Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:48:05 PM EDT
Came across some older CBs and wanted to go ahead and put it in my truck. I figure it will keep me awake on trips and I can get a good traffic report and location of cops with it.

I got a Realistic TRC-415
Radioshack TRC-485
and a Midland 77-895

The first one is small and would probably be the one to go with but wondered about the Midland. Are they any good? It has other features the other two dont have.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one years ago, and I mean years ago. It was okay but lets face it its CB right? unless you find the amplifiers and other once and probably still illegal stuff like that there might not be all that much to listen to. I don't know if truckers still use them all that much since I haven't used one in years but in some areas you might not find all that much traffic. I had a realistic that I liked and it was good for listening to on the road. The most important part is to make sure that your antenna is properly matched to your radio or what you will get is the ability to hear but a diminished ability to transmit at full potential.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're just monitoring channel 19, just get a handheld one at Radio Shack, what I did.  Only use it for interstate trips.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Midland is one of the current "best" brands.  I believe that they have been so for a long time.  Some of the older CB's are actually better CB's since they were designed to have their output watttage "tweaked" to a higher level.  Many of them have been tweaked.

I highly recommend that you install one of these CB's in your "ride".  99% of the conversation is from truckers and much of it is full of foul language, but if you are traveling on the interstate between cities, then it can be invaulable.  You'll know where every speed trap is, 40 miles ahead of yourself, unlike with a radar detector.  Working in unison with a radar detector, I'd find it hard to get a ticket for speeding on an interstate highway.  One ticket saved will pay for the radio installation.

Firestik.com has some good information about installation.  Make sure that you purchase a SWR meter and cable, to properly tune your CB (this is mandatory).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top