Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 7:21:21 PM EDT
Any responses greatly appreciated.

Got a Craftsman 10hp riding mower from a friend for free. ( know its only 10hp but pushing a 6hp walk behind is getting pretty old) It always worked well but it sat for almost the last2 years.

I charged the battery and cleaned all wire connections. It wont even try to start.

I am a  dummy with this. Anything I shoud be aware of in dealing with a mower that sat for a few years?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it try to start? Check the Battery, may need a new one.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you sit in the seat when you tried to start it? Some of them have a safety switch and can only be started while you are in the seat.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Charged battery, still no go.

Checked seat switch, cleaned connections and applied a little electric grease on the contacts but stil no start.

I am thinking the battery may be the problem as it drains down to 4 volts in a few minutes but when it was 12 it still dont even try. Maybe it has the voltage but the amps are just not enough?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If the battery is loosing charge that fast it is definitly bad, repalce it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
sorry, doesn't try to crank or doesn't try to start? that is it turns over but never catches?
Is there a pull starter to try?
Don't forget the gas will be nasty in it. You should drain out the gas tank and clean it. You may have to disassemble the carb to clean out the gunk in the passages. You will know if it starts, but won't stay running.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did you sit in the seat when you tried to start it? Some of them have a safety switch and can only be started while you are in the seat.

...with the clutch depressed AND check the starter ring gear, mine will throw out and get stuck on the flywheel, you can use your hand to move it back in place. You MUST spend the 20 bucks and get a new battery.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a similar problem on a Troy Built.  My problem turned out to be the needle valve in the float bowl.  It was stuck in the open position.  Over time gas would flow into the engine and I'd end up with a cylinder full of gas.  Gas is incompressible so the engine wouldn't crank.  I pulled the spark plug completely out and hit the starter.  A gush of gas came squirting out of the spark plug hole.  Cranked it a few times then reinstalled the plug.  Fired up just fine.  The el-cheapo solution was a manual cut-off valve in the gas line.  Note that when you try this, make sure you pull the plug wire off the plug or it may spark and turn this gush of gasoline into a fire ball.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like the first thing is to isolate the battery.  Before you buy a new battery, try to jump start the mower from your car or a charger with a high amp start feature.  If the starter turns over, then put a good battery in and finish the rest.  At minimum clean the air filter and spark plug.  You might also look for burned out fuses.

If the starter won't turn over with a jump, then you have to decide how much money you want to sink into a "free" mower; it could get ugly, fast.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Got new battery changed the spark plug. Fuses ok air filter looks new.

Now when I turn the key I can hear a clunk sound like something is happening but I have no clue what. Before nothing would happen with the old battery.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Jump the starter solenoid
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If you haven't tried it already... try turning it over by hand to make sure it isn't seized up...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Jump the starter solenoid

+1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top