Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 2:26:20 PM EDT
How long does it last in gas cans?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Put stablizer in it and it will last alot longer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is 6 months.
Longer with Stabil.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to store gasoline for more than a couple of weeks, I recommend PRI-G, you can buy at the local boat supply place. Google for more info or PRI-G. PRI also makes PRI-D for diesel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My understanding is 6 months.
Longer with Stabil.

+1 Stabil pushes that to about a year.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
How long can you store diesel? Kerosene?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Most all of the above posts are pretty accurate.

The industry states fuel is good for thirty days. IF you can protect the fuel from air and temperature changes AND use a stabilizer it will last much longer. All fuels today contain one or more oxygenates, these compounds by their very nature tend to break down the fuels. Not much like the fuels of yesteryear. Some of the additives will also draw moisture out of the air. Best of luck on long term storage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How long can you store diesel? Kerosene?

I don't know about diesel, but I have some unopened 5 gallon cans of K-1 kersosene that are about 3 years old. When I opened one last year it was still good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Kero and diesel have lower vapor pressures, they tend to not lose their volatility as fast. They will deteriorate over time if in contact with air and both will grow fungus. Again treat, and keep from exposure to air and temperature changes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Becareful when storing unleaded fuel.  You should research the fuel and who makes it.  If you go to Chrovn and Shell's site... they actually talk about stoerage of their unleaded fuel and how you should do so.  They don't recommend the stablizer because it reacts with the extra chemicals/additives  they put into their fuel.  In general... regular unleaded gas can be stored without stabizer for a period of up to one year without issue, if stored correctly in a correct container and in a right temp-control area.

I can't said the same for  other brands... but I have had 100 oct fuel in air-tight cans (it comes vaccum sealed) in storage for about  +2 years, use it without issues.  I know for a fact that the fuel has no additives or stablizer... bad for racing engines.  But of course you're talking about gas you are going to buy at the pump and not racing fuel in a can.  

Just remember that their are four given issues with storage of unleaded fuel (or any fuel for that matter):

Evaporation, Oxidation (Gum Formation), Microbial Activity & Contamination

If your can is not air-tight, evaporation and contamination is your biggest issue.  Also... if your storage area has a lot of temp changes... you's going to promote condesnation and cause Microbial Activity.  And if you start with cheap fuel... you going to get oxidation.  

Another thing to keep in mind... long term storage of unleraded gas seem to kill the oct number a little.  So if you storae 87 oct gas... after one year, you may end up with 85 oct gas that will 'ping' like hell in your  87 oct only engine ~NewbieDave
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Becareful when storing unleaded fuel.  You should research the fuel and who makes it.  If you go to Chrovn and Shell's site... they actually talk about stoerage of their unleaded fuel and how you should do so.  They don't recommend the stablizer because it reacts with the extra chemicals/additives  they put into their fuel.  In general... regular unleaded gas can be stored without stabizer for a period of up to one year without issue, if stored correctly in a correct container and in a right temp-control area.

I can't said the same for  other brands... but I have had 100 oct fuel in air-tight cans (it comes vaccum sealed) in storage for about  +2 years, use it without issues.  I know for a fact that the fuel has no additives or stablizer... bad for racing engines.  But of course you're talking about gas you are going to buy at the pump and not racing fuel in a can.  

Just remember that their are four given issues with storage of unleaded fuel (or any fuel for that matter):

Evaporation, Oxidation (Gum Formation), Microbial Activity & Contamination

If your can is not air-tight, evaporation and contamination is your biggest issue.  Also... if your storage area has a lot of temp changes... you's going to promote condesnation and cause Microbial Activity.  And if you start with cheap fuel... you going to get oxidation.  

Another thing to keep in mind... long term storage of unleraded gas seem to kill the oct number a little.  So if you storae 87 oct gas... after one year, you may end up with 85 oct gas that will 'ping' like hell in your  87 oct only engine

~NewbieDave

Great post!

Fixed my reply
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep it completely away from sunlight also.

Metal cans are also much better than plastic for storage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
What should you do with unleaded that has "gone bad" to where you don't want to put it in a vehicle?

burn it off in an open barrel?
turn it in to county hazwaste disposal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I used gas week before last during hurricane Katrina power outage that I bought for Y2K (1999).  It was treated with Stabil the day it was bought & retreated every 9 months thereafter.  If you fill your tanks to just where they won't overflow during heatup/cooldown cycles to minimize area subject to vaporization and condensation, it will store indefinitely.

I also have diesel from Y2K reserves that nruns fine in my 24KW generator at 94 cents a gallon.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Great questions and answers-right on time for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Why types of storages cans do use?  I'm thinking 5 gallon metal military type storage cans, new if possible?  What else is considered "safe" for a guy with a 3br house and a 2 car garage?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I ahve gas in my generator from 3 years ago that I treated with stabil. I start it ever few months to make sure its ok. Start and runs fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump for more responses :-)

Any comments on best storage containers to use?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
There has been alot of discussion on this subject matter in the Survival Forum.  Check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top