Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 7:33:24 PM EDT
They were saying how the problem with the world today is the Globalists.  And the only way to battle Globalism is with Nationalism.

Hmmm.... Nationalism is scary.  That's how Hitler came to power... by giving the Germans a strong sense of Nationalism.

With the obivious divide in this country... it could just as easily break Globalist/Nationalist as it can White/Black...

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't just Nationalism that led to the troubles with Nazi Germany.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It wasn't just Nationalism that led to the troubles with Nazi Germany.

ablecd.wz.cz/darkside/article/nazi-parade-2.jpg

No, it was the conditions imposed upon Germany after they lost a war, that led to the national "moral vaccume" that Hitler filled...

What happens when we get to that point?  Are we there now?  W. is up there preaching the "one big happily family speech"  Folks dig that shit...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If it comes to that, personally i'de join the side of my country.

Read: Country, not politicians.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think a Nazi type organization could happen here, but I doubt the Germans thought it could happen there either. I do see globalism as a huge problem, but also one that we can't stop.

The black/white thing I don't see a problem with, meaning I don't think we'll ever have that type of battle. Isolated riots maybe, but not some open warfare deal between people simply over race.

I could be wrong though. It's happened many times before.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They were saying how the problem with the world today is the Globalists.  And the only way to battle Globalism is with Nationalism.

Hmmm.... Nationalism is scary.  That's how Hitler came to power... by giving the Germans a strong sense of Nationalism.

With the obivious divide in this country... it could just as easily break Globalist/Nationalist as it can White/Black...

Thoughts?

PLEASE can we just hurry up and get on with it... all this waiting and speculating is getting old.

For once I want a legitimate reason for all the "tactical" and "mil-spec" purchases.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well the US is (generally) full of Nationalism. we've got great national pride. That's what pisses off so many Europeans, they are tending towards Globalism. It's also why so many other countries think of us as arrogant.

But taken to an extreme, yes, Nationalism could lead to tribalism.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, with the Nazi's you've got a whole slew of issues in the rise. You could write a book. Many have.

Anyway, I think all -ism's are like whiskey. Living without it is bad. Bad bad bad. You need some to be a real honest to god human being.  But too much is also bad and you'll wake up with strange things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
You can pick up some real crazies on short wave.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Nationalism.....

Nationwide......

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What frequencies are you guys listening to? What times?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

This was on 5850 mHz around 0100 UTC, IIRC...

ETA:  They said the transmitter was in Maine, but to QSL to an address in Indiana... trying to Google different calls to see what I come up with...

ETA:  Found it... program linky
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Part of the reason the Nazis came to power was the extremely weird political structure that allowed the Nazis to co-opt (yes I know, only liberal professors use that word, bite me) enough of the vote to get their foot in the door.  There were 4 or 5 major partys that split the vote in Weimer Germany.

Also, the Nazis used a paramilitary organization (SA) to violently obstruct leftists from the polls.  Then they got lucky when Hindenberg asked Hitler to be Chancellor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Given that the global economy and the exchange of goods and services across national borders is a fact, those countries that "Try" and protect their home-grown (Efficient or not) industries through prohibitive import fees and tariffs will just get left further and further behind.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No worse than what you pick up on cable TV or even free broadcast (ABC,CBS,NBC...)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No worse than what you pick up on cable TV or even free broadcast (ABC,CBS,NBC...)

True
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

This was on 5850 mHz around 0100 UTC, IIRC...

ETA:  They said the transmitter was in Maine, but to QSL to an address in Indiana... trying to Google different calls to see what I come up with...

ETA:  Found it... program linky

Thanks, I guess it is time to drag out the Yaesu and hook it back up.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Given that the global economy and the exchange of goods and services across national borders is a fact, those countries that "Try" and protect their home-grown (Efficient or not) industries through prohibitive import fees and tariffs will just get left further and further behind.

But it's always been a global economy, with exception of the years "in between" the wars where the US was isolationist...

No, the Globalism today isn't the marketplace, it's the control of national policy across the different nation-states...

ETA:  And the only goal of that flavor of Globalism is to make it easier tomorrow to assume more control and further erode the concept of "national soverignty"
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]

A troubling thought after listening to short wave last night...  

You realized that you don't quite have the room for a 160m dipole?

Your SWR is too high?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But it's always been a global economy, with exception of the years "in between" the wars where the US was isolationist...

No, the Globalism today isn't the marketplace, it's the control of national policy across the different nation-states...

ETA:  And the only goal of that flavor of Globalism is to make it easier tomorrow to assume more control and further erode the concept of "national soverignty"

Well I'll respectfully disagree NW.

Whatever the aims of individual states are as far as exports go the very fact that a given product is available to whatever percentage of the market is able to access it WILL effect those that attempt to gain political advantage "In-House" by restricting said access.

The genie is out of the bottle, ain't no-one gonna put her back in at this point.  You either get competetive or you die.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top