Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/19/2005 12:37:39 PM EDT
It does not make a lot of sense to me.
i can see a need for UDT.  clearing mines and doing things like that.
i can see a need for a SEAL like unit but what advantage if there in making it a naval unit?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i can see a need for a SEAL like unit but what advantage if there in making it a naval unit?

2/3 of the world is covered in water.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
probably deployment/vehicle options
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
SEALS are from the Army National Guard.  Whats this Navy crap?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
They're bad ass cause they can bump fire underwater
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
All-round capabilities.   How many other special forces can deploy from underwater?  

And what is there that another SF unit can do that they can't?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Cause Charlie don't Surf
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

LoL. That was funny

Anyway,  JFK wanted a new badass SpecFor unit and he was loyal.  Having served in the navy and wanting something better than what the army already had.  Get the book "First Seal" by Roy Boehm.  Who incidentally, was the first ever navy seal.  He did a good portion of the recruiting and was the first commander of Seal team 2.  Seal team one was created at the same time on the Left coast at Coronado, while Seal 2 was based at Little Creek, VA.  Roy had a very heavy hand in creating both teams.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
really, I think it comes from the I Won't quit attitude.

The rest is training.  Think of them as olympic athletes for combat arms.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LoL. That was funny

Anyway,  JFK wanted a new badass SpecFor unit and he was loyal.  Having served in the navy and wanting something better than what the army already had.  Get the book "First Seal" by Roy Boehm.  Who incidentally, was the first ever navy seal.  He did a good portion of the recruiting and was the first commander of Seal team 2.  Seal team one was created at the same time on the Left coast at Coronado, while Seal 2 was based at Little Creek, VA.  Roy had a very heavy hand in creating both teams.  

JFK wanted it that way and he was navy.   that makes sense.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out The Warrior Elite and The Finishing School by Dick Couch to see why the SEALS are so badass.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
It's the bootcamp, a real kicker.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Special Forces Combat Divers have all of the skills and twice the discretion of the SEAL's.  I know a few guys who think the SEAL's budget would be better spent by the Army.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]
never been in the military but this is what i think.

to be a SEAL means to be tough. mentally and physically (not exactly bad ass). toughness means being able and willing to operate out in the environment when the enemy wants to come inside and get warm. extreme cold, heat, wet, discomfort, parachute in at night, into water, swim long distances, move over land for long distances, self reliant, mentally and physically tough. Like I said, not what I call bad ass so much as tough.

so its the extra toughness, the ability to thrive in very adverse conditions, the training and the discipline involved and the ability to go a bit futher than other mil types than make a difference.. and earns them their 'bad ass' rep.

not so much about badness as toughness.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I would want a team like the navy seals doing what they do on my side I can tell you this! the stuff they go through in training and in combat you have to be badass! take a seal squad deep into enemy
area and be able to remove the bad guys!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what kind of combat soldiers they are but they can party hard and have a good time and have a horde of the hottest women from around the world following them like groupies.  Re: Frog Hogs

So they got my vote.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Special Forces Combat Divers have all of the skills and twice the discretion of the SEAL's.  I know a few guys who think the SEAL's budget would be better spent by the Army.

Lemme guess, your army?  IF special forces combat divers are just as skilled as seals, it's due to the cross training they do with them.  As far as having twice the discretion?  Where's your proof opinion boy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
They're not

/son of US Army Special Forces Medic
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Navy Seals Originally speicalized in ship to ship movement/takeovers
You have special forces for ground stuff - seals for water stuff . . . .

My father was in the navy (was on a tanker) - He worked on sea sparow missles and the "sea-wiz" gatlin gun

- One night on his watch - A seal team did a "mock" ship takeover - He was the first to see a face mask appear from the water - they did the standard "get your m-16's drill" - Ultimately they ended up releasing fire hoses on them as they tried to scale the side of the ship - he said they were some of the strongest (and shortest) guys hes ever seen -

My step father was commended for being on a close watch (the captain knew it was going to happen)

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Because the gun show circuit is hell.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I've personally known 3 verified  SEAL's in my day and only one of them would I consider to be a 'bad ass'.  This guy was big, beefy and mean.   The other 2 were little, squirrelly, mealy-mouth guys.  One had a son in my kid's Cub Scout pack and I flat out didn't believe that he had been a SEAL (but didn't confront him - thank God).  I went online to verify that he was, in fact, an authentic SEAL.  I can't remember the website but they checked his name against the class roster and verified that he completed BUD/S in Oct 1975.  At the same time, I also checked on the other 2 guys and verified their status.

I think it's all mental and not how much weight you carry around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lemme guess, your army?  IF special forces combat divers are just as skilled as seals, it's due to the cross training they do with them.  As far as having twice the discretion?  Where's your proof opinion boy?

No, I have been hanging out with a 30 year veteran of Army SF.  He went to dive school.  They can do all the SCUBA, Sub insertions etc.

SEALS have not been making friends in OIF.  Something about killing too many innocent people.  And of course there are the stories about them going on patrol in SE Europe while wearing boxers and sandals.  Anyway, I'm not about to argue the point, since all I have is hearsay.

My personal experiences (limited, I assure you) with SEALs have been less positive than my experiences with SF.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've personally known 3 verified SEAL's in my day and only one of them would I consider to be a 'bad ass'.  This guy was big, beefy and mean.   The other 2 were little, squirrelly, mealy-mouth guys.  One had a son in my kid's Cub Scout pack and I flat out didn't believe that he had been a SEAL (but didn't confront him - thank God).  I went online to verify that he was, in fact, an authentic SEAL.  I can't remember the website but they checked his name against the class roster and verified that he completed BUD/S in Oct 1975.  At the same time, I also checked on the other 2 guys and verified their status.

I think it's all mental and not how much weight you carry around.

The majority of seals are average sized guys.  It's not about strength.  It's about willpower.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
They're trained by ninjas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#24]
They're not bad ass, just bad mooded because they couldn't make it into the USMC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All-round capabilities.   How many other special forces can deploy from underwater?  

Train and lead indigenous forces. Different mission parameters, different outlook, different training. Not better, just different.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Because the gun show circuit is hell.

Hey, with all the ADs around gun shows, they can be hell. The prices can be hell too...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The SEALs are not Special Forces any more than USMC Force Recon are USAF P.J.'s. The Army is the only branch that possesses a unit named Special Forces. When you to put these types of units under one heading, the proper term is Special Operations Forces (SOF).

They can all pretty much do each other's jobs to an extent, but each unit has its bread and butter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Theres nothing special about them. i know force recon can do the exact things they do. Everyone thinks there the best cause there the ones they hear about the most.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Well you've successfully demonstrated your ignorance...

SEAL is an acronym for "SEa, Air and Land."

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you've successfully demonstrated your ignorance...

SEAL is an acronym for "SEa, Air and Land."

Horsehocky! It stands for "Superior Enemy A-Liminator". And boy do those guys a-liminate their enemies!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Ask a Navy SEAL
By Lt. Ryan Cusper
September 19, 2005

Dear Navy Seal,
Why are the SEALS so bad ass?  It does not make a lot of sense to me.
i can see a need for UDT. clearing mines and doing things like that.

-High and Dry in Texas

Dear High and Dry,

The Draeger LAR-V is a rugged,  closed circuit  rebreather allowing extended dive times for American taxpayer funded Naval warriors.  Its "bubble-less" feature gives Mohammad no indication that a deadly, highly trained, trigger-happy, sharp-as-his-dive-knife Commando is about to send him to meet his maker.  Equipment like these help our combat divers efficiently rid the world of pests and other anti-American, pork-hating troublemakers.

.......................................................................................................................................................

Lt. Ryan Cusper is a combat-decorated Navy SEAL and nationally syndicated advice columnist. His weekly column, Ask A Navy SEAL, appears in 250 newspapers nationwide.

- with apologies to the Onion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2/3 of the world is covered in water.

And 100% of it is covered in air.

Airborne!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#35]
All that non sense about them not getting a lot of sleep during buds............... Pfffffffffffffffffffffft....... try having a young'un that's teething or sick, you'll be up at all hours of the night with a screaming child......... No sleep for you! Got one going through that now, so I'm in buds training........

Plus I got's my edelwiess......... ~!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Lemme guess, your army? IF special forces combat divers are just as skilled as seals, it's due to the cross training they do with them.

SEALs also insert from the Air. I wonder where they receive their jump training? A certain Army post in Georgia, perhaps?

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#37]
ive yet to hear anything explaining what sets the above the rest....why because nothing does....they just get a bunch of hype for no reason.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
They're bad ass cause they can bump fire underwater

Cool
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
They're not

IM inbound.

Thank you.

Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'm not about to say a single bad thing about the SF boyz for whom I hold the highest possible respect...but you are VERY mistaken.  Clearly you have NO clue about what it takes to become a fully functioning member of a Team.  An old shipmate of mine has a LCDR son (O-4 for you Army pukes) now serving in Indian country.  I can ASSURE you that IF there are smarter, badder, more dedicated and skillful snake eaters in the world, I would be very surprised.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They're not

IM inbound.

Thank you.

Regards,

Justin

replied
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Can you expound on that for me? I think I know what you mean and if I'm understanding you I can see what you mean but I"m not sure what you mean by "twice the discretion"......

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Cause Charlie don't Surf

+10,000
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Ask a Navy SEAL
By Lt. Ryan Cusper
September 19, 2005
www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/26708onion_advice58_article.jpg

Dear Navy Seal,
Why are the SEALS so bad ass?  It does not make a lot of sense to me.
i can see a need for UDT. clearing mines and doing things like that.

-High and Dry in Texas

Dear High and Dry,

The Draeger LAR-V is a rugged,  closed circuit  rebreather allowing extended dive times for American taxpayer funded Naval warriors.  Its "bubble-less" feature gives Mohammad no indication that a deadly, highly trained, trigger-happy, sharp-as-his-dive-knife Commando is about to send him to meet his maker.  Equipment like these help our combat divers efficiently rid the world of pests and other anti-American, pork-hating troublemakers.

.......................................................................................................................................................

Lt. Ryan Cusper is a combat-decorated Navy SEAL and nationally syndicated advice columnist. His weekly column, Ask A Navy SEAL, appears in 250 newspapers nationwide.

- with apologies to the Onion.

You're getting pretty good at this.....however the thread of continuity between question and response could be thinned by half...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quote from a SEAL on Discovery channel :

'It's not that we're so badass, it's that everybody else sucks'

that guy cracked me up.

I do agree that they are some of the finest soldiers anywhere.

My father (was in SF and trained with the SAS) said the SAS were the most badass bunch of guys he'd ever worked with.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as having twice the discretion?  Where's your proof opinion boy?

Every week I see another special on the discovery channel on how great the SEALs are.
Roberts Ridge.
SEALs left their guy.  Rangers humped up that mountain to go get him.
There is a lot more.
SEALs do not enjoy the greatest reputation in specops.

You watch the "Discovery Channel" and you are now a keyboard expert on Seals.That was a fucking stupid  thing to post. Way too many damn idiots on this board. This thread is full of third grade kids or just plain fucking idiots who have no fucking clue what they are talking about. H-O-L-Y   S-H-I-T
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Every week I see another special on the discovery channel on how great the SEALs are.
Roberts Ridge.
There is a lot more.

You watch the "Discovery Channel" and you are now a keyboard expert on Seals.That was a fucking stupid  thing to post. Way too many damn idiots on this board. This thread is full of third grade kids or just plain fucking idiots who have no fucking clue what they are talking about. H-O-L-Y   S-H-I-T

That was an ill advised comment there buddy.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#48]
As a Combat Engineer during Desert Storm '91 I had a few occasions to interface with SEAL's.  I found them to be courteous, professional, and all business.  They knew we were preparing to blow shit up and asked all the right questions.  I was impressed.  

I don't own a TV so I'll have to go on my first hand experience only.  Not as good as the discovery channel, but hey, what can you do?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Roberts Ridge.
There is a lot more.

Its good to see you brought your credentials with you. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to see that you were a registered jackass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted: i can see a need for a SEAL like unit but what advantage if there in making it a naval unit?
'Cause chicks love seamen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top