Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:26 PM EDT
I have a second hard drive in my PC at home for pics and music.  Is it possible to remove the 3.5 floppy and install a third internal hard drive in its place?  Also, is Ebay the best place to pick up a 40 or 60 GB for a decent price and is there a certain brand to steer clear of?   Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it shouldnt be a problem at all, as long as you have an extra IDE or SATA channel available.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, it shouldnt be a problem at all, as long as you have an extra IDE or SATA channel available.

How will I know if that's the case?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

hmmm,  basically the answer is there is no point in taking out the floopy drive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How will I know if that's the case?

How many CD-ROMs do you have?

What is your motherboard model number?

Normally, a machine can take 4 regular IDE devices, two masters, and two slaves.  Not counting any RAID controllers you have installed.

If you have any SATA ports, look at the motherboard and see if there are any open.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
you do realize the floppy used a different power and data cable right??

a standard computer can use 2 floppy drives depending on the cable used

and a total of 4 ide devices! either 2 HD 2 CDroms or 3 HD 1 CD, and so on

a total of 2 devices per channel.  

adair_usmc.... beat me to it

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmm,  basically the answer is there is no point in taking out the floopy drive.

Unless there is no more room to mount the hard drives in the case, then you could use the spot where the floppy was to put the hard drive.  But yes, they do not use the same hook-up.

I personally dont mind if the hard drives are glued to the bottom of the case, but some people arent as forgiving as I am about where the hard drives go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing is that the floppy cables and HDD cables are different. So make sure you either have an extra connector on the HDD cable or have a second HDD channel (on motherboard) to attach another HDD cable to plug in the extra HDD.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I need more storage space.  My primary is in need of a reformat and my second one is almost filled.

I have a CD burner and DVD ROM.  Could I put another hard drive in place of one of the CD devices, pull all of the data that I need to it, and install it in place of my second, almost-filled drive?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless there is no more room to mount the hard drives in the case, then you could use the spot where the floppy was to put the hard drive.  But yes, they do not use the same hook-up.

I personally dont mind if the hard drives are glued to the bottom of the case, but some people arent as forgiving as I am about where the hard drives go.

I figured that is what you ment, but I had to be an ass.  Besides, who the hell uses floppy drives anymore?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Just buy an external drive to plug into a USB port.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I need more storage space.  My primary is in need of a reformat and my second one is almost filled.

You could always just buy one big monster drive, and get rid of one or two of the others.

I am one to talk though, I have two 400gb hard drives, two 250gb hard drives, and two 36.6 gig raptors in RAID 0, and overall they are over 60% full.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figured that is what you ment, but I had to be an ass.  Besides, who the hell uses floppy drives anymore?

They are still good to have around for the odd video card BIOS update, boot disk, etc.  But you are right, for the most part, they are pretty much worthless anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top