Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 1:25:44 PM EDT
Texas Officer Drowns in Rescue Attempt

HEATHER CASPI
Associated Press

A Texas police sergeant drowned in a tragic rescue attempt that claimed two lives on the Trinity River on Thursday, September 15.

Sergeant Denny Galloway, 34, had served the San Jacinto County Constable's Office at Precinct 2 for 11 years.

According to local news reports, Galloway responded to a 911 call with two Texas Department of Public Safety troopers and attempted to rescue a U.S. Marine, who had just returned from Iraq and was celebrating with his family. The Marine, Bernardo Vasquez, 21, had jumped into the river to rescue his uncle.

The uncle was swept onto a sandbar and survived, but Galloway and Vasquez fell victim to the current and drowned.

Galloway is survived by his wife and three sons.

The San Jacinto County Constable's Office could not immediately be reached for comment.

Precinct 2 Constable Jerry Everitt told the Houston Chronicle on Thursday night, "Denny Galloway died a hero today. He didn't hesitate to think about his safety at all."

Galloway was remembered Friday by wreaths of white carnations and roses hung on doors across the county. He was known for his dedication to law enforcement, especially the fight against methamphetamine labs.

"He wanted to make a difference," Everitt told the Chronicle. "He's what I would call a hero in everybody's book."

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.......      
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]

My God, this defines, "tragedy".  Prayers for the victims and heroes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
How awful.  I bet the uncle feels horrible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
What distinguishes the American fighting man is that ten men would gladly lay their lives on the line to save one of their brethren.

Don't remember where I heard it, but this reminds me of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top