Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 7:54:50 PM EDT
End of gun ban has little effect in state No increase reported in crimes using previously banned arms
BY J.L. MILLER / The News Journal
09/18/2005The predictions were dire. The expiration of the 10-year-old federal assault-weapons ban would flood the streets with AK-47s and other weapons of war.

With the one-year anniversary of the expiration of the ban passing quietly last week, the reality has proved much less grim. The assault-weapons ban went out with a whimper, not a bang.

Although precise figures are not available, police in Delaware have not reported an increase in crimes committed with previously banned weapons.

And area gun dealers say they have not seen an increase in demand, possibly because so many guns that had been legally manufactured before the law remained on the market through the decade-long ban.

But proponents and opponents of the legislation, which Congress declined to renew last year, remain divided on whether it accomplished anything -- and whether it should be reinstated.

"A year later, I still certainly feel we need the ban," said Sarah Brady, the Dewey Beach resident who founded the national gun-control group now known as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

"Thank goodness we haven't seen any huge increase [in shootings]. That doesn't mean there isn't one around the corner," said Brady, whose husband, former White House press secretary Jim Brady, was seriously wounded after a 1981 assassination attempt on President Reagan.

Another key player in the gun-control debate also lives in Delaware: John Sigler, a retired Dover police captain who is first vice president of the National Rifle Association and the likely successor to its president, Sandra S. Froman.

"I'm not surprised there hasn't been much effect," Sigler said.

The assault-weapons ban's 10-year sunset provision, he said, "was a test, an experiment if you will, and during the course of that 10-year experiment, [then-President] Clinton's own Justice Department came to the conclusion that the ban would have no effect on the criminal use of firearms."

Delaware authorities do not keep track of the type of firearms used or recovered in crimes.

But, state police troopers have been involved in incidents that led to the arrest of people using weapons that were classed as assault rifles.

"Over the last year we've had four incidents where we recovered assault rifles," state police spokesman Lt. Joseph Aviola said. "That's down two from [the previous] year."

Detractors of the ban say it was merely cosmetic. The law banned combinations of such military features as flash suppressors and bayonet lugs, but the weapons themselves remained essentially unchanged.

The ban also played on a popular misconception "that somehow a semiautomatic firearm was synonymous with a fully automatic firearm," the NRA's Sigler said.

Fully automatic firearms, which fire a steady stream of bullets for as long as the trigger is held, are severely restricted under federal law and are illegal in Delaware.

Semiautomatics, the guns that were covered under the assault-weapons ban, fire one shot each time the trigger is pressed.

The ban also outlawed newly manufactured ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds -- and gun-control advocate Brady finds that perhaps the most disturbing aspect of the ban's demise.

"To me, I don't care cosmetically what [firearms] look like. It's what they're capable of doing," Brady said. "That's the problem, the problem being that you don't want the ability to fire many, many rounds very, very quickly."

Brady also fears that the expected congressional approval of legislation to shield firearm manufacturers and dealers from many lawsuits will prompt gun makers to unleash a new wave of increasingly deadly products.

"Now they're going to be immune, so that means Nellie bar the door," Brady said.

Sigler, though, called that prediction "more scare tactics."

Brady remains hopeful that the political pendulum, which has swung sharply in favor of gun-owners' rights in recent years, will swing again.

"I guess I'm an old enough broad, I've seen it swing so many times," Brady said. "The younger folks that work in my office, they get so downhearted, it breaks their heart when they see the way things are going. I tell them it will get better."

Meanwhile, John Massey, owner of Shooter's Supply in New Castle, is doing a brisk business -- in hunting equipment, not quasi-military rifles.

"We do a little bit of [business in assault-type guns], but it's not our main deal here," said Massey, who will order such a weapon if a customer asks.

"We prefer to carry the higher-quality guns," he said
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
DD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
They won't be giving up anytime soon.........here is a sample of their latest efforts

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MI_DEADLY_FORCE_MIOL-?SITE=MIPON&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Without the threat of prosecution, some of the thousands of Michigan residents carrying concealed weapons may be more likely to use them, said Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Campaign. The group is named for her and her husband, Jim, who as President Reagan's press secretary was shot and severely injured during a 1981 assassination attempt on Reagan.

"There are a lot more guns on the street and then you're going to get the right to use them willy-nilly? That doesn't bode real well," Brady said during a telephone interview.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
"The younger folks that work in my office, they get so downhearted, it breaks their heart when they see the way things are going. I tell them it will get better."

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"Thank goodness we haven't seen any huge increase [in shootings]. That doesn't mean there isn't one around the corner,"

Man, those criminals are lazy, waiting a few years before starting their shooting sprees.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The really sad thing is, she's going to be extatic if there is ever a big shooting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: Brady also fears that the expected congressional approval of legislation to shield firearm manufacturers and dealers from many lawsuits will prompt gun makers to unleash a new wave of increasingly deadly products.
Mu ha ha ha ha ha! Mu ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like sarah brady.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Sarah "The Cunt" Brady said:

"I guess I'm an old enough broad, I've seen it swing so many times," Brady said. "The younger folks that work in my office, they get so downhearted, it breaks their heart when they see the way things are going. I tell them it will get better."

Get used to it, CommieFuckers. Get used to losing. You bunch of limp-dicked doo-gooder shitheels are going the way of the dodo, of slavery, and yes, of COMMUNISM.

Too bad. We win, Mao loses. Now go off, buy some hemp clothing with the trust fund Daddy has left you, drive back to your college town in the Volvo with the "Save the Whales" bumper stickers on them, and EAT SHIT!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
That .22 got he wrong Brady!  And I mean that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Meanwhile, John Massey, owner of Shooter's Supply in New Castle, is doing a brisk business -- in hunting equipment, not quasi-military rifles.

"We do a little bit of [business in assault-type guns], but it's not our main deal here," said Massey, who will order such a weapon if a customer asks.

Higher quality weapons? I thought my AR was pretty high quality. It hits where I aim.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I survived the AWB and all I got was this lousy t-shirt... and a collapsing stock, and a flash suppressor, and a bayonet lug, and a 30-rnd magazine, and-
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
+1000 rasanders22
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't her husband shot with an H&R revolver
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That .22 got he wrong Brady!  And I mean that.

Didn't reagan/brady get shot with a .22 revolver?

where does she get off with an AWB

sorry for the dupe answer, and yes that is 5 angry smileyfaces
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Higher quality weapons? I thought my AR was pretty high quality. It hits where I aim.

I noticed this too. Could be the Mark of the Elusive Fuddite.

Found in the gunshows all across America, the Fuddite pursues his bolt-action, wood-stocked 40-year-old Remington with a zeal known only to a few gun owners. He can be seen on the range in October, often firing 3 -5 rounds, then packing up and heading for home, confident "his rig" will bag him a deer or an elk, and that nothing will go wrong with the rifle on the shoot. Often, the Fuddite can be found staring diconsolately at other gun owners who have weapons he disapproves of, like self-loading arms. "Whatcher need all dem bullits fer, son? Cain't you gits him on da firs' shot?" he'll ask, a barely contained sneer apparent to all on his face.

The Fuddite is a steadfast defender of The Second Amendment, in which the government gives hunters the right to take game every October and November. He also drives $35K trucks into the woods, wears Blaze Orange and Camo "like they wuz goin' outta style," and can sometimes be found in a state of inebrieation, if a hunt is not yielding game.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

what an elitist Elmer Fudd asshole
ETA; I smell a fire mission
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]

use them willy-nilly?

means Nellie bar the door

I would love to meet her speech writer.  

FUS  (Fuck You Sarah),

Debo

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]

I wish that bitch would take a dirt nap. Auggggh!

Don't talk about my State like that Sarah, we aren't a bunch of morons like you would like to think. We are WAY smarter than you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Sarah Brady is still living off her emotions and has extended her 15 minutes long past it's time. Yes her husband got f**ked up in the shooting by a nut case. RR showed how To be a man and take a hit and move on. She went crying to the libtards because of her poor poor husband.(I think she was a Libtard before this happened) Notice the time it took to the get the AWB in place after the shooting.  She wanted a total ban on guns but the best she could get was the AWB. In Washington they hear the noise that the media makes because they think thats whats best for the sheeple.  In other words emotion is more important then fact, and she had the "emotion" to get the libtards result.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]

"To me, I don't care cosmetically what [firearms] look like. It's what they're capable of doing," Brady said. "That's the problem, the problem being that you don't want the ability to fire many, many rounds very, very quickly."

Its called "self-defense."  That's why I need to fire many rounds quickly - because I know that an AR-15 is not a magic death ray.  I may need to hit each assailant multiple times.  Its frustrating how many sheeple accept this argument because they think life is like TV.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"The younger folks that work in my office, they get so downhearted, it breaks their heart when they see the way things are going. I tell them it will get better."

Is it wrong to take such comfort in that statement.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong, but feels... so RIGHT.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It feels SO GOOD

GUN OWNERS---><----Sarah Brady's Bunch
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way things are going?  Didn't they say there was no increase in gun crime?  Were they looking for more deaths?  Would that make them happy?

Yeah, that's what would make a libtard happy, is to see more suffering and death. Then, they could swoop in with all the answers ("What do we do, President Hillary?" "Give up your guns! Everybody'll be safer!") and fix all the problems us doltish, foolish, 18th-century moron individualists and constitutionalists have created.

They could create the society that mirrors the prescient vision of their Working Class Hero, Karl Marx, who envisioned a utopia where people didn' t have to have rules and property, the desire for which generates greed, crime, and inequity amongst that hated western idea, the Classes.

Hey, if a few "innocent" knuckleheads gotta die to Bring The Grand Vision, then that's OK, too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sarah "The Cunt" Brady said:

Get used to it, CommieFuckers. Get used to losing. You bunch of limp-dicked doo-gooder shitheels are going the way of the dodo, of slavery, and yes, of COMMUNISM.

Too bad. We win, Mao loses. Now go off, buy some hemp clothing with the trust fund Daddy has left you, drive back to your college town in the Volvo with the "Save the Whales" bumper stickers on them, and EAT SHIT!

I cant add to the response on this one

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"The younger folks that work in my office, they get so downhearted, it breaks their heart when they see the way things are going."

The rates of violent crime and homicides involving firearms are declining all across the nation and have been for many years.

Yeah, that just breaks my heart too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]

The younger folks that work in my office, they get so downhearted, it breaks their heart when they see the way things are going. I tell them it will get better."

All I could picture in my mind when i read that is that scene in star trek where Data , who is experiencing emotions for the first time, Blows away a Klingon ship,then rises up lifts his arm up then pulls it down yelling......"YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!"
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Man I hope this dies down but chances are they will make another attempt on our 2d ammendment.

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's an awesome pic.

We haven't won until the Supreme Court rules in favor of an individualist interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, though. Until we "the people" aren't subject to assinine gun-control laws anymore, we haven't won diddly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Brady remains hopeful that the political pendulum, which has swung sharply in favor of gun-owners' rights in recent years, will swing again.

And that right there is the problem. Their patient. They took what they could get back then, their'll bide their time and hold what ground they can now, and then give'r Hell hard in the future to take back more ground.
This is a war we wont win unless we cheat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#34]
They have a lame game on their website, too! www.bradycenter.org/game/
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

And that right there is the problem. Their patient. They took what they could get back then, their'll bide their time and hold what ground they can now, and then give'r Hell hard in the future to take back more ground.
This is a war we wont win unless we cheat.

That's why I plan on running for President. I'll declare the sporting purposes law, the machine gun ban, and the restriction of guns past a certain bore size (dang it, I want a NEW 8-gauge shotgun, not a 150-year old one I can't shoot!) to be unConstitutional and do away with them.

Then I'll tell the U.N. to shape up or ship out, put the smack down on the libtards, and tell Feinswine and Brady to go fuck themselves.

I figure I'll either be the greatest President the U.S. ever had for the next three years of my term or I'll be the AntiChrist, depending on who you ask.

And you ARFCOMmers better vote for me! I'm the one who's going to get you NEW military surplus hardware if I win the election! Yes, finally a CMP M-14 and M-16A1. Mwa-haha!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
End of gun ban has little effect in state No increase reported in crimes using previously banned arms
BY J.L. MILLER / The News Journal
09/18/2005The predictions were dire. The expiration of the 10-year-old federal assault-weapons ban would flood the streets with AK-47s and other weapons of war.

"Thank goodness we haven't seen any huge increase [in shootings]. That doesn't mean there isn't one around the corner," said Brady, whose husband, former White House press secretary Jim Brady, was seriously wounded after a 1981 assassination attempt on President Reagan.

Yeah, and my schlong will grow yet another 6" someday too.

What a stupid cunt!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#37]

By Al-Sarib Braydui
"Thank goodness we haven't seen any huge increase [in shootings]. That doesn't mean there isn't one around the corner,"
*contrast with*

Says enough right there. Noone but her supporters are onboard her whackjob political line because assault weapons weren't the risk she lied about them being. People aren't doing what she predicted and all she can do now is hope they do to save some face.

...like watching a train wreck and cheering...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top