Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 5:54:25 PM EDT
Do you think the people getting the FEMA money should be able to buy some beer with it?

I dont agree with spending it in a tittie bar, mostly because it's a ripoff and better value could be had picking up a case of Busch at the Quikie Mart but I think if a guy wants a few brews that's OK with me.

I have a friend who lost everything in the hurricane and I wrote her a check and said use it how you see fit. If you need to go out for a drink or whatever but use it guilt free with no thought to ever paying it back.

I know if it was me that at some point I'd need to have a few beers to relax while I rebuilt my life.

What say you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you buy beer with foodstamps?

If not, then why not?

You have your answer.

ETA - Personal donations to a friend are one thing. Taxpayer money is something completely different.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Should've gave them gift certificates to somewhere like Target or Home Depot. Clothes, food, small appliances, etc. but theres no alcohol in Target (IIRC).
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If they use the FEMA money to buy beer then where are they going to live?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
So you dont think out of two grand it would be ok to go buy a twelve pack? I mean for the guy who is using the money to otherwise get back on his feet and rebuild his life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have lost EVERYTHING, a beer should be pretty far down on the list of shit you need.

JMHO and YMMV
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So you dont think out of two grand it would be ok to go buy a twelve pack? I mean for the guy who is using the money to otherwise get back on his feet and rebuild his life.

Sure why not I would love to buy him a 12 pack when I have to debate buying myself one.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Two grand doesn't go very far when you don't have jack shit. You need to get off your ass and go find a job, not be sitting around drinkin' beer, gettin' all depressed and shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

2 hours work at McDonalds would earn enough to buy a 12 pack.  Get a JOB  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow. You guys are harsh, a twelve pack of Busch is like 6 bucks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you have lost EVERYTHING, a beer should be pretty far down on the list of shit you need.

JMHO and YMMV

I personally think just the reverse is true.  But do it with your own money, not with money someone gave you out of charity (unless they knew you and wanted you to have a beer).
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuckers need to buy beer and lap dances with their own money, not mine.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You might as well drink the free passed out water and use the $6 for underwear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's the principle. Go get you a job at WalMart's. When you get your first pay check then it's Miller time.

Beer is for working people who bust that ass at a job and aren't living off of other people's money.

Speaking of which...I'll be back in about 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the principle. Go get you a job at WalMart's. When you get your first pay check then it's Miller time.

Beer is for working people who bust that ass at a job and aren't living off of other people's money.

Speaking of which...I'll be back in about 45 minutes.

It will be while before some can get jobs, apartments, all that stuff.

Me? I think if the guy is honestly trying to get on his feet he might need a beer at the end of the day and I dont begrudge him one. Going to a tittie bar is out of the question but come on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMHO and YMMV

I personally think just the reverse is true.  But do it with your own money, not with money someone gave you out of charity (unless they knew you and wanted you to have a beer).

If I am relying on someone else to feed, cloth, and shelter me, I think I would have enough respect for them and myself not to use money given to me for staples on beer.

But as I stated earlier.......ymmv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top