Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
Oh, boy...

On the heels of a report earlier this week that Atlanta area Katrina victims were using $2,000 debit cards to purchase luxury items like Louis Vuitton handbags, Houston police yesterday discovered the cards, provided by FEMA and the Red Cross, being used at local strip clubs.

The Houston Police Department just formed a task force to investigate the abuse of the cards, which were distributed to thousands of Katrina hurricane victims to provide for necessities, such as food, clothing and toiletries. On the first day, the police found the cards being used to buy beer while ogling exotic dancers.

According to a report by KPRC, Channel 2, in Houston, a manager at Caligula XXI Gentlemen's Club said he has seen at least one debit card used at his club. A bartender at Baby Dolls, identified only as "Abby," said she has seen many of the cards used at her establishment.

"A lot of customers have been coming in from Louisiana and they've been real happy about the $1.75 beers and they're really nice," she said.

She couldn't say for sure whether the cards she has seen were from the Red Cross or from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, but she found no fault in using federal dollars to guzzle beer at a strip club.

"You lost your whole house, then, why not?" she said "You might want some beer in a strip club. There are a lot of guys out there that like to do that."

The wife of the manager of another strip club told KPRC that her husband has seen patrons from Louisiana offering Red Cross and FEMA debit cards, but she declined to reveal the club's name.

The FEMA and Red Cross cards have few restrictions, but some evacuees have gotten into trouble when they tried to get additional cards.

Meanwhile, Houston police are going undercover as evacuees to keep their eyes on those who get in line more than once.

"There may be some individuals who use some false identifications or providing false information on the forms, so we're targeting those persons also," said Lt. Robert Manzo.

Officers handed out a warning that falsifying government documents could result in a 20-year prison sentence.

Earlier this week, the New York Daily News reported that "profiteering ghouls" were using the debit cards in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

Restrictions on the cards say they can't be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or firearms.

The clerk at the Louis Vuitton store said: "There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately – other than morally, it's wrong." The unnamed employee told the Daily News two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

Meanwhile, in Memphis, Tenn., residents told News Channel 3 they saw Hurricane Katrina survivors purchase designer jeans, high heels and purses with their $2,000 emergency debit cards. According to the report, one Katrina victim was spotted at a Cordova clothier buying stacks of $65 designer jeans. Another viewer reported spotting a survivor buying "over $700 in high heel shoes and purses" at a Memphis department store "while (her) younger children, most of them looked under the age of 3, looked like they haven't showered in weeks."

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The dupe police have been called and are on their way.  Please prepare yourself to be duped.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuckn' A!!

Hookers & Blow!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Nancy Dupelosi
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If they have anything left after the hookers and blow, they'll probably just waste it.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You can take a person out of the ghetto....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they have anything left after the hookers and blow, they'll probably just waste it.

Well, if I were single, and I survived a hurricane like Katrina and the government handed me some money....

I might do the same.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
How many tids do you think they saw?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

somewhere between ted n' fiddy
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I expected no more out of them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

somewhere between ted n' fiddy

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
It was funny.  When these debit cards were issued, DU started bitching "Why not cash?  Don't they trust the evacuees?  Why do they assume they'll spend any aid money on booze and crack?"

So naive, these liberals.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

According to a report by KPRC, Channel 2, in Houston, a manager at Caligula XXI Gentlemen's Club said he has seen at least one debit card used at his club. A bartender at Baby Dolls, identified only as "Abby," said she has seen many of the cards used at her establishment.

"A lot of customers have been coming in from Louisiana and they've been real happy about the $1.75 beers and they're really nice," she said.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
What are tiddies?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies

DAMN YOU!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
No shit!?    What did anyone expect from these people?  Did anyone REALLY think that these debit cards were actually only going to be used for food, water, needed clothing, and medicines?    Hell, it's just another Gov't handout to them and they'll be crying for more when their $2,000 is blown.

I am really starting to not feel sorry for some of these people.  Leaches have no place in today's society except as a cause for liberals.    Why don't they start bussing them back to N.O. so they can help with the cleanup?  Oh wait, who are we to expect them to work for money?  Just more of our tax money being pissed away.  Fuckers!      
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies

DAMN YOU!!!!  

you saying you wouldn't hit that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck em.  Every last one of them.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Surely those Debit Cards were stolen from their
proper owners, then used by the thieves on
such frivolity....  NOT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Fuckn' A!!

Hookers & Blow!!  

And guns! Don't forget the guns!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Rodger copy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the Tiddies, now I have to FEEL for my EYES, I think they rolled under the bed somewhere
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
What does anyone expect?

Read about "found money" vs. "earned money."  Economics 101 here.  

Free money, like 50 bucks you find in a bar, folks tend to spend frivolously.  A tightwad here would tend to spend the 50 bucks on a round for the table.

A little noted effect of Carter era welfare reform was giving out free foodstamps.  Previously, you had to send in say, 50 dollars to get 100 dollars in stamps, netting 50 bucks.  WHen they changed the rules to give the dolees 50 bucks without any of their hard earned money buying those stamps, you started seeing news stories like this one.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rodger copy.

And a week from now, that debit card will be used up, and they'll fucking sign up for some other Government program that will leech more of my paycheck.

Once again, fuck em, every last subhuman worthless piece of shit one of them.  Go rot.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies

DAMN YOU!!!!  

Yeah with the grill of a cement mixing truck at about 90 miles an hour.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies

DAMN YOU!!!!  

Um...not the picture I saw.  Not sure what you saw though.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#27]
If I had one of those cards, I'd be sorely tempted to purchase a SA SOCOM 16, a dozen mags, and ammo.  But that's just me...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#28]
1: Buy $800 purse
2: Trade to dealer for $200 worth of drugs.
3: Get high
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies

DAMN YOU!!!!  

Um...not the picture I saw.  Not sure what you saw though.  

You passed the test.  I just seeing if you were ... you know.....

But you're cool with me.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Fuckn' A!!

Hookers & Blow!!  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Frauds, everyone of them. These kind of folk I know all to well.
Worked with em and lived with em.
Stick it to whitey every chance you get...Animals.
Let them starve, you had your handout
but you squandered it. Fook em' all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Naw, Bush is gonna make "homeowners", out of 'em, instead.....

Typical liberal solution, when approval ratings are low.

Throw cash.                      
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naw, Bush is gonna make "homeowners", out of 'em, instead.....

Typical liberal solution, when approval ratings are low.

Throw cash.                      

+1 and now they are talking about making NO a huge social program with no discrimination , sure and we have not seen anything yet, this is going to cost 4 or 5 times what they are estimating..
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Restrictions on the cards say they can't be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or firearms.

Sure, all the fun stuff.
What the hell good is that thing for anyway? I suppose they want you to fritter it away on food and rent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Evacuee's debit cards being used in tiddie bars!

And sheeple are shocked over this? I'm not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#37]
pics
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#38]
You whiners need to STFU and get on the phone to the Red Cross.   Donate some more of your hard earned money so they can get some more cards out.  When you are done doing that, you can get your ass back to work and start generating some taxes so FEMA can get some debit cards out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You whiners need to STFU and get on the phone to the Red Cross.   Donate some more of your hard earned money so they can get some more cards out.  When you are done doing that, you can get your ass back to work and start generating some taxes so FEMA can get some debit cards out.

Drinking and posting is bad for you!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I guess we will be leaving it up to the bartenders to provide oversight in the spending of my tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll second the hookers and blow - and it is all on  the feds dime! hatOUR TAX MONEY!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Surprised by a  government program being abused?

The abuses of the foodstamp program have been well documented. Why would anyone expect the FemaCard program not to be abused?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are tiddies?

Tiddies

DAMN YOU!!!!  

Yeah with the grill of a cement mixing truck at about 90 miles an hour.

Be careful; You might damage the truck beyond repair.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#44]
a good buddy of mine is a bartender at baby dolls in dallas.  she said that she's seen some cards at the bar, but no one has had the gall to try to use one there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Is it too much to ask that before they just started handing cards out that they start a database of who they were giving cards too?  ID, what's your social?, list the persons in your immediate family, thumbprint on that plate there and sign this form stating that this card can be used only for essentials and that you must pay for any abuse to this card.  If the net is down its no biggy, just link the system later and if people had received more than one card you can lock the extras and send in a collection agency to handle any billing of non-essentials.  I know they don't have much to seize at the moment, but you can garnish wages, insurance money and deny them welfare until the amount they owe is paid back.

Just think, all the swelled heads in the Federal government and all it took to come up with a solution like this is a noncollege educated National Guard E4.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Is it too much to ask that before they just started handing cards out that they start a database of who they were giving cards too?  ID, what's your social?, list the persons in your immediate family, thumbprint on that plate there and sign this form stating that this card can be used only for essentials and that you must pay for any abuse to this card.  If the net is down its no biggy, just link the system later and if people had received more than one card you can lock the extras and send in a collection agency to handle any billing of non-essentials.  I know they don't have much to seize at the moment, but you can garnish wages, insurance money and deny them welfare until the amount they owe is paid back.

Just think, all the swelled heads in the Federal government and all it took to come up with a solution like this is a noncollege educated National Guard E4.

Never work. Too easy AND it makes to much Gosh Darn (edit) sense!
Those folks need a hand up not a handout!  Giving everyone displaced by the storm a $2000 debit card simply salves the psyche of the Federal Govt so FEMA can say they did something.  Without personal responsibility or accountability stories such as these are bound to filter out.  On the other hand does anyone have a story about someone who actually used the card for essentials, kids school supplies, baby formula or some such?  I'm going to church today and pray for those who lost so much. I'll also pray for those who abuse the system as they need it most of all.
OBTW,  I'll be back at work on Monday, doing my job and funding the Federal Budget.  
"Buddy can you spare a dime?"
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#48]
And how is this a surprise??

wganz

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#49]
After the Vegas trips for city cops, hell the sky is the limit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Not surprised they did the same thing with thier welfare checks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top