Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 5:15:04 AM EDT
Current video card:  Geforce Ti 4200 on AGP slot of Jetway/Nvidia motherboard
Additional card that I want to add:  (old) ATI Rage Pro w/TV tuner PCI onto random PCI port
O/S:  XP Pro

The driver won't install from the original ATI card (big surprise) probably because the software is meant for Win98/NT and XP Pro is not necessarily 'backwards compatible'.

The driver for this card & XP from ATI's website is not giving any luck when attempting to use the ATI-provided TV tuner program, or additional freeware program that I found via google.

Is this card simply too old to ever be compatible for me to be able to watch TV with it on my current setup?

Also, is it possible to get the XP Media Edition Media Player onto my XP Pro?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
goto ati for update
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
goto ati for update

arg, read! ^
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
sol, no oprah for you
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Current video card:  Geforce Ti 4200 on AGP slot of Jetway/Nvidia motherboard
Additional card that I want to add:  (old) ATI Rage Pro w/TV tuner PCI onto random PCI port
O/S:  XP Pro

The driver won't install from the original ATI card (big surprise) probably because the software is meant for Win98/NT and XP Pro is not necessarily 'backwards compatible'.

The driver for this card & XP from ATI's website is not giving any luck when attempting to use the ATI-provided TV tuner program, or additional freeware program that I found via google.

Is this card simply too old to ever be compatible for me to be able to watch TV with it on my current setup?

Also, is it possible to get the XP Media Edition Media Player onto my XP Pro?

The way Win98/Me handled hardware calls is completely and totally different than the way that 2K/XP handles hardware calls. Thus there is some hardware out there that is not XP compatible. The best suggestion I have is to delete all drivers for the device on the system and let Windows try to find a driver it likes for the card on the CD or by hooking up to the Windows site.

If it is an older card, usually XP can find a way to make it work properly on its own. If that doesn't work and the ATI drivers from the website aren't doing any better, then I suggest scrapping the card and buying a new one. If you had it on a 98 system, then it is pretty old from a hardware standpoint and ought to be upgraded.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The best suggestion I have is to delete all drivers for the device on the system  

What is the best way to do this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The best suggestion I have is to delete all drivers for the device on the system  

Check this out:

www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_zehg.asp

You will find plenty of information in there about taming drivers and making them behave.

You can uninstall a driver by going into the device manager and going to the properties of the malfunctioning device. Then under the driver tab, you will see a button that says Uninstall. That will un-install the driver for you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure, but whatever it is, 'carefully' applies.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#8]
tv card's are not that expensive.  If the driver is not working i would just replace it. Its not worth the hassle

and i highly doubt you will be able to get the media player player on your system
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check this out:

www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_zehg.asp

You will find plenty of information in there about taming drivers and making them behave.

You can uninstall a driver by going into the device manager and going to the properties of the malfunctioning device. Then under the driver tab, you will see a button that says Uninstall. That will un-install the driver for you.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top