Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 2:22:17 PM EDT
Need some help.....  Does anyone know anything like this ?

Anyone able to pull any strings ?  Looks like I'm moving to AZ for a little while...

If you've read this thread ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=389288&page=1 , or this one in Team, ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=388638  You'll know why.....

It's going to be really expensive to do this, and I only have the bit of money people here have been so generous and sent to help, but it's not enough to get there, much less pay for gas, food, etc along the way.

If anyone has any connections, or knows any way a cheaper solution could be had, I would really REALLY appreciate any thoughts....

Richardh247 has offered me a place to stay for a little while, till I can get my medical issues in check and try to get back on my feet again.....  The man is beyond generous and truly a godsend.

So far renting a truck one-way looks REALLY expensive and any ideas you all might have would be pretty helpful.

Thanks,

John
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Anyone ?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry.  But I can offer you a room in Omaha if you need it on the way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]

What about an "Arfcom Relay Convoy"?  

Maybe convoy isn't the word.  What I'm thinking is, there are a lot of very good-hearted people on this site who might step up to help someone in need.  Obviously many already have.  A trailer is much cheaper to rent than a truck...is there any way you can afford a trailer?  

If you can afford a trailer, grab a map and start figuring out routes.  Perhaps some kind Arfcommer with a good truck would take you a couple of hundred miles, hand off to the next Arfcommer, and so on down the line until you get to Arizona.

My Neon has a trailer hitch, but the kind of trailer we're talking about would send the nose of my Neon up in to the air.  It's front wheel drive, that won't work too well.  :)  But perhaps something might come of the idea anyway.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry.  But I can offer you a room in Omaha if you need it on the way.

Thanks....  Be nice to have a place to rest or even a little company for a bit, along the way....

Sure looks like a long drive....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What about an "Arfcom Relay Convoy"?  

Maybe convoy isn't the word.  What I'm thinking is, there are a lot of very good-hearted people on this site who might step up to help someone in need.  Obviously many already have.  A trailer is much cheaper to rent than a truck...is there any way you can afford a trailer?  

If you can afford a trailer, grab a map and start figuring out routes.  Perhaps some kind Arfcommer with a good truck would take you a couple of hundred miles, hand off to the next Arfcommer, and so on down the line until you get to Arizona.

My Neon has a trailer hitch, but the kind of trailer we're talking about would send the nose of my Neon up in to the air.  It's front wheel drive, that won't work too well.  :)  But perhaps something might come of the idea anyway.

Jim

Not sure how well that'd work...... I have a fair amount of stuff.  It'd be hard with a trailer, plus I need to trail my own car anyways.  And it can't pull much, so that's not an option....  It's croak undoubtedly, with the bad motor mount, almost gone rear brakes and other crappy little things that need fixed.....  Not a good tow vehicle at all..

I truck seems the only realistic option, unfortunately.  I can drive it, just need to find one that's affordable somehow.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a good time for a yard sale.

I'm in Evansville IN if you need a place to crash on the way. Right south of I-64 about 20 miles.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
There are strict requirements in order to enter Arizona.

We'll waive most of those requirements... however, you still have to kick out a liberal once you get here.

If you need any help moving stuff around when you get here lemme know!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any ideas. I just know it cost me over $3500 to rent a Uhaul with trailer to go one-way from Kentucky to Washington. Hope you can find a better deal than I did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
JB69, this may be time to really only take the essentials and some sentimental stuff. Once you get set up in Phoenix you can replace furniture and what not.

I know......  Just the things I have, I worked hard for.  There's just no time, or even a place for a yard sale.  My landlord hates me as is.  

I've already just thrown out some stuff....  I'd really like to hold onto whatever I can, that's left when I'm done ditching things here.  I really don't know how long I'll be out of work, with the health problems, so it might be a very long time before I can afford to replace some of it....

I'm trying to pare it down though.  It's just hard when my body doesn't want to do what my brain thinks it should be able to.  Packing has been pretty rough.

The whole thing is such a fucking mess..... I'm so sick of it all.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are strict requirements in order to enter Arizona.

We'll waive most of those requirements... however, you still have to kick out a liberal once you get here.

If you need any help moving stuff around when you get here lemme know!

Thanks..... Sure appreciate the offer.  Could use all the help I can get.  Makes me sick that I can't do so many things now, that I never even gave a second thought to before.....

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Only discount I know, is AAA gets you 10% off Penske rentals. At least they did when I moved.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Just checked Ebay, they have 10% off coupons for budget truck rentals. Buy it now for 1.99.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
BTT

I am the one who organized JB's move, so I am responsible for the truck.  In the member area, another poster found a moving service we can secure for about 2k, which is 1/2 the UHaul costs and gas that goes with it.  But it won't take care of his car, which ain't going to make it this far.  

So please people, any help, any ideas, anything...  Read the threads he linked, and let's see what we can do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
After years of U-hauls, I found a new service!

ABF U-Pack

ABF freightlines brings a 28 ft Pup trailer to your home, with a ramp.  You (U) pack it, and seal the end of the trailer when finished.

They drive it to your new home, and drop the trailer, You unload it, call them and they pick up the empty.  (moves from the east coast to western states may be more expensive, but it all depends as the price drops where they move more freight on a regular basis)

I used 35 ft of trailer space, (1 28ft pup and 7ft of a 2nd one) they charge in 7ft increments.  THEY DON'T CHARGE BY WEIGHT ONLY BY SPACE!  

I loaded all my guns and ammo on it and the don't ask, don't tell worked fine for both ABF and me.

I moved from Nashville TN to New Hampshire for $2800.  My only extra expense was renting pads from U-Haul, and extra beer for the unloading crew.  

Miles, Gas, and all the rest was covered in the one charge. (I own my own dolly)

Just make sure that the terminal at your arriving end reserves a ramp for you.

Here's a link.  www.upack.com/

Andy

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
After years of U-hauls, I found a new service!

ABF U-Pack

ABF freightlines brings a 28 ft Pup trailer to your home, with a ramp.  You (U) pack it, and seal the end of the trailer when finished.

They drive it to your new home, and drop the trailer, You unload it, call them and they pick up the empty.  (moves from the east coast to western states may be more expensive, but it all depends as the price drops where they move more freight on a regular basis)

I used 35 ft of trailer space, (1 28ft pup and 7ft of a 2nd one) they charge in 7ft increments.  THEY DON'T CHARGE BY WEIGHT ONLY BY SPACE!  

I loaded all my guns and ammo on it and the don't ask, don't tell worked fine for both ABF and me.

I moved from Nashville TN to New Hampshire for $2800.  My only extra expense was renting pads from U-Haul, and extra beer for the unloading crew.  

Miles, Gas, and all the rest was covered in the one charge. (I own my own dolly)

Just make sure that the terminal at your arriving end reserves a ramp for you.

Here's a link.  www.upack.com/

Andy

That's what the member I mentioned found, and it seems to be our best option for now.  Keep the ideas flowing, folks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've seen alot of these in Vegas but don't know if they move anywhere but in the city or if they do nationwide moves.

www.pods.com/

Looked on the site......

$5800.00    I could BUY a damn truck for that.....  friggen nuts
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Bumped for the daylight folks, in case they have any ideas.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
BTT

Thanks bud...  I'd hoped maybe someone here worked for a rental place, or knew someone who did....

Not looking so good though...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top