejection port. The jam adds way too much time.

One of the best ways to make up time is to be fast with your feet moving to the next station and try to remember your planned method of engagment, it sucks to blow through the course and see all this time added to your total because you forgot to engage a target, forgot to do a reload at a certain point, or not enough hits on certain targets like I have done

There is some kinda wording out there like 'slow is fast' or something, you pick up speed after doing more matches and practice. Your gonna save time on your sprint to the next station and having a quick good shot. You probably wont have the national masters grade type shooters show up at your match so just go and have fun with it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
... Heck man, you have one of the best events countrywide coming up in a few weeks. Go check it out and ask questions. ARFCOM's own SinistralRifleman gives free introduction courses here for newcomers interested in joining practical action multi-gun shooting sports. He touches on mind-set, safety rules, scoring and equipment

... You should contact him, he is exceptionally good at explaining what it takes to get into the game. And absolutely yes - make it fun first

Big, 3 Gun Match - Waco, TX 9-30-05 to 10-2-05  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anybody know if there are caliber requirements or divisions?  I have 9, 40, and 45.  Figured the G19 would be the best shot due to low recoil and high capacity.

Pretty sure I'm going to make an ass out of myself the first few matches I enter

EPOCH

Do it its fun, I use a G19 and havea G17 magazine if I need a few extra rnds.
We don't go past 75 yrds with the rifle, I heard some three gun comps go out further.

Just go out and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Go with equipment you have now.  Watch other shooters to see what extra equipment/modification works.  If you can, see if you can borrow other shooters gear for a stage or match.  The hobby is expensive enough without trying all kinds of expensive crap that you find out does not work for YOU.

Oh, and HAVE FUN.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]

like I have done

There is some kinda wording out there like 'slow is fast' or something, you pick up speed after doing more matches and practice.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Been wondering about doing one of these for a while.  I've been shooting IDPA for quite a while, and know what works there.  I probably have 1/2 dozen handguns I could shoot and all would work pretty well.

For rifle I have a 20" AR15 with a red dot scope.  Should be functional enough.

Shotty I really don't have anything except my pump gun I use for birdhunting.  (Hey what can I say, I don't have a use for a shotgun besides that, yet).  

Should be enough to get started right?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#13]
What exactly is a 3-gun match? Is that were you take a rifle, a pistol, and a shotgun and shoot at various targets from behind various obstacles on a course?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What exactly is a 3-gun match? Is that were you take a rifle, a pistol, and a shotgun and shoot at various targets from behind various obstacles on a course?

yes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What exactly is a 3-gun match? Is that were you take a rifle, a pistol, and a shotgun and, while experiencing various equipment malfunctions, shoot at various targets from behind various obstacles on a course?

Yes
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Okay I was just wondering exactly what was involved...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Go, Shoot, Enjoy...what more is there to life? I'd recommend taking weapons that are the most reliable you own. Then pick stuff that you shoot naturally and well. Take it semi-slow and make good hits. You'll be surprised how well you place if your weapons don't jam up and if you hit with all of your shots.

Take some birdshot and a couple of boxes of slugs for the shottie. Take every extra mag you own for the rifle and pistol. ALWAYS take at least one more magazine with you than a course of fire requires. Think through each course of fire before the buzzer goes off and shoot to YOUR strengths. Don't be a sheep and just shoot the COF the same way everyone else does unless you've decided on your own that that's the best way to shoot it.

Have fun. You'll see a ton of cool gadgets and find that they don't make some dork a better shot than you. At the last match I shot the most tricked out M4gery toting guys shot their double taps SLOWER than I did using a stock M1A
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'd recommend taking weapons that are the most reliable you own.

Good advice, but don't be suprised when the ultra reliable range gun fails at the most unexpected time.   Practice dry firing and clearing your weapons at home.  When you have a jam or failure in a stage, it will just be second nature to clear it and move on.   This also develops good skills to have should you ever need to use your weapons in a "real world" environment.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Been wondering about doing one of these for a while.  I've been shooting IDPA for quite a while, and know what works there.  I probably have 1/2 dozen handguns I could shoot and all would work pretty well.

For rifle I have a 20" AR15 with a red dot scope.  Should be functional enough.

Shotty I really don't have anything except my pump gun I use for birdhunting.  (Hey what can I say, I don't have a use for a shotgun besides that, yet).  

Should be enough to get started right?

Yeh you have enough to get started.  Heres where I shoot 3 gun: www.wisconsinshooters.com  Its right over the border in Lacrosse, Wi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top