Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 11:59:47 AM EDT
Hi.

I'm 23.  I joined the air force several months ago, and ship in mid november.

I swore on 5/25/05 and didn't get my ship date until recently.  Had been living life on hold.

Short version:  god I'm bored, I have about two months, and I have some money.  What to do?

Specifics....no significant other at this point, gave notice at work, 10/7 is my last day but I can leave any time prior to that w/o problems (I'm doing owners a favor working there; I don't want to screw them since one is a reference on security check).  Have a bunch of guns.  Most friends my own age (within 10 years) are a few hours away, and have established their own lives.

Nothing seems really interesting.

Insight appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Go shoot a USPSA match!!! Hell of a good time.

USPSA
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Drink some beers. Read math books.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Save your money.  You will need it when you get out of confinement training for 4-7 months and want to fly home before going to your first base or what ever you want to do then.  You will have more fun with it right after training than now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Save your money.  You will need it when you get out of confinement training for 4-7 months and want to fly home before going to your first base or what ever you want to do then.  You will have more fun with it right after training than now.

Sorry, not laughing at you.  Going N1330.  Training is 18 months.

I hadn't considered that, though, about now v. in.  I think I've got my finances pretty squared away...hmm.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be the first to say hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to Manchester Firing Line and rent a submachine gun........or go shooting some other crazy shit up in NH.....there are plenty of ranges....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, not laughing at you.  Going N1330.  Training is 18 months.

I hadn't considered that, though, about now v. in.  I think I've got my finances pretty squared away...hmm.

That's what I mean.  When you get out of basic after 6 weeks you don't just put on your civilian clothes and do what you want.  You will be a minimun of 4 months in before you get any freedom to blow money and have fun.  Spend the time you have now with friends and family doing things that don't cost money.  When you are away from all of them and finally get freedom again everything in the stores look like candy to a 3 year old.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'll be the first to say hookers and blow.

Give the blow to the hookers... that way you "drop" will still be clean.

Dose yourself with some Knob Creek (or other substitute beverage) and have a
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Go back to your recuriter and tell him you decided to be a man and join the Army or Marine Corp.

In all honesty... enjoy your free time. Once Basic starts you'll wish you had more of it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Drink and get laid as much as possible, oh wait you said AirForce. Nevermind you get to do all that in training.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Drink and get laid as much as possible, oh wait you said AirForce. Nevermind you get to do all that in training.

I think getting laid counts as PT nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think getting laid counts as PT nowadays.

What does Air Force boot camp PT consist of anyway? Seriously.

<----------------Blatant hijack (tagged BTW )
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

AFAIK:  Run.  run more.  Do pushups.  Do situps.  Run more.  Inspection.

I'll check back in....um....several months and let you know what it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AFAIK:  Run.  run more.  Do pushups.  Do situps.  Run more.  Inspection.

I'll check back in....um....several months and let you know what it is.

Good luck and keep your chin up!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
What AFSC?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What AFSC?

1N330.  Crypto linguist apprentice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go back to your recuriter and tell him you decided to be a man and join the Army or Marine Corp. Coast Guard

In all honesty... enjoy your free time. Once Basic starts you'll wish you had more of it.

Fixed it for you........

Good luck with AF boot camp.........no idea what it consists of.......I only did Army Basic training at Fort Sill in 1998 (no USCG boot camp for me )

Enjoy your time off prior to reporting.......
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Going to Goodfellow for tech school huh? Good luck I just retrained into 1N5X1. Have fun man.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Go back to your recuriter and tell him you decided to be a man and join the Army or Marine Corp. Coast Guard

Absolutely cannot go Coast Guard.  Uncle did 24 years as an officer.  Um...how to put this...words fail me.  Short version, he's a dork, and ruined my perception of that branch.  Sorry coasties.  Particular apologies to anyone who served under him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're a Mass resident,  get in your car and head up to NH for a couple awesome hikes.   The Franconia Notch Ridge Trail (Up the Falling Waters trail, across the ridge over 3 peaks, then down the Bridle path trail) is a good 8 hour hike with great views.   Or do Mt. Washington if you've never done it before, but check the weather before you head up, it's always worse on top there, even on good forecast days for the state.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely cannot go Coast Guard.  Uncle did 24 years as an officer.  Um...how to put this...words fail me.  Short version, he's a dork, and ruined my perception of that branch.  Sorry coasties.  Particular apologies to anyone who served under him.

I was just making a joke - sorry to hear of your particular experience  .......on the enlisted side, I work with some of the best people ever. Officers - well- its 50/50....You'll find its hit or miss everywhere in the military - I did four years Army and I have mixed feelings about that. No branch is perfect - hopefully you encounter good leaders in the respective unit you serve in. My uncle is almost retired from the Air National Guard - in his case he wishes he had gone USCG - but again - there are so many variables. Best of luck again. If you ever want to go shooting in NH - hit me up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just making a joke - sorry to hear of your particular experience  .......on the enlisted side, I work with some of the best people ever. Officers - well- its 50/50....You'll find its hit or miss everywhere in the military - I did four years Army and I have mixed feelings about that. No branch is perfect - hopefully you encounter good leaders in the respective unit you serve in. My uncle is almost retired from the Air National Guard - in his case he wishes he had gone USCG - but again - there are so many variables. Best of luck again. If you ever want to go shooting in NH - hit me up.

I'm sure you meant Navy instead of Coasties right? I've never been a puddle jumper.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Go shoot a USPSA match!!! Hell of a good time.

USPSA

I shot blacklight tonite at the Taunton Rifle & Pistol club.  If y'all aren't familliar with it (do other places do this??)  black light bulbs installed in light fixtures, targets outlined w/ hilighter in certain areas.  Max of 6 targets to make it revolver neutral.  

On command, shooter loads six rounds.  When timer signals, lights go out, shooter starts engaging targets.  After six rounds, lights come back on.  RO verifies safe, course of fire repeated, RO, shooter and another RO [lights] go forward to score.  

Scoring is based upon shot location and time.  As a general rule, night sights, red dots, night vision, lasers, mounted white lights, etc, are prohibited.  If you show up with any of the above, you're free to shoot, but your score is disqualified.  During the summer, informal matches are held which allow the above equipment.  Night sights work great in the dark; red dots and visible lasers kick ass.  Lasers let all the spectators know how much you shake, though...

I don't recall anyone with NV ever showing up.  

It was fun, even though we had a small showing.  Turns out my new G19 has night sights that aren't quite dead.  

KlubMarcus
How are things in Texas?
I had a few, controlled beers tonite.  I am trying to regulate and restrict my alcohol consumption between now and the total prohibition of basic.  I never was much for math, only got 530 math on SAT.  A recurring phrase in my life is 'math is hard'.  

Why math?

Everyone else:  never was too much for partying, least not with hookers & blow.  
Sorry, not that smooth with ladies, can't see wasting the money on hookers when there are ex's, and drugs pose no interest at all (plus the drug test bit, who ever mentioned it.  Good call)

Nothing seems interesting anymore.  Have a few books coming from amazon..........P J O'Rourke and something else.  Hoping that will do something.

Guns:  I have a bunch of guns I don't shoot much.  Some don't hold much interest (Mausers and left handed folks are combative, at best).  Most of the rest just kinda say 'wtf, I'm going to be trained on the M16A2 in 2 months'  Already earned distinguished expert 5 years ago.

Boats - thank you.  I'm really looking forward to this.

Two Marines I know have been advising me.  Master Gunny _____________ showed me how to strip an M16 properly, and warned me against some common mistakes ('never stick a swab here.  Some asshole in your group is going to do this.  You just watch for it.  The stick is going to break off, and he won't be able to get it out.  Use a pipe cleaner'.)

Sgt. _____________ has shown me the proper way to do situps, and is making/allowing me to do a few sets on work time every morning.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top