Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 5:23:44 PM EDT
So far this week, I have met 4 people that I went to high school with. I was certainly not the most well liked person in my classes, with a penchant for underage drinking and fighting, as well as being quite a lardass. That, combined with the attitudes of those who were always "better off" than I combined to pretty much make high school miserable for me, with classmates ranging from openly hostile to me to at best, indifferent.

That said, so far this week, out of my small graduating class of 24, I have had contact with four of my old classmates. Two got married and wound up calling me because they can't get along. They're dealing with a nasty divorce and can't stand being near each other. Did I mention neither one can stay their dumb asses out of jail?

Number 3 got arrested thanks to me Fruday night for stealing, of all things, a beer mirror from a bar. While it was open. With hundreds of people around. What moron just walks up to a man-size mirror in a bar and tries to walk off with it and thinks he wont be noticed? Grand theft, click-click. Come with us sir.

Today I ran across one of the few girls in this world that I was truly smitten with. Terrific girl, beautiful, smart enough not to have anything to do with me...and now she's barefoot and pregnant, married to a guy from back home that knocked her up and barely stays home, and her single-wide is falling apart.

You know, sometimes, when I bitch about how bad things are, I don't have to look far to see something to remind me that things aren't so bad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Fun ain't it? I had similar experience in small town high school as you. Can't count how many are strung out on meth, crack, pills or just as you said. Knocked up, barefoot and living in a broken down trailer. These were all of the "well to do church kids" that were "going to go somewhere in life" and I, according to their plan was the one that was going to end up jail and on drugs. Funny how life works sometimes.......

From what I understand a preachers son recently blew part of his trailer up trying to cook up some meth. Now sure how true it is, the only way I ever go back to that hellhole is to see my parents and luckily I do not have to go into the town itself since they live on acreage outside of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fun ain't it? I had similar experience in small town high school as you. Can't count how many are strung out on meth, crack, pills or just as you said. Knocked up, barefoot and living in a broken down trailer. These were all of the "well to do church kids" that were "going to go somewhere in life" and I, according to their plan was the one that was going to end up jail and on drugs. Funny how life works sometimes.......

From what I understand a preachers son recently blew part of his trailer up trying to cook up some meth. Now sure how true it is, the only way I ever go back to that hellhole is to see my parents and luckily I do not have to go into the town itself since they live on acreage outside of it.

And Mrs. NMSight is always asking why I've never gone to any of my class reunions........ She keeps bugging me though about the 40th coming up in a couple years. If it's not just still dopers and drunks I may try to make that one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
classmates ranging from openly hostile to me to at best, indifferent

That's EXACTLY how it was with me back then.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
you could work at burger king and be better off than them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Success is it's own revenge
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been to a few reunions and I am amazed how not-so-far some of the privileged ones have not gone.  I turned out ok in the end.  It just took me a while to get here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
classmates ranging from openly hostile to me to at best, indifferent

That's EXACTLY how it was with me back then.  

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Mrs. NMSight is always asking why I've never gone to any of my class reunions........ She keeps bugging me though about the 40th coming up in a couple years. If it's not just still dopers and drunks I may try to make that one.

It's funny really, I was labeled a pot head. When really I smoked it a few times and never saw the point. While I did do my fairshare of drinking, it really was not much compared to some of my peers. Everyone I know who grew up in smalltowns seem to have the same experience, at least the ones who got out of the towns. I like country life, and would definitley live there.

But, in all honesty having attended both larger city schools and small town schools the larger city schools are better. I saw more drugs, violence, teen pregnancy etc in a high school that the town had a population of less than a 1000 than I did in a city with a population over 100k. Not to mention the teachers in the small town high school were a joke, their education was at best a minimum level.

I would live out in the woods again, but if I have children they will be home schooled. I would never subject them to crap I went through. If you aren't part of the "birth group" in your graduating class you are beyond ostracized and treated like crap. I was accused over a 2 week period several times of breaking into the school, another time I was a "distribution level" drug dealer. I guess I just did not fit their stupid mold they had, so I paid the penalties.

Last time I was there, I saw a girl I dated. She looked like every crackwhore standing on the corner down here that I unfortunatly have to deal with. Nasty infested sores from shootin up meth. Oh well maybe the parents with their heads in the sand there will finally realized it's not their country "eutopia" they thought it was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top