Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 6:57:45 AM EDT
My P220?  I know that I can't have an AR... can't have my standard-capacity G19...  I'm happy with the .45, single stack 8 rd mags are fine.

Any problems here?  I know I can't carry, but unloaded and cased?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
General Guidelines for Transporting Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not within any of the classes excepted from firearm possession and who resides or is temporarily in California from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.htm
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a CCW permit yes !   If not, No !    

Caveat:  If you have a CCW, Cali is most likely not a reciprical state, however, bring it anyway, most of us LEO's won't give you a hard time about it.   Realistically speaking, if the gun is in a case and the ammo locked in another case, most cops won't care.   They realize as a truck driver you are trying to obey the law so it won't cause us to get our panties in a bunch.

If you get by Bakersfield, CA (SR99 @ SR58)  Let me know, Lunch is on me !

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you have a CCW permit yes !   If not, No !    

Caveat:  If you have a CCW, Cali is most likely not a reciprical state, however, bring it anyway, most of us LEO's won't give you a hard time about it.   Realistically speaking, if the gun is in a case and the ammo locked in another case, most cops won't care.   They realize as a truck driver you are trying to obey the law so it won't cause us to get our panties in a bunch.

If you get by Bakersfield, CA (SR99 @ SR58)  Let me know, Lunch is on me !

Well, here's my thing...

I'm not concerend about carrying it.  Right now, it's piece of mind in case I get stuck in a New Orleans type situation.  A reasonable concern by any measure...

I have a CHL, so I've got the "good guy stamp of approval"

Even if I got pulled over, I wouldn't tell the LEO I had the pistol unless he specifically asked if I had any weapons on the truck.  But in a case, in a duffle bag, in the bunk is someplace that I've NEVER had checked for ANYTHING.... except going into Canada
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you will be fine, have a safe trip !
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, here's another ? for you...

Does the ammo have to be locked up?  If so, must it be in a separate container?  Are loaded mags a no-no?

Or can I put a box of ammo, a few empty mags, and my pistol in one locked case?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, here's another ? for you...

Does the ammo have to be locked up?  If so, must it be in a separate container?  Are loaded mags a no-no?

Or can I put a box of ammo, a few empty mags, and my pistol in one locked case?

No the ammo doesn't have to be locked up.

Yes, a seperate container is good - I like the little cardboard boxes with the little plastic trays that hold the rounds.

Loaded magazines are good, just not in the gun rug with the pistol, or loaded inside the pistol.

Ok, my primary concern is logistically speaking as opposed to tactically... so then the following would be given a green light by a California LEO if all else is kosher:

A locked case containing:
Unloaded pistol
Several unloaded magazines
A box of ammo

All in one box?

Very cool.  I'm happy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Paul!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Not that I'd advocate doing anything illegal, but concealed carry is only a misdemeanor on your first offense in California. I'm just staying...

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I carried M4 in my truck all the time.. do they know?  no.. dont tell dont ask...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top