Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 1:02:05 PM EDT
I'm over here in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates with the U.S. Navy until sometime next year.  I'd like to study for and get my amateur radio license while I'm still here in the U.A.E. so that I'll be ready to get on the air when I get back to the states.

Is it possible to take a licensing exam while outside of the states?  Would the FCC maybe make an exception and let someone at the U.S. Embassy in Dubai give me an exam?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Tests are actually administered by Volunteer Examiners (VEs).  The tough part would be finding one of them over there, but I'd bet they're around.  Try asking the ARRL, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I just rejoined the ARRL lastnight, so hopefully once I'm able to log into their website discussion boards I can find out the info that I'm looking for if I don't find it here first.  I was going to order the books that I need to study for the exam if I find out I'll be able to take the exam over here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just rejoined the ARRL lastnight, so hopefully once I'm able to log into their website discussion boards I can find out the info that I'm looking for if I don't find it here first.  I was going to order the books that I need to study for the exam if I find out I'll be able to take the exam over here.

If you need/want "Now You're Talking" (the tech license study guide), let me know.
I'd be glad to send you my copy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
See if you can find your MARS guys (Military Affiliate Radio System).  Most of them are probably hams and could help you out.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
See if you can find your MARS guys (Military Affiliate Radio System).  Most of them are probably hams and could help you out.

Jim

No MARS guys here in Fujairah, my unit is the only one here actually. I was hoping someone would reply with some info. about going thru the US Embassy in Dubai for the exam.  I have my fingers crossed anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top