Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 10:20:51 PM EDT
Anyone read this rag?  Probably it's just a big marketing ploy for SureFire, but I was flipping through this magazine and found some interesting stuff, such as the following:

1) An oversized surefire latch on the charging handle of an AR will help prevent gas from entering the eyes of a shooter using a suppressor.

2) Return of Gun-As-Spear: Bayonets on handguns?!  This was once a joke between me and some of my buddies, but seriously?

3) Pic Caption: "The author's real-world sniper rifles prove his point that you can tell a neophyte from a pro by his gear...." next to a picture of a sniper rifle with a large surefire several-hundred-lumen lamp paracorded to it.  What happened to the sniper's element of concealment?  Seems like it would disappear with a giant shoot-me light on it.

Comments?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
surely someone has read this magazine?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I read it several monthes ago on the flight over here to the U.A.E. on a C-5 cargo plane.  It's a big advertisement for Surefire.

Wasn't that article also mentioning the use of duct tape for attaching items to your rifle?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, 90mph tape iirc
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, you can tell when a person is a real operator if they have all their gadgets lashed and taped to their weapon. I hoped he was being facetious, although I got the feeling he was serious.

It's DEFINITELY an 80 page Surefire advertisement, nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out page 46-47 of the Feb edition. A seven page article on the Barrett M468 with a big fat 2 page picture of a LMT MRP. A little editing goes a long way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
3) Pic Caption: "The author's real-world sniper rifles prove his point that you can tell a neophyte from a pro by his gear...." next to a picture of a sniper rifle with a large surefire several-hundred-lumen lamp paracorded to it.  

At ranges beyond 300 yards, only a Surefire will do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
saw it..... their "tactical shotgun instructor" advocates turning the shotgun sideways and resting the stock on top of your shoulder, to "shorten the length."
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
saw it..... their "tactical shotgun instructor" advocates turning the shotgun sideways and resting the stock on top of your shoulder, to "shorten the length."

That's the information I needed. G&A is not shilling for gun and equipment manufacturers, it's a front for the American Board of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3) Pic Caption: "The author's real-world sniper rifles prove his point that you can tell a neophyte from a pro by his gear...." next to a picture of a sniper rifle with a large surefire several-hundred-lumen lamp paracorded to it.  

I hope you're being facetious, man.  Sorry if my sarcasm radar is malfunctioning.

Only a Surefire will do....do what?  Tell the bad guy 300+ yards away "Hey, BG, I'm over here!  Please shoot me!" that's what.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps you guys should spend some time training with Scott Reitz and Rob Haught before laughing off what you see in an article. I think Pat Roger's assesment of the internet is spot on in this case.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you're being facetious, man.  Sorry if my sarcasm radar is malfunctioning.

Only a Surefire will do....do what?  Tell the bad guy 300+ yards away "Hey, BG, I'm over here!  Please shoot me!" that's what.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems like Mr. Reitz ought to publish an assessment about how foolish G&A makes him look, lumping him and his paracorded, 90mph taped Bad-Guy-Beacon-7000 within the same covers as pistol bayonets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw in at the news stand.  100 pagesof blah, blah, blah.

Maybe something useful in there but not worth sorting through all the desk recon ranger stuff to sort out for however much it cost.  Mostly an advertising magazine for surefire.

Rick
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Perhaps you guys should spend some time training with Scott Reitz and Rob Haught before laughing off what you see in an article. I think Pat Roger's assesment of the internet is spot on in this case.

1000 rounds of Q3131A      $225

Rifle with alot of toys      $1000

Training class with former operators $650

Pics of overweight, middle aged men running around in tactical gear

Priceless
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the pictures.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I read it too.  Basically a big Surefire advertisement.  At least I got the mag for free.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Seems like Mr. Reitz ought to publish an assessment about how foolish G&A makes him look, lumping him and his paracorded, 90mph taped Bad-Guy-Beacon-7000 within the same covers as pistol bayonets.

The pistol bayonet was a joke...  Jeez guys chill out.  They are making fun of themselves a little.  I think over all its pretty darn good advertising.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Of course it's a Sure Fire advertisement! Cripes, it only says "SUREFIRE PRESENTS" on the cover!

As for the rest, for starters... How do you think all these beautiful LaRue, ARMS, etc., mounts got their start? Guys duct taping/paracording stuff to their guns for added functionality. So if you see someone taping something to the gun... Maybe it's another "thought starter" that could wind up being a product some day. I, for one, am not going to cast aspersions on guys at the sharp end of the spear who paracord/duct tape stuff to their guns until something better comes along.

I buy the mag for the photography and to see what's new. I liked a lot of the articles in this issue (last issue wasn't "all that") and overall the mag is very well produced. It's neat seeing what's new and how people are using the gear.

It isn't just Sure-Fire either. This issue has a decent article on good Tactical Nylon (with the expected rip on BlackHawk since they came out with their own line of lights ).

Overall... I like the mag. It's a little pricey but I like it. Gives my dad and I more to talk about.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Overall... I like the mag. It's a little pricey but I like it. Gives my dad and I more to talk about.  

You pay for it???  Every gun store around here gives them away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ACK
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, same here -- got mine free at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ever do an entry with a 10 man team where you are trying to negotiate through tight hallways and corners with a Cover Six on while using a full length stock shotgun???

I'm sure this is the concept the writer was referring to when advocating that technique.  Works very well with a pistol grip stock.  We do it with our Benelli's as well as with our AR's.

It's known that the mag is an advertisement for Surefire products, but every now and then, they do mention some useful tactics.

Edited for speeling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the pictures are cool and I take the articles as what they are, pure propaganda.

I did think the caption on the sniper rifle picture was pretty stupid. It seemed to inmply that the professional thing to do is to tape shit to your rifle rather than invest in mounts for it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top