Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 9:35:14 PM EDT
I friend of the family dropped off a dog at my house, he's about a year old and like to eat paper. Anyway she says he's a golden retriever, his hair is way too short. I think he's a golden lab, and when I read up on both of them, and see the pics he looks like a lab. Anyone have anymore help at determining what he is, and how to stop him humping my pillows.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No pictures, can't help with determining breed.

As for stopping balling the pillows, I can only suggest getting uglier pillows.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No pictures, can't help with determining breed.

As for stopping balling the pillows, I can only suggest getting uglier pillows.

+1
and pix dude...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
what should I look for other than coat length
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
ok I don't have a camera, so I'm going to have to borrow one tomorrow and take some pics, so this will have to wait till tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
look for a pic on the net of both and then post the one that looks like it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone have anymore help at determining what he is, and how to stop him humping my pillows.

Definitely a lab.

Congrats on your new entertainment center.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
he has the short hair of a lab, but the tail has a little bit longer hair
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
he has the short hair of a lab, but the tail has a little bit longer hair

Lab hair can vary greatly in length. My dog has a long tail.

Is his body tall, and racey like a golden? If so it sounds like you have a field lab. There are two distinct kinds of Labs....field (or English) and American. The American is fatter, shorter hair. The English field labs are racier, blockier heads, bushy tails.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it your dog now?

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if I'll keep him, I caught him eating a glass, a "glass" glass, I stopped him but it was broken. He also ate a pillow and a oven mitt last night and I woke up with him sitting on me, three diff times. He's not a small puppy, he's pretty big but he's got a puppy's mind. I took him out this AM and while returning from potty break my neighbor came out to pet him, and my dog took him out, he's got so much love. I've had dogs chase their tail, never one that chased it's leg. Last night before bed he started spinning in a circle trying to catch his leg, which he did but then he started chaseing his scrotum, for about 10 min he vilolently chased himself around and around, he succeeded and he chomped down, I herd the bite and he yelped a little, then when back to chaseng himself So it's been an interesting first night and I have school today so I'll report back on what he eats next, did I mention he ate some of my wall
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like anxiety.  Do you leave him alone all day?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't know if I'll keep him, I caught him eating a glass, a "glass" glass, I stopped him but it was broken. He also ate a pillow and a oven mitt last night and I woke up with him sitting on me, three diff times. He's not a small puppy, he's pretty big but he's got a puppy's mind. I took him out this AM and while returning from potty break my neighbor came out to pet him, and my dog took him out, he's got so much love. I've had dogs chase their tail, never one that chased it's leg. Last night before bed he started spinning in a circle trying to catch his leg, which he did but then he started chaseing his scrotum, for about 10 min he vilolently chased himself around and around, he succeeded and he chomped down, I herd the bite and he yelped a little, then when back to chaseng himself So it's been an interesting first night and I have school today so I'll report back on what he eats next, did I mention he ate some of my wall

Sorry, but this is hillarious

I love Goldens, my parents have one, but one thing about them is that they aren't too bright (as I'm sure you've figured out). However, what they lack for brains they make up for with heart. Sounds like yours is a little off to one end of the spectrum though... LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
A) Get him some rawhide chews.

B) If he's fixed, he won't hump shit.

C) Labs usually have a bit stouter/thicker snout than a Retriever.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
ok I got him some crack aka raw hide and I found a pic that looks exactly like him, well mine is younger but damn so close it's uncanny

so I find out that golden labrador retriever, is a cross breed of a golden retriever and a labrador. So I have a Golden lab.

any other tips to get him to stop getting busy with my pillows?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#15]
That there is Yellow Lab, and good luck.!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup, that's a labbie.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks, he's really calmed down today; he hasn't eaten anything he's not supposed to yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He needs something to destroy and chew on.

Get some of those big (they are about a foot long) hickory flavored bones and let him have at it. Will save your walls, glasses and other shit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Pic would help in identifying. Eating paper, Golden Retrievers are famous for that. Well not actually eating the paper, but just tearing it up and spitting it out. I have a GR, if I'm eating a steak dinner and the napkin is next to the plate, he will disregard the steak and grab the napkin and run off holding his head high, like he was king...................ODD
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

He has issues.  But, don't give up just yet. Sounds like he was not trained very well. Also sounds like he was not exercised enough by the previous owner. Golden Retrievers don't grow out of their puppy stages for a long time, mine is almost two years old and still acts like a pup in a lot of ways. He is probably being destructive and chasing himself because he has not been exercised enough and has built up energy and is bored. You basically have to keep them active enough to keep them tired, so they will not be destructive or AS destructive.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#21]
he looks just like the pic I posted; my friend came by last night and took pics with his digi cam, he works nights so I should have it by 5pm, then I'll post pics, but he's a clone of the other dog I posted a pic of. He did eat the new bread loaf this afternoon, and he does that with the paper too; I put the trash can, which has a lid in the pantry, he'll ninja behind me and quick as lighting he'll have a napkin. He's leaning no tho,
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#22]
The pic you posted is definitely a Labrador Retriever, not a Golden retriever. When you post the pics, we'll probably be able to tell if it's a mix or not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#23]
My poRch monkey(LAB) does the same thing with napkins. He takes them whenever he gets tempertantrum(doesnt get food) and tears them up or eats them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The pic you posted is definitely a Labrador Retriever, not a Golden retriever. When you post the pics, we'll probably be able to tell if it's a mix or not.

the pic I posted is a a hybrid called a golden labrador, not a yellow lab and not a retriever but a hybrid cross called a golden labradr retrieverLINK

the pic I posted is a clone, but I did call my friend; he had a root canal done today so it might be later, but I will get them up as soon as I recieve them
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the pic I posted is a a hybrid called a golden labrador, not a yellow lab and not a retriever but a hybrid cross called a golden labradr retrieverLINK

the pic I posted is a clone, but I did call my friend; he had a root canal done today so it might be later, but I will get them up as soon as I recieve them

I take your word for it. But I don't see a resemblance to a Golden Retriever in the dog pictured above. In any case they are both great dogs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

[lol2]  Damn that's funny.  Whenever I start chasing my balls, Mrs gorilla beats the hell outta me. Maybe better off if  was a dog.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I take your word for it. But I don't see a resemblance to a Golden Retriever in the dog pictured above. In any case they are both great dogs.

it's tha tail and how the belly goes up vs how a yellow lab looks, the pic that I posted was labeled golden labrador retriever, and I really didn't go to that site and read about it, I read it from herelink but wouldn't you know the pic is from the UK and well its a lab, not a mix. So tonight I'll post pics, but look at the pics at the bottom of the page from the link. I know my friend is all doped up from his root canal today so I can't count on him, I'll find another camera today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's tha tail and how the belly goes up vs how a yellow lab looks, the pic that I posted was labeled golden labrador retriever, and I really didn't go to that site and read about it, I read it from herelink but wouldn't you know the pic is from the UK and well its a lab, not a mix. So tonight I'll post pics, but look at the pics at the bottom of the page from the link. I know my friend is all doped up from his root canal today so I can't count on him, I'll find another camera today.

Ohhh.  Cool, I'd like to see the pics.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't see any golden in that pic.  If yours looks like the pic then it is 100% yellow lab. (Not such thing as a golden lab)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't see any golden in that pic.  If yours looks like the pic then it is 100% yellow lab. (Not such thing as a golden lab)

link to page about golden lab
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

link to page about golden lab

Ahh kind of like a liger (lion/tiger cross)  I know a lot of people who see a yellow lab and call it a golden lab, bugs the heck out of me, but I guess you could call a golden crossed with a lab a golden lab.

I saw this one dog that was crossed between a golden and a dalmation, the dog had the long hair of a golden but it was solid black.

ETA goldens and labs are great dogs, I have one of each- love them to death.  Enjoy him, he will be the best friend you ever have.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#32]
hopefuly I can get the pics on soon, but never the less. he's a lab good thing he can swim, I think my house will be under water sat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top