Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 10:08:39 PM EDT
So you got a winter coat on. What's the best way to carry and have easy access to your gun if you need it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Strongside belt holster
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Strongside belt holster

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
even with a parka below the waist?
I was thinking a cross draw belt holster might work
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How is that gonna be any easier to get to? You will still have to get under the parka to get to it. If you are that concerned,  just leave your parka unzipped.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
lifting up you fight the jacket but with crossdraw there is less of a fight?
I'm just asking since this will be my first winter with a concealed weapon
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
A shoulder holster usually , since I rarely
zipper my jacket up to my neck . If at all .

Not to mention the Kahr K9 in my jacket pocket
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get Lumpy to build you an sliding arm holster out of some drawer parts...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
parka unzipped and gun tucked in front of pants
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just get Lumpy to build you an sliding arm holster out of some drawer parts...

Nah, when he lived in Michigan most of his life, he carried one on the belt and one in a shoulder holster
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thats what I do... I have a DeSantis "SkyOps" cross-draw holster. Its SUPER slic! I place it at 11 O'Clock and I dont zip my jacket up.

Then again I open carry all the time. I love VA!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
lifting up you fight the jacket but with crossdraw there is less of a fight?
I'm just asking since this will be my first winter with a concealed weapon

Keep the front unzipped and sweep the coat open.  If it is very cold you will have an undershirt (polypropylene) and a wool sweater on top with the parka/coat as the last layer.You rarely have to keep your jacket zipped up unless you're just standing there in extremely cold weather (?ice fishing).  A crossdraw is great if you are traveling in a car, but I practice (gun unloaded) drawing from a seated position and as long as you keep your coat behind you it is no problem drawing from your dominant side.  But you have to practice.  I love carrying in spring, fall and winter as it is childs play keeping the gun concealed.  Summer can be more of a challenge.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I just leave my coat unzipped. Or wear a shoulder rig. It gets cold in MI, but not all that cold.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Move to Florida.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
My solution is a strong side holster and a winter coat with snaps (in addition to the zipper that I never use).  The weak hand rips the coat open while the strong hand goes for the CCW.

I’ve often thought of opening the strong side coat pocket up to give direct access to my CCW, but that appears to be too iffy for a fast, reliable presentation.

Anyway, be careful about varying where you pack your CCW – in a high-stress situation you may forget where it’s at (happened to a co-worker of mine! ).
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My winter concealment issues are solved by wearing a light button up shirt over a t-shirt.

Summer concealment issues are the problem here. Lumpy just hides his in his mohawk.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't know. I'm in Florida.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#17]
On some jackets I slit the inside of the pockets so I can reach through to my pistol.

Or if the pockets are large, simply drop it in the large outside pocket.  And it is not unusual to see a person, in cold weather, walking around with his hands in his pockets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
On some jackets I slit the inside of the pockets so I can reach through to my pistol.

Or if the pockets are large, simply drop it in the large outside pocket.  And it is not unusual to see a person, in cold weather, walking around with his hands in his pockets.

I have considered taking a small nylon holster and stitching it into a heavy coat's pocket or installing a snap in the coat and the holster. and snapping the muzzle end of the holster into the corner of the pocket.  Just a theory, I never tried it.  I was planning this around a mk40 kahr.  The part that sucks is.  Are you going to leave your jacket on where your going?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoulder rig for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I sometimes use a cross draw positioned OWB holster if I know I won't be having to take the jacket off. don't zip up quite all the way to your neck and it seems to be faster to unzip with the left hand and reach in with the right and draw
shoulder holster would work the same way
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep it in a side handwarmer pocket, that way when you're walking around, you can have the gun in your hand ready to pull out and whack someone who needs it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top