Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 2:50:15 PM EDT
I went and got myself another impluse buy yesterday. I was at an auction yesterday afternoon and bought myself a 4000W Generator.  It seemed like a good deal at the time. Don't know much about it.

Maybe someone here could tell me more about it? Is it a good buy or a bad one?

Coleman Powemate
Powerbase Series

MDL# PM0544000
4000 Watts
120/240 AC
33.3/16.7 AMPS
3600 RPM
60 Hz
Unknown HP

Here are some pics of it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it to me.  I am at ground zero for Rita.  

Another option:  send ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you put it in the garage and run it for 10 minutes every month to make sure it is still in good shape. One day it'll save you a lot of grief... or maybe you'll be lucky and just run it for 10 minutes every month till you are old and gray.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now you put it in the garage and run it for 10 minutes every month to make sure it is still in good shape. One day it'll save you a lot of grief... or maybe you'll be lucky and just run it for 10 minutes every month till you are old and gray.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, 3rd floor. Not really ment for my living space. Like I said, impluse buy. But if anyone would like to purchase it, just let me know. I don't know it's worth, so just make me an offer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
nipple clamps?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd guess it's somewhere around eight horsepower, given the big 8.0 on the end.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
How much did it run you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
$300 plus "auction fees"
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the 10HP 5000 watt version. Starts with a single pull everytime, even after sitting 18 months.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have the 10HP 5000 watt version. Starts with a single pull everytime, even after sitting 18 months.

This one has an electric start. So it says. Guess it has a pull cord too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Run it every once in a while and plug something to it for like 20-30 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see an electric starter anywhere on the engine - or a battery to spin the starter, either...

Looks like a home-brew special - Someone had an alternator from a Coleman generator laying around, and a Honda GX-series engine (excellent engine, BTW), a little bit of sheet steel, and...Presto!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Return it & get your money back. You got taken for a ride. For the same money, you could have had a 4 kilowatt generator. You should have asked here first.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Return it & get your money back. You got taken for a ride. For the same money, you could have had a 4 kilowatt generator. You should have asked here first.

Can't, sold as it. No refunds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
first you need a real gas tank. that one will last you about 2 hours tops. 5 gallon minimum. have the motor tuned up and oil changed immediately.run it 20 min every other month. and change the oil every 50 hrs or so of use. should last you a long time.

oh yea..... keep spare spark plugs on hand. you will thank me for that one later

Is there any way I could modify it or is it good as is? Outlet wise. Are the changes easy or difficult?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

unless i am just to drunk to read 4000 watts is 4 kilowatts

That's what I thought. 4000w = 4kw
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
All you need now is lots of gas, an ARk, some animals, and a good flood.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
first you need a real gas tank. that one will last you about 2 hours tops. 5 gallon minimum. have the motor tuned up and oil changed immediately.run it 20 min every other month. and change the oil every 50 hrs or so of use. should last you a long time.

oh yea..... keep spare spark plugs on hand. you will thank me for that one later

How much is the engine worth?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

unless i am just to drunk to read 4000 watts is 4 kilowatts

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Right over their heads!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Now what?  Well, decide if you really want to sell it, and if not:

Buy 4 HD (appliance-rated) extension cords that will reach everywhere in your apartment plus another 5 or 10 feet, and at least 3 power strips with true surge/spike protectors, and some shorter extensions.  Ideally you'd have a UPS for the computer.  You WON'T be able to hook the generator to an apartment outlet to supply the ones in other rooms, due to safety issues (and it wouldn't make sense even if you could).  

I'd dedicate a single HD extension to the refrigerator, which takes extra current to start up the motor.  Make sure the surge current to start the frige doesn't exceed the rating of the weakest point from the generator on out.   In fact I suppose it's possible that you could overload the generator if you were drawing current on the other three when it started up at the same time, so maybe you'd need to let it run only when everything else is turned off.

And of course you can't run the generator indoors, unless you intend to leave it in your will to the EMT's who will cart you away after you die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

ETA: Yaaarrr!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it just me, or is the muffler missing on the powerhead?

See here:

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is it just me, or is the muffler missing on the powerhead?

See here:

It's just you. Thats the muffller there. Rocker cover is the silver thing underneath that says OHV. Carb on the right, exhaust on the left routes up to the muffler on top.
The black thing is a cover/heatshield.

ETA: Those mounting holes are probably for some add-on tail pipe to route the exhaust away from the unit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Now what?  Well, decide if you really want to sell it, and if not:

Buy 4 HD (appliance-rated) extension cords that will reach everywhere in your apartment plug another 5 or 10 feer, and at least 3 power strips with true surge/spike protectors, and some shorter extensions.  Ideally you'd have a UPS for the computer.  You WON'T be able to hook the generator to an apartment outlet to supply the ones in other rooms, due to safety issues (and it wouldn't make sense even if you could).  

I'd dedicate a single HD extension to the refrigerator, which takes extra current to start up the motor.  Make sure the surge current to start the frige doesn't exceed the rating of the weakest point from the generator on out.   In fact I suppose it's possible that you could overload the generator if you were drawing current on the other three when it started up at the same time, so maybe you'd need to let it run only when everything else is turned off.

And of course you can't run the generator indoors, unless you intend to leave it in your will to the EMT's who will cart you away after you die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

ETA: Yaaarrr!!

How quiet could I make this thing? I don't want to make too much noise, or somebody might kill me for my power.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#28]
The two regular receptacles are obviously 120 volt....  Probably 15 amps, you'd have to look at the little pushbutton circuit breakers there.

The other two, with the flat prongs going 'horizontal' are 15 amp/240 Volt receptacles.

at only 15 amps, they're kind of not very useful, but you can power a good bit off the regular 120V outlets.   4000 Watts is a decent size.

Will keep your fridge cold, run a microwave, some lights, and other stuff too.....  All in all, it's a handy thing to have, if you need it.

John

p.s.  I'm an electrician..... And the other poster who said get GOOD heavy-duty extension cords is ABSOLUTELY correct.  Do NOT skimp on those...... Try and get them with 12 gauge conductors.  Your average, everyday cheap shit ones are quite often 18ga. and I've actually watched them melt/burst into flames...  

Get the more expensive ones.... they're well worth a few more bucks, from a safety standpoint alone, and they don't overheat and cause wicked voltage drops.. Depot's got em....  I know that for sure, and probably one of the cheaper places to get them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#29]
First thing you need to do is go visit the Survival forums - GD guys here don't know jack about generators, survival etc.  

Change the oil first, then try to run it.

Muffler won't help where most of the sound is probably going to come which is where the pull starter is.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The two regular receptacles are obviously 120 volt....  Probably 15 amps, you'd have to look at the little pushbutton circuit breakers there.

The other two, with the flat prongs going 'horizontal' are 15 amp/240 Volt receptacles.

at only 15 amps, they're kind of not very useful, but you can power a good bit off the regular 120V outlets.   4000 Watts is a decent size.

Will keep your fridge cold, run a microwave, some lights, and other stuff too.....  All in all, it's a handy thing to have, if you need it.

John

p.s.  I'm an electrician..... And the other poster who said get GOOD heavy-duty extension cords is ABSOLUTELY correct.  Do NOT skimp on those...... Try and get them with 12 gauge conductors.  Your average, everyday cheap shit ones are quite often 18ga. and I've actually watched them melt/burst into flames...  

Get the more expensive ones.... they're well worth a few more bucks, from a safety standpoint alone, and they don't overheat and cause wicked voltage drops.. Depot's got em....  I know that for sure, and probably one of the cheaper places to get them.

Any way I can upgrade/replace the receptacles with new ones?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

For a lawyer, you are a funny guy !
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

Assuming you mean upgrade/replace as in "more amps" pretty much the answer would be no.

You're limited by what the actual windings in the generator are capable of.   You could put a 50amp plug on there, but the first time you put that kind of load on it, it'd smoke.

It MIGHT be possible to combine the two 240V 15 Amp windings into one 240V 30Amp output, BUT that would require knowing what phase angle they're at and they'd need to match almost exactly, or else *POOF* also....

That aint a "do it yourselfer" kind of thing to modify.  And it's likely not possible with how most generators are wired internally.    You can't often just change them like that because the windings aren't in phase with each other.  It's a lot more than just twisting two wires together.  You can smoke the entire thing right quick.

I'd say just use it for what I mentioned before, and you CAN always use one of the 240 receptacles to run an air conditioner on  

It's still a good thing to have around, either way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Had to edit my original reply:   "plus 5 or ten feet"  (to keep it outside where you'll be guarding it).

The underside should have cushioning (feet?) if you have to set it on concrete or other solid material.

Think about fuel storage (how & where) and stabilizer.

Investing in a spare pull cord might be wise.  They're not usually that hard to install when needed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Assuming you mean upgrade/replace as in "more amps" pretty much the answer would be no.

You're limited by what the actual windings in the generator are capable of.   You could put a 50amp plug on there, but the first time you put that kind of load on it, it'd smoke.

> How about a new generator with higher  winding output?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
ETA: Those mounting holes are probably for some add-on tail pipe to route the exhaust away from the unit.

IIRC, they are for attaching a spark arrestor screen (required in order make the engine legal to operate in federal forests).

If you're serious about reducing the noise, you might consider building a "dog house" for it. Plywood works OK; concrete shower liner sheets work even better. You'll need to leave several openings in the enclosure for airflow.

I would DEFINITELY give this generator an extended pre-flight test before counting on it to work reliably during an emergency. Run it for several hours while powering your anticipated loads, and see if any problems crop up. You don't want to wait until the middle of an emergency to discover that the engine has a oil consumption problem, or the alternator section won't produce a stable output voltage!

Also, some alternators are equipped with brushes, which tend to wear over time. If so, consider replacing them now - very cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#36]
How about a new generator head?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top