Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 8:41:09 PM EDT
I have a 2004 Silverado worktruck that originally had a basic AM/FM radio. I just bought a GM factory MP3 player off Ebay. It came out of a 2005 Colorado.

I installed the new radio just fine, but when I power it up, it says "LOCKED".  I have what I believe is the unlock code from the seller, but I'm not sure how I enter the code.

Can anybody help?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same thing happen in my old Firebird. After calling the dealership, I remember that I had to push some of the face keys in a certain sequence in order to unlock it. Good luck...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4604

had the same problem.. just search for "delco radio unlock" with yahoo and its amazing what you find.

basically you hold some buttons down that pulls a number out.. then call delco automated number line, enter a dealer number, it spits out an unlock number.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well it looks like  I will be going to the dealer to get the code reset.  By following the link you gave me, I found out some good info on these radios. Apparently they are linked to the VIN of the vehicle they are installed to. The dealer has to hook up a "Tech 2 Scanner" to the computer and use it to reprogram the radio to match the VIN.

Oh well.... hope they don't charge too much !

Thanks for the help !

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
when you guys gonna stop buying stolen property on Egay
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well it looks like  I will be going to the dealer to get the code reset.  By following the link you gave me, I found out some good info on these radios. Apparently they are linked to the VIN of the vehicle they are installed to. The dealer has to hook up a "Tech 2 Scanner" to the computer and use it to reprogram the radio to match the VIN.

Oh well.... hope they don't charge too much !

Thanks for the help !

ahh i see.. the newer ones arent as easy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sweet, that means the dealership will be able to track the old VIN and your VIN together, so if that radio was stolen they can find the person who has it.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't you need a frequancy genarator for that?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Should have just bought one from the store.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't you need a frequancy genarator for that?

What's the frequency Kenneth?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Should have just bought one from the store.

Apparently so.  

I just left the dealer and they could not re-program the radio. Since it's tied to the VIN, it knows what kind of vehicle it's in. The Silverado doesn't have this particular model as an option, so when they tried to unlock it, it said it wasn't compatible. The radio can apparently only be used with VIN's that originally had that unit, in this case Cavaliers and Colorados. They even tried to program it with a generic program, but it wouldn't accept that either.  

They told me that an audio shop might be able to install a "rogue program" that would make it work, but GM has nothing that will do it. Since they are a GM dealer they are bound to play by GM's rules.

So does anybody know of an audio shop in the Phoenix area that can unlock a Colorado MP3 player for use in a Silverado ?      
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]
can you get a refund from the guy that sold it to you?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#13]
You know what sucks about this? GM probably did this to discourage theft. I'm willing to bet your average theif has no clue, and will steal the radio anyway. In fact, I bet after discovering this security measure, the dumb theif will probably continue to steal the same radioss out of the same vehicles.

The deck in my Dodge cost me $120 (installed, even!) and it plays mp3's. Less headache.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#14]
not compatible and you'll find the aftermarket shop to be of no help in doing some majic to that factory radio swap, ain't got the tools or the time. after all that hassle, you could have just bought an aftermarket radio of your choice, dash kit and the databus interface. You'd also need the GM antenna adapter. hope you can get your money back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top