Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 3:21:27 PM EDT
I was at a wedding in Vegas this weekend. The was a soldier their with a green barret and a special forces patch. He was in the green pants and green jacket, green undershirt and green tie. He was wearing combat boots spit shined and they his trousers were tucked into his boots. Is this proper procedure? As a former Marine, it stricked me as strange they wear combat boots in a dress uniform. And this guy did seem like a legit SF guy. Didnt brag to anyone. Just awnsered there questions, mostly from younger guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Combat boots are legal to wear with blues in the Air Force.  I've seen several soldiers wearing them too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
From my JROTC days, I remeber the instructors telling us that combat boots in Class A uniform signifies airborne qualified.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
SF, Ranger, and  Airborne units wear the Class A pants tucked into their Spit-shined Jump boots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was at a wedding in Vegas this weekend. The was a soldier their with a green barret and a special forces patch. He was in the green pants and green jacket, green undershirt and green tie. He was wearing combat boots spit shined and they his trousers were tucked into his boots. Is this proper procedure? As a former Marine, it stricked me as strange they wear combat boots in a dress uniform. And this guy did seem like a legit SF guy. Didnt brag to anyone. Just awnsered there questions, mostly from younger guys.

Did you ask him any questions?  i know I would have!

Justin
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SF, Ranger, and  Airborne units wear the Class A pants tucked into their Spit-shined Jump boots.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
it means that you are in a unit that conducts airborne operations. this is where the term " leg" comes from. it is a shortening of the term " straight leg", referring to the pant legs of those in non-airborne units.
Simply because someone's boots are bloused does not mean they are airborne qualified, and you can be airborne qualified, but in a non airborne unit(i.e. recruiters).
There was a telephone line that ran the length of the airborne training brigade in Benning that had literally hundreds of pairs of low quarters(issue black leather dress shoes) hanging from it.
This was back in '86, so they may not still be there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Also I might add, Honor Guards can be authorized to wear the Class A pants tucked into Spit-Shined boots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
it means that you are in a unit that conducts airborne operations. this is where the term " leg" comes from. it is a shortening of the term " straight leg", referring to the pant legs of those in non-airborne units.
Simply because someone's boots are bloused does not mean they are airborne qualified, and you can be airborne qualified, but in a non airborne unit(i.e. recruiters).
There was a telephone line that ran the length of the airborne training brigade in Benning that had literally hundreds of pairs of low quarters(issue black leather dress shoes) hanging from it.
This was back in '86, so they may not still be there.

That reminds me of another tradition, when one ETS's, take a pair of boots laced together and toss them into the power lines and have them hang there by the unit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also I might add, Honor Guards can be authorized to wear the Class A pants tucked into Spit-Shined boots.

I hear everyone gets a black beret too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

I didnt get to ask him any questions. I was going to buy him a beer but never got the chance. He was with his wife and kid the whole night so I thought I wouldnt bother him and let him spend time with his family. If he was truly a Green Barret then im sure he spends a fair amount of time deployed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
From my JROTC days, I remeber the instructors telling us that combat boots in Class A uniform signifies airborne qualified.

I think you also need to be assigned to an airborne unit.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That reminds me of another tradition, when one ETS's, take a pair of boots laced together and toss them into the power lines and have them hang there by the unit.

Yeah, you get bonus pints if you paint them some fucked up color sceme first.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
They were jump boots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, just mike correct. The bloused teousers indicate that he is serving in a ABN unit, which all SF Groups are.

As far as they berets go, conventional army does have black berets. Red berets are issued for ABN designated units. Tan for Army Rangers, and Green for Special Forces.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aviator

We had one guy paint his bright red, then liberally glue red glitter and sequins all over his boots before he tossed 'em onto the line.

If you looked carefully, you could read the following words on the soles:

"There's no place like home."

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've been told on good authority that MPs are inculded in that, but I haven't seen the regs or anything, so it could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yup, my bro was married in his gear like that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]
The first time I ETS'd, I gave my boots one hell of a paint job.  I used a set of old jungle boots and had about every concievable color on them.  IIRC, I painted them red, blue, green, gold, silver, and several other colors.  I had been building model airplanes in the barracks, so I used whatever paint was leftover from the builds.  I also wrapped duck tape around the laces, so that they would have a tough time cutting them down from the wire.  

The way our company area was laid out, the telephone wire ran directly over the front of our formation area.  I tossed my boots so that they were hanging about 10 feet directly over the 1SG's head during PT formation that day.  I'd have loved to see the look on his face when he saw those boots.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

I didnt get to ask him any questions. I was going to buy him a beer but never got the chance. He was with his wife and kid the whole night so I thought I wouldnt bother him and let him spend time with his family. If he was truly a Green Barret then im sure he spends a fair amount of time deployed.

Oh, I understand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aviator

I painted mine blue, took a crap in them and used 2 huge nails and hammered them into the spot where I would stand in morning formation.

They used to have a cool dsplay of ETS boots but the new smaj tossed it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top