Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
It does that for a reason...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow.  gold star for you
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Lets hope the NRA can put a stop to this in the future.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why would they want to stop it??

It's a good fundraiser..........
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do admit they realize they are walking a tightrope with this. They know they have    to do something about it (or they'll piss off half their membership), but on the other hand, they must be licking their chops with this new material they can use in an advertising campaign.

They better accomplish something positive as a result of that travesty.

And so the game goes....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#7]
'It ain't going down the memory hole' tag.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do admit they realize they are walking a tightrope with this. They know they have    to do something about it (or they'll piss off half their membership), but on the other hand, they must be licking their chops with this new material they can use in an advertising campaign.

They better accomplish something positive as a result of that travesty.

And so the game goes....

They are certainly doing more about it then any one else at the moment. Most groups have just issued statements, NRA and SAF are on the ground now, trying to dig out the details and help those infirnged get their rights and private property back. I'd say that's pretty good bang for my buck. I was critical initially, but I am not going to criticize the way they run the organization anymore until I can do better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Any updates on the lawyer (O'Dwyer?) in NO who was going to stand his ground? And any interviews with the homeowners who were cuffed in their own front yard and did the little old lady who got the bum's rush ever surface anywhere? Has her house been looted yet, now that she has been kicked out of her own home?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]

This in my inbox this morning:

NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 12, No. 37 9/16/05

NRA ON THE GROUND IN LOUISIANA

As was reported last week, in the wake of unspeakable crimes perpetrated by roving, armed gangs and individuals, authorities in New Orleans seized legal firearms from lawful residents, effectively disarming the very citizenry they are sworn to protect.

On Monday, NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, and NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox slammed New Orleans authorities for this incredible action.

"What we've seen in Louisiana--the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster--is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.  "For state, local, or federal government to disarm these good people in their own homes using the threat of imminent deadly force, is unthinkable."

"The NRA will not stand by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who're trying to defend themselves," Cox said.  "We're exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans."

To that end, NRA has put professional investigators to work on the ground in New Orleans and surrounding areas.  News stories and members' detailed accounts have been followed up on, but we need more information.  Some of our best leads have come from rank and file law enforcement, but we need to hear from all directly affected citizens.

If you have personally had a gun confiscated in Louisiana since Hurricane Katrina hit, please call (888) 414-6333.  Be prepared to leave only your name and immediate contact information so we can get back to you.  Once again, we are seeking contact information from actual victims of gun confiscation in Louisiana only.

For additional information, please visit www.NRAILA.org, or e-mail us at [email protected].

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any updates on the lawyer (O'Dwyer?) in NO who was going to stand his ground? And any interviews with the homeowners who were cuffed in their own front yard and did the little old lady who got the bum's rush ever surface anywhere? Has her house been looted yet, now that she has been kicked out of her own home?

I was wondering that as well.  I've heard no updates.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Nope. I'd like to contact the guy (O'Dwyer) personally and let hime know there are people who supported his stance. I wonder if is he is receiving email. I saw his web site was up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...and did the little old lady who got the bum's rush ever surface anywhere?

She was hobbling as they 'led' her from her home.

Wonder what her injuries were.  Hope she's OK.

Damn that video pissed me off...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...and did the little old lady who got the bum's rush ever surface anywhere?

She was hobbling as they 'led' her from her home.

Wonder what her injuries were.  Hope she's OK.

Damn that video pissed me off...

She was probably taken to the convention center, raped and murdered by young african american males!  "GOD I HOPE NOT"  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not surprised it that long for the NRA's legal staff to react. I don't think they seriously expected a move like that in the wake of such lawlessness (remember no such confiscations took place after the hurricanes in FL), and it took a while for them to fire up, weigh the options, and get moving on it with actual legal actions, instead of just screaming on the Internet.

I'm keeping my membership. Well, it's a lifetime one anyway...

(Yea, I know I posted this in the 'Quit the NRA' thread, but I also wanted to tag this one.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#17]
About time they do something.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
(remember no such confiscations took place after the hurricanes in FL),

That would not happen as long as:

1) Jeb is Governor
2) we outgun the LEOs... and they know it

Florida, except for that foreign territory known as Miami, is a whole different state.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think an apology from some of the NRA bashers would be nice.

Never back down, retreat or apologize.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Listen guys, if any of you bashing the NRA hasn't
1) Written your reps,
2) Called Gov. Blanco's office
3) Called local radio
4) Spred the word to at least one other board

Then go out and DO all that before you get back and criticise!  Don't you guys get it?!  Your very freedom is under attack....don't waste your time with anything but dragging those that took it up into the light and holding them accountable.

I'm reposting the following from the old thread, BTW, because I wanted people to see the info about writing their reps:
I've got some heartening news, people! I've got a trusted source with an out-of-state LE agency operating in NO specifically stating that he and his fellow officers declined to participate in firearms confiscation. This is the first confirmed source I have acknowledgeing that some officers or soldiers are refraining from confiscating arms. We all suspected it was true, but now I know. I wish I could confirm it for all of you, but obviously these folks need to remain anonymous for their political and operational survival.

Take heart, we DO have friends out there in blue and camo, who ARE looking out for our rights. Its a sad state that they have to do it clandestinely, but I'll take a secret ally over an obvious enemy anyday!

Thanks for that bold red statement DR_. I'm going to post it on www.floridashootersnetwork.com. A "refugee camp" (sure sounds UGLY doesn't it?) has just been set up in Orlando. Everyone would do well to diseminate stuff like this to your local gun boards.

In order to hold the government agencies and officers who have violated the law accountable we NEED to make contact with the victim. In a political sense, we need "poster children" to rally around. Even though this crime hurts us all, the way our court system operates, one must have standing to file suit.

Also, if your representative mailed you back a form letter, a second letter is in order. State the following:
1) You sent me a form letter which didn't even remotely address my concern!
2) I understand you're busy. Congress is a tough job.
3) I would appreciate your acknowledgement of my specific concern. Please respond to me personally if possible.

REMEMBER:  REQUEST THAT YOUR REP ADDRESS YOUR SPECIFIC ISSUE.   ASK FOR A PERSONAL RESPONSE.

Better to include some pictures and citations this time. I may cross post something about that in another thread.

Don't let'em off the hook!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Never forget - we'll be seeing more of this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know of anyone who stood their ground in NO ? - Did anyone shoot ?

Was anyone killed by by the police/NG ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Let'em fuckin try to take my hoard
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They were killed by floodwaters.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There was at least one guy (group?) that shot it out with the police.  

In the end, noone got shot, and they arrested the guy without incident.

Video Linky

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry wrong link:

media.putfile.com/simonkatrinaneworleansforcedevacuationsc

About 1 minute in.

Sounds like no shots were fired though.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally!  I'm sending this to all the major gun rights groups working on the NO confiscation problem for their suggestions and their use.   If you guys want to distribute it, please do!!!  Just don't hot-link it from my site, if there are bandwidth issues:

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#30]
In response to some questions to whether or not a shootout has occurred...not to my knowledge.  I have a very good friend that works for a PD just north of lake Ponchatrain.  He says that nothing has been said about an actual shootout.  He also said that he is absolutely infuriated by the entire situation and would disobey direct orders to protect the rights of those citizens.

Just my .02

Brian
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#31]

I want to see them try this shit in Texas...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#32]
As much as I'll admit that anyone who tries to confiscate guns in Texas is REALLY asking for lead poisoning, I DON'T want to see them try it.  Our rights are under assault, and disasters just give our oppressors more opportunity to replace our free civilization with their tyrannic one.

Someone asked whether or not one would be within their rights to engage US troops or law enforcement officers illegally robbing them of their property under colour of law.   The only way to find out for sure is to be victimized, engage the enemy, somehow SURVIVE the encounter and escape, be subsequently captured, and THEN be tried for murder.

If anyone wants to go through all that, I can probably get a few million for your book rights.   On the best of days, I think you'd be convicted of manslaughter.  Just wait until the widows get on the witness stand and start waving the flag.  Wait until they show on CNN that flag adorning the coffins of the men who desecrated its ideals.  We wouldn't stand a chance of getting justice after a violent engagement.  The only thing such a confrontation could possibly contribute positively would be 1) Conviction in supporting ones ideals and 2) Making criminals in uniform think twice.  

But if you engage a criminal in uniform, your life is over even if you survive (which is REALLY unlikely!)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#33]
FGJ,

Of course the MSM will pull their normal BS.

But you know, I just may have to disagree with you.  I'm just making an assumption here, as we both are.  

Well, I agree the holdout/shooter will probably die.

But if he lives, I'm just not convinced the public outcry will rally around the deceased folk(s) who tried to illegally confiscate weapons.

This issue is big, REAL big.

Then again, maybe not.  But I don't think it's a done deal that can be accurately predicted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Well this will shut me up for a while. The NRA needs to begin getting more vocal and on the scene everywhere, everday, not just when this type of event unfolds.

You can bet our enemies are everywhere, everyday, and they are right here among us too. The old wolf (not the ammo VA-gunnut!) in the sheep clothing strategy has served them well throughout history. If it works, why change it?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#35]
From the NRA:

NRA Files Suit To Stop Firearm Seizures In New Orleans

Help support NRA's efforts in New Orleans. Click here to make a contribution.

(Fairfax, VA) - Today, the National Rifle Association (NRA) filed a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana seeking a temporary restraining order to block authorities from confiscating law-abiding citizens' firearms in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"New Orleans is the first city in the United States to forcibly disarm peaceable law-abiding citizens and it must be the last.  Victims are dealing with a complete breakdown of government.  At a time when 911 is non-operational and law enforcement cannot respond immediately to calls for help, people have only the Second Amendment to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property," said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

"The NRA stands with law-abiding Americans, who agree that at their most vulnerable moment, their right to defend themselves and their families should not be taken away," said Chris W. Cox, NRA's chief lobbyist.

According to The New York Times, the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."  ABC News quoted New Orleans' deputy police chief, saying, "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."

"The NRA is determined to stop this blatant abuse of power by local politicians.  It is disgraceful that any government official would further endanger the lives of innocent victims by issuing this ridiculous order.  We are very grateful to the many rank and file police officers who have come forward and assisted NRA in exposing these violations of constitutional freedoms.  We are also pleased that the Second Amendment Foundation is joining us in this effort," added Cox.

"The actions of the New Orleans government have destroyed the one levee that stands between law-abiding citizens and anarchy - the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.  The NRA will not rest until this injustice is resolved," concluded LaPierre.    

--nra--

Sounds like LaPierre is pissed.  Good.    Someone posted that they had not only written Congress, but the DOJ as well.  THat's important.  There's only so much Congress can do, but what we really need is to PROSECUTE those who violated the law.  Only when that has been done successfully can we count ourselves victorious.

In addition to my own reps, I'll be faxing the whole "DR_ picture book" to AG Gonzales, and maybe the LA state legislature.  Also, faxing some of the more pro-gun reps like Musgrave, Sensenbrenner and Ron Paul might be productive.  I'm sure Paul has more on his mind right now with Rita,but he's a stand-up guy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
FGJ-

"...I'll be faxing the whole "DR_ picture book" to AG Gonzales..."

Funny you mentioned Gonzales, he had his FBI JBT's in the NOLA area also dealing with "hotspots." Whatever those were/are?  

I'd be very interested in the details of what they did.  It might take some FOIA paperwork though.

ETA:FBI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top