Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:32:34 PM EDT

My main video card is a Geforce on the AGP, but the ATI card is on a random PCI slot.  I want to hook my cable coax and watch TV.  Is there any plug-ins for media player or something I can use?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have a ATI all-in-wonder (or other brand video card with tv tuner built in), you need a seperate TV tuner card. There must be some mechanism that receives TV coded signals (whether through rabbit ears or cable tv/VCR box) and decodes into computer talk (simplification).

Now many cards have a video "out" that you can hook to a TV, but very few have a TV signal video "in".

If you want to buy one to be able to watch tv through your PC, they are pretty cheap at about $40-50 bucks for a basic one like a ATI PCI TV  tuner card. More expensive models have remote controls. They also generally have TIVO type capabilities in being able to record anything coming into the PC onto your hard drive. be aware that it takes up a LOT of hard drive space.

I have a basic ATI TV card and it works fine with either rabbit ears or cable/dish input (through a VCR). It comes with a nice nice program (forgot name) that allows you to download show listings of every channel without charge.

I basically got it so I could hook up my PS2 and play games and not hog the TV. Works good, but PS2 on nice monitors really shows how crappy PS2 games look.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Any TV tuner card should have come with drivers and software to watch it.

The CD probably installed a simple (cheesy?) program when you installed the drivers for the card.

Look in your installed programs, for it.  

I'm not sure what ATI calls their program.  It's probably obvious in the start/programs menu though.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless I am mistaken (as the Rage Pro is pretty darn old), the Rage Pro is just a plain ol' video card. Doesn't matter what drivers or software you use. Not a TV tuner and no inputs. I could be wrong though as I'm going by memory.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]
You need an All In Wonder 9700 PRO

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Currently the best TV tuner cards are the hauppauge pvr150 and cards based on the ATI Theater 550pro. As others have said, the rage pro is a old ancient video card not a tuner/capture card.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
And they dont work with satellite, already tried it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Any TV tuner card should have come with drivers and software to watch it.

The CD probably installed a simple (cheesy?) program when you installed the drivers for the card.

Look in your installed programs, for it.  

I'm not sure what ATI calls their program.  It's probably obvious in the start/programs menu though.

yes but whats on the CD is too old and not compatible with XP.  HAd to downlaod the drivers from the ATI website, which stil laren't working
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top