Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 7:44:04 PM EDT
In before the "you can't bring fire on a plane" crowd

Seriously, are matches or a lighter ok for your checked luggage?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
matches yes lighters no.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Book matches you can bring, that's it unless you buy a special unfilled/unused Zippo (that is, until 4 weeks ago...)

The TSA keeps their banned list pretty well updated on their site..
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like you should be able to grab a free lighter that was confiscated at the security gate by other passengers on your way out to make up for the ones you had to leave behind, kind of a "Need a penny, take a penny, have a penny, leave a penny" type thing they have at convenience stores
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Neither.  Security sucks, and I don't smoke.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to their website, you can take 4 books of non strike anywhere matches as a carry on, but not in checked.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I went to their website, you can take 4 books of non strike anywhere matches as a carry on, but not in checked.

That sounds about correct...it's not like you can smoke in an acft or in an airport...leave the good lighters at home and buy cheap stuff for the trip.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
matches yes lighters no.

Check your regs. TSA website specifically states that refillable type lighters (Zippos) are authorized, provided they have never been filled. So, if you have a brand-new-in-the-box zippo, and a current copy of the TSA reg in hand, then you should be ok with a lighter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was carry on that you couldn't have the lighters. I checked through my butane lighters in my bags on both legs of my recent flight with no problems
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
"You can't bring fire on a plane!"

Somebody had to say it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top