Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 9:02:04 PM EDT
I thought the politicos who signed the Hauge Accord demanded a round that would wound more easily than kill and so that affected military ammo development since then until World War 1?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, the idea behind firearms was to wound people. Then someone died and they decided that was even better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I thought the politicos who signed the Hauge Accord demanded a round that would wound more easily than kill and so that affected military ammo development since then until World War 1?

WRONG

The thought of the Hague was not specifically to mandate FMJ

It was DEFINATELY not to mandate wounding-not-killing ammo.

It was to prohibit, as a class, weapons 'designed or modified to cause unneccicary suffering'.

At the time, the standard military ammo was FMJ, as this was the most recent development in ammo technology, a distinct improvement over pure-lead bullets. However, some nations (notably Britain, and their arsenal at Dum-Dum in India) were experimenting with 'modifications' to the standard bullet tip (such as cutting a cross in it, etc) that would increase wounding potential.

At the time, this was thought to be distinctly separate from 'killing potential', and the idea was to ban weapons designed or modified to cause unneccicary suffering (eg increasing wounding w/o killing effects)...

There are alot of myths about the Hague convention, the specific origins of the ammo rules is one of them, but the most popular MYTH is that said convention limits the use of .50cal & heavier weapons to materiel, when there is no such convention signed or observed by the United States (source would be CATD, Ft Benning.).
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought FMJ was more about feeding reliability and to lessen the barrel fouling, than wounding characteristics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

I thought it was the opposite.

So they were worried about newer ammo that would increase wounding potential (or so the politicians thought0?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

I thought it was the opposite.

So they were worried about newer ammo that would increase wounding potential (or so the politicians thought0?

CRC

suffering potential.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top