Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 2:23:10 PM EDT
OK ... this is my first experience doing it.  My deck is exactly 1 yr old this month.  Time to apply treatment .... what brand do you use?  Are you happy with it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for a tinted sealant, I have been using Olympic Maximum (www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/tint.htm on my deck and fence since 1999 with good results. It's supposed to last 3 years without fading and it easily does that. I redid it in 2002, but will probably wait until 2006 to do it again because it still looks pretty good.

I think there may be some newer products on the market that are good for longer than 3 years.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]

yeah..  and Thompsons is big in the coastal states
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it's Cabot oil stain.  And put it on with a brush not a roller.  We have had this discussionn here before and Cabot is a winner.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Superdeck natural is what has worked very well for me.  I trialed it against the Penofin that I had been using and it was still beading up water after a year!  I sanded my whole deck and applied Superdeck.  I apply it with a siding foam pad on a handle.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I rub a little Ointment on my, from time to time.  Per doctors instructions
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Oops, sorry, read the post title wrong
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do, DO NOT use Sikkens. I had a job to refinish a deck for a customer of mine. The guy's could not get the old finish off with the stripper I bought. I called Sikkens, "no we do not make a stripper for our own product, it's hard to get off isn't it?  giggle giggle" She actually laughed at me and suggested I take 80 grit sandpaper to this 900 sq ft deck.......yeah right.

After several applications of the most expensive stripper I've ever seen and plenty of scrubbing with a brush between applications finally we got it loose we got 90% of it off the deck.

What's left is sealed with Thompsons premium product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top