Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 2:30:10 PM EDT
Does anyone have a Consumer Reports internet membership?  I was hoping that someone could look something up for me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not. Commies.  Just ask here, someone will kow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Being in an industry rated by C/R I wouldn't buy much of anything rated by them. Ask your question here and you'll probably end up with much better information.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Being in an industry rated by C/R I wouldn't buy much of anything rated by them. Ask your question here and you'll probably end up with much better information.

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, here goes.  I'm looking into a '99 Honda Accord coupe V6 and just was curious to see what they had to say.  Does anyone have experience with one?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll probably even have a picture within 10 min.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

What's wrong with Consumer Reports? I read it on occasion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
America hating, Kyoto loving, multiculturalist, big business hating far leftist.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a Consumer Reports internet membership?  I was hoping that someone could look something up for me.

Thanks

I have one.  What do you need?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Zippy,  Could you look up the report for the '99 Honda Accord LX Coupe V6?  I've heard a lot of strong opinions about it and I'd like to hear something legit before I buy it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Zippy,  Could you look up the report for the '99 Honda Accord LX Coupe V6?  I've heard a lot of strong opinions about it and I'd like to hear something legit before I buy it.  Thanks.

Coming up!  And I bet it is a utterly pristine review.  Hondas are bulletproof...but still...have a reputable mechanic check  it out.  A engine compression test can tell a lot.

Results coming...hang on...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if this image will work...gimme a chance...

newp...hang on....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay...here is their review!!!  Done in 3/99.

The driving experience
The Accord coupe doesn't ride as well as the Solara. It soaks up large bumps, but it lets you feel every minor pavement flaw. A full load makes the ride jittery. A little road rumble and wind rush find their way in.

The Accord corners responsively, and the body doesn't lean much. The steering is neither too heavy nor too light, but it feels rubbery. The car negotiated our avoidance maneuver quickly and neatly.

The V6 is a lively performer, though not as lively as the Solara's V6. Expect to average about 22 mpg. The 2.3-liter Four is noisier and slower, but it gets 2 or 3 mpg more and costs $1,450 less. The four-speed automatic transmission, the only one available with the V6, shifts smoothly. But the shifter slides too easily past fourth gear into third.

The car pulled to the side a little in our wet divided-pavement braking test, where the roadway is slicker under the left wheels than under the right.

Inside the car

The eight-way power seat and height-adjustable steering wheel helped all our drivers get comfortable. Head room is generous for six-footers, and leg room is adequate. Short drivers can see out well.

The leather-covered front seats provide good support, but they feel lumpy, and the adjustable bulge for the lower back feels too hard. The rear is cramped for two adults, let alone three.

The cabin has a deep glove compartment, an overhead case for glasses, a bin in the center console, a dash drawer, and map pockets and pouches. There are pairs of sturdy cup holders front and rear. You'll also find map lights and a programmable three-channel transmitter. Both sun visors have a pull-out extension and a lighted and covered vanity mirror.

The gauges are clear, and most controls are large and logical. Minor complaints: The sunroof control is oddly placed, on the left side of the dash; the panel-light control is hard to reach; controls for the power windows and outside mirrors aren't lighted.

The automatic climate system works quickly and effectively, but too much heat reaches the driver's right foot. The rear-window defroster is slow.

The roomy trunk can hold five Pullman cases and an overnight case, or a folded wheelchair. The split rear seatback can be folded, but the key release on the rear package shelf is hard to reach. So are the two pull-cord releases, buried deep in the trunk. A compact spare is all that's available. You can hang a plastic grocery bag on a hook in the trunk to keep it upright. The hinges on the trunk lid can crush whatever is beneath them when you close the trunk. A high sill makes loading a chore.

Safety and reliability

Besides dual air bags, the Accord has five lap-and-shoulder belts. The front belts may chafe a tall driver's shoulder. Neither side air bags nor belt pretensioners are available. The front head restraints are high enough even when lowered. The built-in rear head restraints are just adequate for tall adults.

The Accord coupe did well in the government's frontal crash test; the driver and front-passenger dummies suffered only moderate "injury." The driver dummy fared a little worse in a government side-impact crash test. Our bumper-basher inflicted $729 in damage in front and $661 in the rear.

Driving with kids: Some child seats may be impossible to cinch up in the left or right rear.

The Accord has had an excellent reliability record, and we predict that the coupe will hold up as well. Our car arrived with only one minor sample defect.

CR rated the '99 as having excellent to very good reliability ratings in all of the following categories...as well as "very good" crash test results...and a big thumbs up in the final overall reliability verdict.

97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04
Engine        
Cooling        
Fuel        
Ignition        
Transmission        
Electrical        
A/C        
Suspension        
Brakes        
Exhaust        
Power equipment        
Paint/Trim/Rust        
Body integrity        
Body hardware        
Reliability Verdict        

CR also had these general comments to say about used Accords....

Overview: The Accord has been one of our top-rated sedans for years. While smoother and quieter than the standard four-cylinder engine, the larger V6 engines made the car more front-heavy and less nimble. Interior space is fine for four, tight for five. A wagon model was available through 1997. If you're interested in a pre-2003 model, make sure to get an EX with standard ABS. The redesigned 1998 Accord is larger and quieter but similar overall. It is very refined for the class, especially when equipped with the 3.0-liter V6 engine. A 2003 redesign made the Accord even better with agile handling and a compliant ride.

Safety equipment: Dual front air bags standard. Side air bags available from 2000. Head protection air bags available from 2003. ABS available, standard from 2003. Safety-belt pretensioners standard from 2000.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

What's wrong with Consumer Reports? I read it on occasion.

In the fields that I am intimately familiar with, their reports and ratings are so far off that they are laughable. Guess when you accept money from advertisers you have to watch what you say.

Something to keep in mind. Generally, people who spend more money on something tend to be a bit picky. Little things that go otherwise unnoticed by the masses are found by the high end user. The high end user tends to take things in for service more often than the regular Joe. CR doesn't (or hasn't in the past) do a good job of separating true warranty issues from general service.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#14]
This is too easy...

Its a Japanese car....

We already know how C/R is going to rate it

Has a Honda or Toyota ever been poorly rated in C/R?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top