Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 4:18:22 PM EDT
Dumb question I know.
We have a gas fireplace, which I havent even bothered to buy the gas logs for yet. I'd like to just use wood.
Can I burn wood in a gas fireplace without any problems?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
is the fireplace vented?
as in a chimmney.

is the gas line ran to fireplace?
if so is gas shut off at the tank or outside meter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Gas fireplaces have no chimney. Like a gas stove, they do not have to vent to the outside. Burning wood in one will only fill your room with smoke.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Some you can and some you can't. Some are made like a Franklin stove just with an open firebox. They are steel inserts, with a heat tile lineing and vented up a chimney through stove pipe. They usually have gas logs installed but are rated for either gas logs or wood. However, they are a pain in the ass to burn wood in and I would not do it.

The other type is gas log only and is often just vented out the side of the house.

My old man was a mason for over 50 years. I helped him build many fire places. Masonary is the only way to go. There's just something special about the smell of a wood burning fireplace. No matter how hard they try, you just can't replicate the warmth and glow of burning hardwood.

Too bad masons have priced themselves out of the market.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Sorry...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top