Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 5:48:14 PM EDT
There's a grand total of 2 washers and 2 dryers in the entire dorm. I was in dire need of doing my laundry so I headed down there about 25 minutes ago to throw in a pair of loads. As I got down there I saw one washer was open and the other had recently finished a load (timer was at 0 and the door hadn't been opened yet).

Figuring the person would be along shortly I threw my first load into the open washer and sat back and waited for the other person to come and take their shit out. 5 minutes passed, then 10, then 15, then 20.

Finally I said enough is enough. Why am I forced to wait because some dickwad can't be bothered to come back in time to take care of their shit. So I carefully took all of the washed clothes out and set them neatly on top of the washer. I threw in my stuff, started the second load, and went on my way. I'm heading down in about 10 minutes to be sure I'm early enough to getmy crap on time, I always do so as to not make anyone else wait.

Was this an asshole move? Or would you have done the same thing?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not removing one's own laundry from a community washer/dryer would be the asshole move.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not removing one's own laundry from a community washer/dryer would be the asshole move.

That's how I look at it. Wasn't sure if it was taboo to move someone's sacred laundry or something
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
btdt

im sure whoever belongs to the laundry will think its an asshole move, but i agree with YOU  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A55hole move?

HELL NO!

I do it all the time.

3 functioning washers.  4 dryers.  Communal laundry room.

And people have the audacity to bi#ch you out for it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
If they want to keep it in there, they need to fucking pony up some more coin.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They are being inconsiderate. When I use a laundry machine I don't own I have that shit timed to the minute, and I'm there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What IS an asshole move is to throw a small sprig of poison oak into an unattended dryer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The real test is when I head down right now, a dryer was all done for the same 15 minutes I was down there. Now it's been almost 30, so I may have to make another move....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a timer, since I do the family laundry.  I set it, and it's for the time for the washer and/or dryer.  You're on my time.  Don't like it? SOL.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
beware the red sock
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah i think it would only be an azzhole move if you took their clothes out while the machine was still going....if someone is gonna leave their clothes in the machine for a long time, then that's not your problem.  I think it was considerate of you to wait for a little bit to see if they came back, and then practical to finally take the clothes out and use the machine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Toss it....it's rude to leave laundry in there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Come on, be honest. You just wanted to see if there were any good sniffin' panties in there!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I do it all the time. Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how I look at it. Wasn't sure if it was taboo to move someone's sacred laundry or something

Sniffing the panties is taboo...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Did it all the time when i lived in the dorms.  not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I do it all the time. Don't sweat it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
15 minutes was my polite time. After that, THEY are the asshole. I tried to chose the dryers that had the "lace and frills" in them. The look on the owners faces was priceless when they realized I have my hands all over their undergarments. Some of my buds with even less scruples sorted them into piles occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
The real asshole move is when people look into a running dryer to see if it is empty, and don't restart it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My polite time was 5 minutes if the washer ended while I was there (I moved them immediately if it was obviously they had been sitting a while), but then I rarely had that problem as I did my laundry at 7am on Saturday mornings.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Let me offer a reality check for you; You just took someone's laundry out of the washer when it was done and put yours in.  You then felt the need to create a thread about it, complete with poll, to ask if it was alright.

Why yes, it was ok to do that.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#22]
great quesiton, I did it once and never again.  In my bldg are two elder ladies and three hotties and someones stuff was in the washer.  I moved it into dryer and even paid for it in case they got pissed.  Either the old ladies have some SERIOUSLY racy underwear or I moved one of the hotties.  Whoever it was never said a word and didn't thank me.  Well, one of these days she's gonna want her thong th-thong thong thongs back!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#23]
One time in the barracks I put two loads of whites in two empty machines, dumped soap in, started  them  and walked away to get some bleach.

I came back 5 minutes later and put bleach into the bleach dispenser without looking at the clothes in the machine.

Imagine my supprise when I finally looked at the clothes and found both of the machines I had put my laundry in were now full of dark clothes, including uniforms belonging to PO2 shit-for-brains, the resident barracks asshat.

I went to the (now) running dryers and opened them up and found my clothes in there still caked with soap on them.

So I figure WTF, I take my liquid bleach and dump two cups in each machine and then again fill the bleach dispenser to the brim, unload my wet soapy clothes from the dryers and leave.

An hour later I hear PO2 shit-for-brains screaming bloody murder in the laundry room, 10 minutes later one of the barracks rats comes by and tells me that someone had dumped bleach all over PO2 shit-for-brains clothes.

Taught that fuck a lesson.  

After that I always sat by the machine and waited for my laundry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Well...the original clothes from the washer I took them out of still were unmoved. My load finished so I did the polite thing and put them back in the original washer. So the dumbfuck won't even know his clothes were moved.

There were still clothes in the dryer that had been sitting there now for a good 45 minutes. I took them out and put my load in. I may go down to watch my shit though because the dryer doors don't lock while they're working (the washers do) and I don't want some prick doing anything to my shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Miss Manners would say that it is impolite to leave your laundry in the washer when it's possible that others will need it.  This is especially true in a situation where multiple units must share the few washer/dryers that are available.

Mr. (Ill)manner would say, "Way to go dude.  Why didn't you just drop their stuff in one of those baskets and leave it there?"

Yah did gud.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
So did you sniff her panties too?

Don't lie
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So did you sniff her panties too?

Don't lie

there wasn't enough to smell.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well...the original clothes from the washer I took them out of still were unmoved. My load finished so I did the polite thing and put them back in the original washer. So the dumbfuck won't even know his clothes were moved.

There were still clothes in the dryer that had been sitting there now for a good 45 minutes. I took them out and put my load in. I may go down to watch my shit though because the dryer doors don't lock while they're working (the washers do) and I don't want some prick doing anything to my shit.

That can be SO taken out of context... Anyone need a sig line???
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Once I did exactly the same thing and finally after about half an hour I decided to do the same thing and remove the clothing,  I am pulling out some uh,  rather revealing  clothing.  I am trying not to stare or anything and suddenly from behind me I hear "uh,  what are you doing"  just as I pull out these thong underwear.  

I turn around and there is this totally hot chick standing there looking at me like i'm some sort of perv.

I couldn't even say anything, I just stammered and started flinging her undies at her and trying to explain myself.

totally humiliating...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]

When I used to use the dorm laundry facilities, I'd give people a courtesy 5 mins to move their shit (after it was finished).  After that, it's fair game.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to use a public laundry one time on business. I saw a woman load up one of the washers with cloth diapers that were literally, full of shit

Never used one since...

oh and BTW, well done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#34]
It's an asshole move if and only if:  there is an open dryer and you fail to place the wet clothes in the dryer.

I've dealt with limited laundry facilities in college and in the Army, so simply moving someone's laundry is not an asshole move.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It's an asshole move if and only if:  there is an open dryer and you fail to place the wet clothes in the dryer.

I've dealt with limited laundry facilities in college and in the Army, so simply moving someone's laundry is not an asshole move.

+1

We do it all the time here...

Not a big deal..Dump your clothes in the washer....if it is finished, someone usually throws them in the dryer.... You do the same for someone else if you need the washer, and it has wet clothes in it...

Hell...I have come back an hour later to find my clothes neatly folded!

Of course, our laundry is free, not coin opperated...so that helps...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There's a grand total of 2 washers and 2 dryers in the entire dorm. I was in dire need of doing my laundry so I headed down there about 25 minutes ago to throw in a pair of loads. As I got down there I saw one washer was open and the other had recently finished a load (timer was at 0 and the door hadn't been opened yet).

Figuring the person would be along shortly I threw my first load into the open washer and sat back and waited for the other person to come and take their shit out. 5 minutes passed, then 10, then 15, then 20.

Finally I said enough is enough. Why am I forced to wait because some dickwad can't be bothered to come back in time to take care of their shit. So I carefully took all of the washed clothes out and set them neatly on top of the washer. I threw in my stuff, started the second load, and went on my way. I'm heading down in about 10 minutes to be sure I'm early enough to getmy crap on time, I always do so as to not make anyone else wait.

Good move. We have that rule where I am too.

Once you start your load, you gotta keep track of the time and be back down in the laundry room when it finishes.

If someone has to wait for an open washer or dryer, and your machine has been done for a while, your clothes are gonna get tossed
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell no it not a problem at all.  Move the shit and do your business.  I've had brain farts before and forgot about my laundry.  I apologize to the people that had to touch my shit to move it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You waited a reasonable amount of time to be considerate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Once I did exactly the same thing and finally after about half an hour I decided to do the same thing and remove the clothing,  I am pulling out some uh,  rather revealing  clothing.  I am trying not to stare or anything and suddenly from behind me I hear "uh,  what are you doing"  just as I pull out these thong underwear.  
I turn around and there is this totally hot chick standing there looking at me like i'm some sort of perv.
I couldn't even say anything, I just stammered and started flinging her undies at her and trying to explain myself.
totally humiliating...

When you pull clothes out like that, do it in giant handfuls and get them out of your hands ASAP, do not examine the clothes.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Moving it is one thing.  Playing with it is another matter.

(You know who you are).

CWO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yep.  I used to give somebody 15 minutes in dorms/apartments.  One time I had some whiny hippie freak bitch yell at me for 5 minutes for moving it 1/2 hour after it was done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Bada Bing

Back in the apartment renting days, there was one washer/dryer to serve 6 units in a building where I lived. We had one neighbor who was notorious for leaving their stuff in the washer and/or dryer all day/night. We started moving the stuff out and putting it on top. The chick accosted me one day when she came into the laundry room and interrupted me moving her stuff out. She got huffy with me and told me she didn't appreciate me handling her personal clothing. I told her the rest of the residents of the building didn't appreciate her slovenly attitude towards the community laundry room, and if she wanted to act like she owned the place, then maybe she should buy a home and leave her underwear in her own washer until it mildews. She huffed out without saying anything. Never had a problem after that either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#43]
The unwritten protocol in Marine barracks is to remove unattended laundry out of the machine.  If it was in the dryer, put it on top of the dryer.  If it was in the washing machine, put it in the dryer.  

Simple.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The unwritten protocol in Marine barracks is to remove unattended laundry out of the machine.  If it was in the dryer, put it on top of the dryer.  If it was in the washing machine, put it in the dryer.  

Simple.

I wasn't in the MArines, but thats how I do it.

I mean damn, I Can't wait around all day for you to come back and get yo clothes.

I will see if there is a towel or anything, or an unattended laundry basket by the dryer.

And wrap the clothes up so there is a way to grab it all and keep it together.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

amen! i'm assuming no one else was in the room cuz you were waiting around for 20 minutes.

you didn't throw it on the floor, you stacked it neatly. you did the right thing absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple.

I wasn't in the MArines, but thats how I do it.

I mean damn, I Can't wait around all day for you to come back and get yo clothes.

I will see if there is a towel or anything, or an unattended laundry basket by the dryer.

And wrap the clothes up so there is a way to grab it all and keep it together.

+1 Dont make a big deal about it ...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

SOP in dorms, just make sure youre careful with the other persons clothes.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#48]
YES!!!
payback is a muthafukka!!!

Quoted:
One time in the barracks I put two loads of whites in two empty machines, dumped soap in, started  them  and walked away to get some bleach.

I came back 5 minutes later and put bleach into the bleach dispenser without looking at the clothes in the machine.

Imagine my supprise when I finally looked at the clothes and found both of the machines I had put my laundry in were now full of dark clothes, including uniforms belonging to PO2 shit-for-brains, the resident barracks asshat.

I went to the (now) running dryers and opened them up and found my clothes in there still caked with soap on them.

So I figure WTF, I take my liquid bleach and dump two cups in each machine and then again fill the bleach dispenser to the brim, unload my wet soapy clothes from the dryers and leave.

An hour later I hear PO2 shit-for-brains screaming bloody murder in the laundry room, 10 minutes later one of the barracks rats comes by and tells me that someone had dumped bleach all over PO2 shit-for-brains clothes.

Taught that fuck a lesson.  

After that I always sat by the machine and waited for my laundry.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#49]
i duuno about putting other folks laundry in the dryer, especially a womans! some of the shit has to be set for specific temps or they add stuff to the load. i think just stacking it is better to do...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'd have waited until I put in my other load and got it going. But NO if someone ELSE is rude FIRST anything YOU do that is also (sort of) rude is negated. That's why Timex (and I'm sure a LOT of other brands) make watches with alarm/timers.

IOW, is it rude to handle someone else's laundry? Yeah, UNLESS they were a rude asshole who left it there as if THEY were the only folks who ever uses the washers/dryers. (And there's a limited # of machines.) if there were 20 machines - and you did it NOT because you NEEDED to to keep from inconveiniencing yourself, but because you wanted to be a dick - that's different - but that's not what this was.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top