Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:21:09 PM EDT
As some of you may know I purchased a CMP Field grade Garand through CMP last week. I took it to the range today and WOW I was impressed... need a little more practice with it BUT that is OK. ALMOST got M1 thumb until Mall Ninja stepped in to give me a few pointer... Thanks Mall Ninja!!

What sucks though is that you have to shoot 8 rounds at a time.. boxes hold 20 rounds so You can either shoot 2 boxes @ 40 rounds.... NOT enough... Next is 4 boxes @80 rounds... Nahhhhh STILL not enough... I stopped at 96 rounds but now I have 4 rounds rolling around in the bottom of my range box... I HATE that

May I make a suggestion? PLEASE take advantage of this deal at CMP... Get involved with a state club abd GO FOR IT!!! You will NOT be sorry.

Plans for another Garand are in the works...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's hard to beat the ole' Garand for fun factor.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta love that *PING*!

Well....more like a *SCHRING* to me...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
try bump fireing it.........it's great fun.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in the Hell are the damn pics
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Gotta love that *PING*!

Well....more like a *SCHRING* to me...

Brings a smile to my face every time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are a couple of photos of my pair of Garands.

The one on the left (and top) is one I bought from a friend who had owned it since about 1964 and had bought it from his brother who owned it for years before that. I paid $300 for it 2 years ago with an extra stock (shown on the H&R below) and a bagful of goodies that he had lying around.

From what I've been able to tell it's an arsenal rebuilt Springfield with what appears to be the original wood, barrel and receiver, the only replacements are the sights (common I gather) and the trigger guard which is a Winchester. This old veteran was born in January 1944.

The young pup next to him is my CMP Greek import Harrington & Richardson service grade. The stock is one I had lying around because I don't like the grip contour on the included stock. The wood is in pretty ugly shape (the handguard is the color all the wood looked like on opening the box) particularly on the handguard which has deep scratches and gouges but it shoots quite well and the metal is in phenomenal shape. In fact I hadn't realized how faded the parkerizing on my Springfield was until I took these pics. Look what good shape the finish is in with the new one. Cool!

The absolute best part is sitting next to new shooters at the range and watching them look over nervously  when 'parts' come flying out of my rifle. TING!!!

-Observer

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
To solve the problem of having the 4 rounds left over you can buy a 2 round clip or fire 4 rounds and then eject the rest of the clip and then add the 4 rounds to it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine made it to the range today to accompany my new (to me) Walther P-38 in test firing. Both performed very well. I was shooting a tiny bit right, and down (need to adjust the sights) but the groups were tight.

About $350 to my door - Springfield USGI Rack Grade. The wood has a couple dings, but the bore is clean with no pitting, and the metal has some slight blemishes and finish wear, but that'll be fixed when I sent it out for some restoration work in a couple months.

A blast to shoot. Someone in chat told me that the Garand had a bitchin' kick, and after hearing this I was slightly concerned with the first round fired, however soon came to the conclusion that whoever said that is a certifiable pussy.

ETA: Serial in the low 4.2M.. I missed out on the war (mid 1946 production) but am still very, very happy with the purchase.

Now I need more!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I paid $600 for my 52 H&R with all matching numbers (sans the trigger group).  By far my favorite rifle - accurate, historical, and fun as hell.  We are going out tomorrow, in fact, and she will have lots of rounds through her, as usual.  

IMHO, no collection is complete without a Gararnd.  And you have TWO!!!!!  Lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I paid $600 for my 52 H&R with all matching numbers (sans the trigger group).  By far my favorite rifle - accurate, historical, and fun as hell.  We are going out tomorrow, in fact, and she will have lots of rounds through her, as usual.  

IMHO, no collection is complete without a Gararnd.  And you have TWO!!!!!  Lucky bastard.

He still needs one more to make full use of the Stacking swivels
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He still needs one more to make full use of the Stacking swivels

He can always give me his two!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.

bah, I am not joining any club.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.

Then don't, but don't bitch about not being able to buy cheap rifles from the CMP.

But if you do decide to join a club, the GCA is one of the best to join to fill the club requirement.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

More for me!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.

Then don't, but don't bitch about not being able to buy cheap rifles from the CMP.

But if you do decide to join a club, the GCA is one of the best to join to fill the club requirement.

I wont bitch, believe me.

I will just buy a new springfield armory or something, if I ever feel the need to have one.  My M1A national match is good enough for right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.

Eh its not a matter of having to join a club or not... True, you can buy a new one if that is what your tastes are. Hell, I LOVE "New" rifles but it is the buying of history for such a low price is what is so appealing. A new Springfield Armory M1 here is 1300.00 and that is NOT the original Springfield, When you can get an original one for 350.00? why wouldnt you?

I could liken it to musical equipment picture a brand new Fender guitar for 1300.00 when you can have an old one played by Eric Clapton for 350.00

Besides, what is joining a club gonna cost ya? CRPA here is 18.00.

If that is not your cup of tea, That's cool.  It wasnt mine just one year ago.... then the bug bit me
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:42:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Eh its not a matter of having to join a club or not... True, you can buy a new one if that is what your tastes are. Hell, I LOVE "New" rifles but it is the buying of history for such a low price is what is so appealing. A new Springfield Armory M1 here is 1300.00 and that is NOT the original Springfield, When you can get an original one for 350.00? why wouldnt you?

I could liken it to musical equipment picture a brand new Fender guitar for 1300.00 when you can have an old one played by Eric Clapton for 350.00

Well said. They aren't making anymore REAL Garands. The kind that saved the world and beat the Japs, Italians, and Germans.
You could own a piece of American history at its finest hour or you could get one of those new guns from a company that had nothing to do with it but are making a killing making fake ones that come nowhere near the quality of an actual Springfield Garand.

It was an easy choice for me. Just don't change your mind until February so I can get at least two more. That goes for all of you, no more Garands until after February!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Told ya,

my Garand barks, and it is the sound of freedom and justice, circa 1943.  There is soooooo much history in this thing.  

Once you've shot one, you will be forever changed.  

'PING'

You can still love your AR, Glock or whatever flavor blows your skirt up.  But, the Garand, now there's class.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Best deal in the country right now IMHO I took advantage too.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice looking group, I'm jealous.

Here's my lonely July, 1943 Springfield and a mil-spec:

I'm gonna pick up two or three more in February with my income tax refund. I hope they don't run out by then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 2 complete Springfield rifles and one Winchester receiver.

Based on the codes, it appears one of the Springfields was arsenal rebuilt in the early 60's. If true, then it must not have been fired following the rebuild, because the barrel is pristine.

The other Springfield is post Korean, and looks like it has seen better days.

These things are addictive. I just wish ammo were cheaper.

We need another batch of that Danish ammo to be released.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#24]
A better solution to the left-over rounds problem is to stop buying those little 20-round boxes!  Buy the big boxes filled up with pre-loaded clips!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I got my C&R license so I plan to pick one up.
Questions:

1). Where is the best place to pick up reliable/quality clips?

2). What if I wanted to change the barrel? Are there quality/accurate/HD chrome-lined barrels available for the M1?

3). Are there replacement stocks available? I know some people do not like polymer but it'd be a great modernized replacement for the wooden furniture... IMHO of course

4). Does it take 30-06 or .308? What's the best place to get non-corrosive 30-06?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did it cost?

I might have to get one.

If that is not your cup of tea, That's cool.  It wasnt mine just one year ago.... then the bug bit me

I'm not a fan of joining clubs either...

That's why I have a C&R license I still need to join the CMP or some $20-$25/fee thing, and then $300-$400, bam, CMP Garand at my doorstep. Right? That's what I gathered from the requirements...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I could care less to own a Garand...    now if CMP started selling M-14 I would jump on it !!

LB
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a tanker built on a 1943 SA receiver. I know that purists poo poo the tanker but I like the smaller size and the bark really get the heads turning on the range. Accuracy is fine for as good as my eyesight is and I like shooting it so much, I might actually buy a set of dies and add 30-06 to my reloading schedule.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's why I have a C&R license I still need to join the CMP or some $20-$25/fee thing, and then $300-$400, bam, CMP Garand at my doorstep. Right? That's what I gathered from the requirements...

Your C&R only covers the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement, not the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" requirement.  You will still need to join a CMP affiliated club.

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Questions:

Just about anywhere. They're all over.

2). What if I wanted to change the barrel? Are there quality/accurate/HD chrome-lined barrels available for the M1?

CMP sells replacement barrels. I paid $165 for mine and it shoots GOOD

3). Are there replacement stocks available? I know some people do not like polymer but it'd be a great modernized replacement for the wooden furniture... IMHO of course

Boyd makes a set for about $80. It's a slam dunk drop in.

4). Does it take 30-06 or .308? What's the best place to get non-corrosive 30-06?

99.999% of them are in 30/06. The few that are in NATO 7.62 are collectors items and are worth a fortune. The Navy made them for Match purposes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Where in the Hell are the damn pics

Pictures

Ok  I know it is among these pics from the range.....Not sure which one it is  
I will make a guess....
Scroll down to the 2 pics of guns in the rack...
first pics....the one with the wood stock I believe is the garand
2nd rack pic is the one with the wood stock is DFDs gun....I recognize that one
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
How were your groups, first time out?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How were your groups, first time out?

Please forgive me... I didnt care the first time around I was shooting at a hunk of wood with a 14" painted flourescent circle and hitting it. I want to make a trip to the range in a couple of weeks to actually sight it in. With all the fixin's of a shooter's rest and spotting scope.

OH and another asking of forgivness... I openly admit I shot my M1 MORE than I did my AR15 yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

<sniff, sniff> I am so proud!
It seems just like yesterday that he was asking how to get A Garand. Now he already wants a 2nd.
<wipes tear from eye>
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I would love to have a CMP Garand but the 'hoops'  to jump through,forget it I do not care for being afilliated with any firearms club/marksmanship program I just want the Damn Rifle! it's good to know these weapons are finding loving homes to be collected,admired,fired and post pix of them...Bless your Soul.

Someday& Someway I hope to Gaze upon my own CMP Garand and give it a good home I doubt  just one will do though
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would love to have a CMP Garand but the 'hoops'  to jump through,forget it I do not care for being afilliated with any firearms club/marksmanship program I just want the Damn Rifle! it's good to know these weapons are finding loving homes to be collected,admired,fired and post pix of them...Bless your Soul.

Someday& Someway I hope to Gaze upon my own CMP Garand and give it a good home I doubt  just one will do though

there are NO hoops to jump through. fill out the pack and be a member of an affliated club. our dues are 10.00 for non active members. your CCW qualifies as the shoot requirement or get your local range to certify you have fired a weapon.

takes all of about 20 min to fill out and mail. if thats a problem..... never mind you don't deserve one.

the biggest "Hoop" (it thats what you wanna call it) was going to the notary.. BIG F***ING deal! 5 minute stop to my credit union that does it for free.

In Hindsight it looked like a lot to do BEFORE I got the M1... now that I did it... It was NOTHING. Best part is now that I am on file there... If I want another... just order it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Questions:

Just about anywhere. They're all over.

CMP sells replacement barrels. I paid $165 for mine and it shoots GOOD

Boyd makes a set for about $80. It's a slam dunk drop in.

99.999% of them are in 30/06. The few that are in NATO 7.62 are collectors items and are worth a fortune. The Navy made them for Match purposes.

They are not that expensive. I paid 1k for mine but it was in perfect condition, and tho that is a big jump from a 400.00 cmp service rifle, It is not all that bad considering most decent .45s nowadays are running 700+ and an USGI pistol in decent shape will run that amount most of the time. And yes, I shoot mine as often as I shoot my FAL.

AIM Surplus has PS Korean non corrosive 80s ammo in clips and bandoleers for about 90 bucks for 384 rounds and if you buy 2 cans or more it drops to 85, 4 or more 82.50 each. Some don't like it but I have shot 3 cans worth so far this year and all has gone bang, has been pretty clean, no problems with brass, seemed consistant, and accurate enough for me with open sights. Good clips with it. Some lots are not good, there ARE problems with it but all you have to do is ask them to check the number and they will. Every lot they said was shipping did, so I assume they did check. They come with decent clips and I have had no problem with reusing them over and over.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there are NO hoops to jump through. fill out the pack and be a member of an affliated club. our dues are 10.00 for non active members. your CCW qualifies as the shoot requirement or get your local range to certify you have fired a weapon.

takes all of about 20 min to fill out and mail. if thats a problem..... never mind you don't deserve one.

Thanks for the info Mike,it gives me something to work on....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you need help with getting into a club IM me i can help you out.

mike

Beer Slayer,  this has been the biggest obstacle for me,  I work so much that finding some local club and paying the dues has been a hassle and I haven't gotten around to it.  

Do you guys have a way to sign up a non active member in another state or is there some "internet club" or something that I can sign up for?

I'm pretty sure the time I spend posting here qualifies me for a club of some kind......

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Questions:

You can pick up clips off ebay.

There are guys out there that specialize in garand/M14 type rifles.  They can make your rifle better.  Like match grade heavy barrels, and stuff like that.

Most of them take 30-06 ammo.  Stick with that.  That is what the long action is designed for.  You might want to go to midway and pick up a couple of 2 round clips.  Then go and shoot a garand match.  Lots of fun.  In the right hands, the are pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Questions:

1). Where is the best place to pick up reliable/quality clips? Call Lou @ LRB arms, he has very good prices on en-bloc clips LRB Arms

2). What if I wanted to change the barrel? Are there quality/accurate/HD chrome-lined barrels available for the M1? Warbird

The CMP has both USGI and Greek M2 Ball amoo for your Garand
Link For Greek Surplus
Link for USGI Surplus

Answers in Red......links in Blue
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you need help with getting into a club IM me i can help you out.

mike

Beer Slayer,  this has been the biggest obstacle for me,  I work so much that finding some local club and paying the dues has been a hassle and I haven't gotten around to it.  

Do you guys have a way to sign up a non active member in another state or is there some "internet club" or something that I can sign up for?

I'm pretty sure the time I spend posting here qualifies me for a club of some kind......

Crash, does Utah have a state rifle or pistol association? (like an NRA on the state level?) I just joined one here in NY, and all it took was a sending them a check for $25.00.  If you go to the CMP website, it should list all the affiliated clubs in your state.  Personally I've decided that a Garand will definitely be my next firearm purchase.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your C&R only covers the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement, not the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" requirement.  You will still need to join a CMP affiliated club.

Is the NRA a CMP affiliated organization? If so, I've got that covered.

Now I just need to find a fricking place to take the Hunter's Safety Course so I can 1) hunt legally, and 2) fulfill the Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity requirement.

I've been trying to find someone in my area giving the course for over two years now. The ONE time I found somebody, the person giving the class died the night before the course was scheduled to take place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the NRA a CMP affiliated organization? If so, I've got that covered.

Now I just need to find a fricking place to take the Hunter's Safety Course so I can 1) hunt legally, and 2) fulfill the Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity requirement.

I've been trying to find someone in my area giving the course for over two years now. The ONE time I found somebody, the person giving the class died the night before the course was scheduled to take place.

Swindle, I don't believe that being an NRA member counts...go here to search for clubs in Texas that are affiliated   http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top