Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 9:48:00 AM EDT
I have a plug in meter that reads volts and line frequency. It also allows the plug in of a device and reads out the watts and voltamps of the device. What's the difference between watts and voltamps. I get a different reading.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
For a purely resistive load, the two (W & VA) will be equal.

For reactive loads (capacitive or inductive), current is not in phase with voltage and you will get different readings.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
So when determining how much capacity I need for an inverter or gas generator, should I go with the higher number to be safe?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Amps is a scalar quantity.  The apparent power used by any inductive-capacitive-resistive load is a combination of the actual power (current in phase with the voltage) and the reactive power (current at 90º to the voltage).  This is a vector equation.  Think of it as a right triangle, with the actual power being the long leg, the reactive power being the short leg, and the apparent power being the hypotenuse.  You have to size all of your equipment for the apparent power, because even if it's not all doing work, that amperage is flowing through your hardware.

So when determining how much capacity I need for an inverter or gas generator, should I go with the higher number to be safe?
Short answer:  YES.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
This isn't a good way of doing the math. But I find it works close enough for up 3000VA when I am calculating capacity needs for UPSes (battery backup).

The wattage rating is roughly 2/3 the volt-amp rating on the UPS. When dealing with computers and UPSes this works well enough.

Heres a link on the subject that won't help much:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt-amp

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You shure u don't want a frequancy generatur?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I do

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

25 hZ d.c.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top