Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 7:53:41 PM EDT
Now i completely understand why people love guns so much, the overwhelmingly sense of safety and "oh boy I have my bases covered" after assembling a working firearm is... woot, awesome.

At the same time, I find myself thinking about my rifle when I should be doing something else, like studying, developing my social life, etc. Guns are a addictive hobby as i've discovered, and I can see why people go through all the trouble of getting a CCW or whatever for "just in case". Thing is, this sense of safety may in most cases be just psychological. If i was a psych major i'd study people's brain when they hold a gun, and when they aren't holding a gun... and maybe give em a good scare and see how they react differently. I know I'd be much happier with the gun, haha!

As soon as I turn 21 it's time to pick up a Sig and CCL. Funny thing, i'm a democrat but I think i'll grow out of it someday.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like guns. Ever since some people tried killing me, I've grown even fonder of having one around.

Less than four months until I'm eligible for CCW...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Guns make my pee pee tingle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, I can't say I get a big psychological reaction when I pick up a gun. Maybe the first time but it goes away pretty fast. Don't get used to the "safe" feeling of having a gun, it can make you act foolish.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like guns. Ever since some people tried killing me, I've grown even fonder of having one around.

No one's tried to kill me yet, but I've always had a facsination with firearms... Back in high school used to go airsofting every week.

Thing is, I need to not let the fact I own a awesome rifle consume me! MUST... HAVE... SOCIAL... LIFE... instead of just reading ar15.com and doing homework
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Now that is funny...and true.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You too?!

I need to logoff for 10 minutes... brb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
soon enough you'll realize that it's just another tool and the high will go away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Guns don't get me off.  Shooting guns does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I will give you some advice now boy that you'r going to need to remember.

Guns will serve you better then any woman, its preferable to spend your time thinking about guns rather then women.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
soon enough you'll realize that it's just another tool and the high will go away.

I hope not, every day when i get home from work i dissassemble and reassmble my sidearm multiple times and put it back. Never gets old.

Im glad im not alone with this, i was beginning to think i was odd
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Actually, it was me. h.gif

Sorry.

h.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Well based on this thread alone I'd hope that somebody does an actual phsychological study, haha

Maybe people who are overly optimistic don't like guns, and those who do are more cautious? That's the "political" gun owners.

Then there are people who are neither overly optomistic or cautious and think guns are fun. I used to think that was me till I bought one. Now "they" will never take away my rifle, except from my cold dead hands,
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Guns are tools. I love them, each one is like my children, but they are still tools.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#15]
A firearm is a simple tool lacking magical properties, but the construction, features, and function of some make them more interesting and more fun to operate than others.  Simply thinking about, holding, or firing any kind of firearm gives me as much a chubby as farting around in a minivan -- the characteristics of the specific firearm are what makes all the difference for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You too?!

30 seconds to do the deed and 9 1/2 minutes to clean up!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Most of my guns serve the purpose of tool.  However, I own several, and have a wish list of more that I would own for no reason other than the pride of ownership, the admiration of the craftsmanship, and the joy from shooting them.

But then again, I aint hardcore
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A firearm is a simple tool lacking magical properties, but the construction, features, and function of some make them more interesting and more fun to operate than others.  Simply thinking about, holding, or firing any kind of firearm gives me as much a chubby as farting around in a minivan -- the characteristics of the specific firearm are what makes all the difference for me.

Hahaha, maybe I just get into my hobbies a lot more. I just shifted my hobby from cars to guns a month ago, and when I was first looking into buying a car i was OBSESSED with car magazines and doing research online. Read every shop manual and such.

Now I can't stop poring over troubleshooting FAQs, Ammo review and feeback etc... Thinking about saving pennies for a Blackwater course too. Just like how operator training is the first "mod" one should do in the car world, it's probably the same for firearms
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Safety doesnt exist. The reason behind a CCW is because you DONT feel safe. The feeling of  "safety" and gun ownership should never coincide.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
"When I hold a gun, I know how God must feel when he holds a gun." -Homer Simpson

GM
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload.
And nobody's gonna go to school today,
She's going to make them stay at home.
And daddy doesn't understand it,
He always said she was as good as gold.
And he can see no reason
'Cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown?
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down.
The telex machine is kept so clean
As it types to a waiting world.
And mother feels so shocked,
Father's world is rocked,
And their thoughts turn to
Their own little girl.
Sweet 16 ain't so peachy keen,
No, it ain't so neat to admit defeat.
They can see no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown?
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down.
All the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with her toys a while.
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die.
And then the bullhorn crackles,
And the captain crackles,
With the problems and the how's and why's.
And he can see no reasons
What reason do you need to die?
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I get a high when I'm shooting or handling my guns, but it is a different kind of high.  I feel like I'm doing something that a man should be doing.  Kind of feels like when you finish a project or take care of some of your other responsibilities.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hahaha, maybe I just get into my hobbies a lot more. I just shifted my hobby from cars to guns a month ago, and when I was first looking into buying a car i was OBSESSED with car magazines and doing research online. Read every shop manual and such.

Certainly you had a specific kind of car in mind, however, which had something about it that grabbed your attention and got you excited, correct? You probably were not drooling over all cars or even most. That was what I was trying to say about guns. Like cars, they are tools, and a gun simply being a gun is not enough to get me very interested and excited, even if I can appreciate its practical purpose. Yet there are specific characteristics that can make a gun stand out in my mind, such as its historical significance, a specific feature, its aesthetic appeal, and, of course, the whole package. Such guns can certainly grab my attention to the point where I might think about them quite a bit or go out of my way to learn about them as much as possible. That's what happened with AR15s, for examples. Others don't do anything at all for me, like Glocks, even if they are so reliable that supposedly you can bump fire them under water disassembled.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Safety doesnt exist. The reason behind a CCW is because you DONT feel safe. The feeling of  "safety" and gun ownership should never coincide.

BullSHIT.  Even in the safest city/location anywhere, there is always that crazy just waiting to try something.  With a weapon, optimally a pistol, you can defend yourself and others, with out.....  Columbine....

Imagein how that gun-grabber made fiasco at Columbine would have gone down if schools were not "weapon free zones".  (not too weapon free, the BG has weapons, duh!)  What if the faculty had weapons or heaven forbid, students as well?  How differently do you think things would have gone?  What if airline pilots were armed?  How differently do you think things would have gone 4 years ago?  Huh?

DU is that way
<-----------------
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#25]
What a gun represents to a Leftist is discipline. Leftists hate things that may have repercussions, that require careful planning, the discipline of memorizing and practicing only one way of doing something. Leftists want to "make it up as they go along," kind of like Mayor Ray Nagin did with the hurricane emergency "planning," 'cause acting on plans causes frustration in their tiny shriveled brainstems. That and the bong resin and cobwebs make too formidable a barrier to rational thought and the Joy of Order.

The obligations of gun ownership cause Leftists to confront unpleasantries like: Crime, Totalitarianism, the fact that there are Bad People In The World Who Can't "Just Get Along," etc.

In summation, the sense of obligation for personal and public safety required by the civilian gunowner is too rigorous and daunting a chore for a Leftist to contemplate. They'd rather pretend that the "ooky, silly, self important Nazi-types" who want to be policemen and soldiers, who will be watched by some Leftist politico, do their fighting and defending and policing for them.

They're too busy buying hemp clothing and patchouli oil, and adjusting their sweater-hat to "Dead" perfection to worry about such trivialities.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Guns are bad. That psycholgical "high" that you get from having a gun...BAD! Only bad people have guns because guns make people do bad things.

I'm a good person, I don't have any guns. I get my psychological high from doing nice things like planting trees, recycling and helping the less fortunate who are too motivationally challenged to go out and get jobs. I just come here for the BOTD threads.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Tools my ass! If it was legal, I'd MARRY my EBR! I love her so! She makes my 'thang' sang.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Having a gun is a HUGE responsibility. I own and carry weapons, because ;
1: I firmly believe it is my heritage, and my obligation  as an American citizen to  bear arms, remember, if you fail to excersize your rights, you run the risk of losing them!
2: better to have a gun and not need it, that need it and not have it.

I, however, do not look foward to ever having to use my weapon for anything other than "practice",but, I am prepared to protect myself and my family.

I enjoy target shooting, and feel comforted that I can protect my family, and myself from those that may want to do us harm.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Democrats have a strong psychological reaction when I pick up a gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Having a gun is a HUGE responsibility. I own and carry weapons, because...

...you're bad. And not bad like Shaft bad, bad like Jeffery Dahmer bad.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I see what you're saying Tex, hehe

But when I first got my car, i was probably drooling, but I was in too much of a stupor to notice. Washed and waxed it every week for a summer... Now, i've sold off most of it's expensive upgrades and haven't washed it in two months.

Sorry baby, Daddy's got a new toy!

With cars, I only liked cars that had "battle proven" results, ie cars that had racing heritage. Anything else, especiallly cars that try to be 2fast2furious bored me silly. With guns, I like firearms that I see in the news in the hands of pros. Hunting guns bore me, but anything with any military history 19th century and newer gets my attention.

I wish there could be MP-5 forgeries sooooo bad!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't get excited around guns. If anything, shooting is relaxing for me. I think it comes from years of shooting on the rifle team in high school and college. I would REALLY like to get my skills back where they were at then, I was at the point where I could see my pulse affect sight picture. Shooting requires relaxtion.

I still get in that "zone" like then where I block out everything but myself, the rifle, and the target, but without practice my skills are not where they should be.

Sadly, when the free Anschultz and range went away my practice dropped way off. I am looking for a good way to shoot competition again, but at a fraction of what most cost. Sadly the only high power club and range within a decent distance of me is run by a bunch of crusty old farts who make it impossible to join without serving as a defacto range slave for a year long probation period, after which they will let you know if you are worthy of joining.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BullSHIT.  Even in the safest city/location anywhere, there is always that crazy just waiting to try something.  With a weapon, optimally a pistol, you can defend yourself and others, with out.....  Columbine....

Imagein how that gun-grabber made fiasco at Columbine would have gone down if schools were not "weapon free zones".  (not too weapon free, the BG has weapons, duh!)  What if the faculty had weapons or heaven forbid, students as well?  How differently do you think things would have gone?  What if airline pilots were armed?  How differently do you think things would have gone 4 years ago?  Huh?

DU is that way
<-----------------

I just made argument to a freakazoid liberal about 10 minutes ago, you should have seen the look on her face
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Most of my guns serve the purpose of tool.  However, I own several, and have a wish list of more that I would own for no reason other than the pride of ownership, the admiration of the craftsmanship, and the joy from shooting them.

But then again, I aint hardcore

Yup. Each of my guns is a tool. My .22 and shotgun were to get me acquanted with firearms, safety, responsibility, etc. and practice my marksmanship. My .30-30 is for hunting.

When I got my WASR-10 my dad commented that it seemed like a fun little toy. I replied, "nope. She's all business." After he fired it, he agreed that it was "kinda ugly" (until I clean it up anyway) but "fun and pretty darn functional".
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Don't get used to the "safe" feeling of having a gun, it can make you act foolish.

Yeah... who said "having a gun doesn't necessarily mean you're armed" or something like that..... 'Cooper?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You too, huh?

too bad I can't get a CCW here in the PRK....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know about a Psycological High, but I know this shit is addicting
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#38]
When I shoot my guns, I don't get a high.  

To me it is a zen-like experience; shooting clears my mind,  and it also relaxes me physically.  

I can spend hours at the range-even though it will seem like minutes.  I concentrate on the targets and adjust my positioning and my sights/scopes, focus on my breathing and squeeze the trigger.  The outside world melts away.  Bliss.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I will give you some advice now boy that you'r going to need to remember.

Guns will serve you better then any woman, its preferable to spend your time thinking about guns rather then women.

that, there is some sage advice, provided this young man fails to have good luck with women (or to create his own luck   .
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
1: I firmly believe it is my heritage, and my obligation  as an American citizen to  bear arms, remember, if you fail to excersize your rights, you run the risk of losing them!

I, however, do not look foward to ever having to use my weapon for anything other than "practice",but, I am prepared to protect myself and my family.

I enjoy target shooting, and feel comforted that I can protect my family, and myself from those that may want to do us harm.

+1, that's the right idea
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, that's the right idea

Amen, brother.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Just to clarify, when i mean "high" i don't mean you get your rocks off like a crack addict.

I mean you get a pleasant feeling, like, hmm, this feels like home, nice and comfy, etc. I can see some view firearms just as tools, but look at the others who have responded and of course gone off on political rants, like how people who aren't right wing don't have discipline... haha, wonder how Kalifornia got so effing rich, they just found the money right?

There is no way you can tell me "they" don't have some kind of attachment to firearms and what they represent. Hahaha, well, my next course of business is to buy as many AR lower receivers and AKs as possible just to hoard up for the next ban should it ever come.

I'll just buy a bunch of stripped receivers and leave them at my aunt's storage for a decade or something... That way i won't be a hypocrite when I vote democrat, because at least i'll have MY bases covered, hoho. Like the boys scouts say, be prepared!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I don't get a high from carrying a gun around. I get very grounded in reality.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it was me.

Sorry.

now thats some funny shit
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I like firearms, I neoy th ephysics invovled in autoloading firearms especially, but I also enjoy Longbows and knives,

I also have an extensive coin collection. I doubt I suffer a psychological high from owning a firearm, though I do from firing them (conditioned stimulu response to happy memories when I first fired firearms...)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You too?!

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#47]
The barrel of a gun is a phallic symbol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Just to clarify, when i mean "high" i don't mean you get your rocks off like a crack addict.

I mean you get a pleasant feeling, like, hmm, this feels like home, nice and comfy, etc. I can see some view firearms just as tools, but look at the others who have responded and of course gone off on political rants, like how people who aren't right wing don't have discipline... haha, wonder how Kalifornia got so effing rich, they just found the money right?

snip

Hey junior: The people in Kali got rich by selling phony shit and Leftist-inspired "Diversity" as entertainment to the lame-brained wonders who run the entertainment media all over the rest of the world. The result is a continuous stream of garbage and filth that targets, with far greater efficiency than the tobacco companies could muster, young and susceptible minds all over the globe.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread away from "right wingers must be studied for the endomorphine surge when they handle their man-killer" direction. Hope you're not running that study.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#49]
no disrespect samsong, but there seems to be a very large bias of opinion on this website. As such, I did not intend to enter political mudslinging. The entertainment industry is pure garbage as we all know, but the video game industry has grown larger then it! I'm a political moderate, as are my friends, so I don't know where you guys come up with a preconceived image of people who aren't purely right wing as lazy, undisciplined, blah blah. My image of the average californian is average business man, a lawyer, a computer programmer, etc. Just because someone is different in their political beliefs doesn't make that them the devil incarnate, haha... One of my buddies is a gung-ho young veteran going to my school thanks to the GI Bill, and I have to remind him that choosing friends based on political affiliation is a pretty bad idea, because in the 52/48 percent of people that agree with you on politics, there are a lot of scumbags and weirdos. A pitfall of the two party system

That being said, I have a predisposition to being a gun nut and freely admit that. I find cleaning my rifle to be just as fun as tinkering with my car (careful not to over clean!) and I enjoy going to the range, and intend to do so as long as i'm a citizen and resident of the United States. I bet a study would definitely find something going on in my brain when i've got a firearms in my hands... mua haha! It's that psychological feeling that cost Clinton Congress over the AWB I bet, and from the looks of it, there will never be something as horrible as the AWB again!

PS: I'm only 20 and i'm still learning. Everyone tells me i'm a repub waiting to grow up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
snip

I'm a political moderate, as are my friends, so I don't know where you guys come up with a preconceived image of people who aren't purely right wing as lazy, undisciplined, blah blah.
snip
...because in the 52/48 percent of people that agree with you on politics, there are a lot of scumbags and weirdos. A pitfall of the two party system

snip

PS: I'm only 20 and i'm still learning. Everyone tells me i'm a repub waiting to grow up.

I'm with ya, broski. Forty years a livin' on the planet, forty years of watching people largely fulfill their stereotypes (to my utter disappointment - Mom treated everyone with deference and humility, Pop taught me respect for all, but had his "predjudices," which were actually well-formed opinions - that I cast no value on at 20, per the usual train of human evolution ) has taught me the lessons I need to learn about American society, and its somewhat downward-spiraling direction.

It's largely the dimwitted affair that I was warned would become (and prayed against) the country's current state of existence. I ain' gonna hit anybody on the head with any Bibles or nuthin', I'm just an old ex-Navy crab that's got it in for what I see is the mental disorder of Leftist Religio-Philosphy.

Anyway, you may become a moral absolutist judgemental preachy prick like me in 20 more years. Give it a chance. You may like it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top