Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The article said about 3% of the population really calls themself athiests.

So yes they will be largely ignored for that reason alone.

Not that they should be ignored.

Govt represents everybody.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-18-atheists_x.htm

It's their God given right to lobby.

TRG

Atheists in a snit seem to do better in courts than they do in representative bodies.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Her bio:

A lawyer and teacher, Brown is used to controversy. As a Nevada state senator from 1992 to 1994, she fought for gun control, gay rights and abortion rights. She says she received threats and hate messages and calls (I wonder if the police can back that up?)

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
from the reading, its not just for atheists

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-18-atheists_x.htm

It's their God given right to lobby.

TRG

Atheists in a snit seem to do better in courts than they do in representative bodies.

Well they tend to have things like facts on their side when they bother to bring cases to court, so that helps...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Facts?

Hardly.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well they tend to have things like facts judicial activists on their side when they bother to bring cases to court, so that helps...

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm so sick of atheists trying to shove their religion down my throat.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Its good that atheists now have lobbyists to counter the thousands of religious lobbyists...

But how do you organize a group that doesn't like organized religion? Hmmm... takes a lot of manuevering to keep a group like that running... it's not there is a centralized place where you can get atheists to give money to their lobbyists, unlikes religous lobbyists who can just go to churches.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]
They will need lobbyist soon enough… but not in Washington.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Its good that atheists now have lobbyists to counter the thousands of religious lobbyists...

But how do you organize a group that doesn't like organized religion? Hmmm... takes a lot of manuevering to keep a group like that running... it's not there is a centralized place where you can get atheists to give money to their lobbyists, unlikes religous lobbyists who can just go to churches.

Many atheists belong to religious organizations.   I give at my UU Church and we support causes like.

I'm also a member of the Milary Assocation of Atheists and Freethinkers (MAAF) and they are part of the organization mentioned in the article.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Where do the Unitarians stand on gun rights?

Do they have an official position?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where do the Unitarians stand on gun rights?

Do they have an official position?

it pretty much depends on the congregation.  

UU Congregations down south tend to lean libertarian, the ones I've been to up north lean more to democratic.  

Historically there are 3 UUA General resolutions about gun control and they are all in favor of government regulation of firearms.   The last was in 1991 and supported the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1991.   I'm not sure you could get another anti-gun resolution through today.  Many in my church have CC permits and the failure of the AWB to change crime rates in contract with the effect on crime in CCW states has been instructive to a lot of UU's.  

The feeling I get in my congregation is most support what they consider reasonable restrictions (waiting period, no guns for ex cons, etc..)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top