Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 12:49:23 PM EDT
With the increased cost of natural gas, I was wondering if it is still cheaper to use gas for cooking, heating water, etc.

If it is still cheaper, how much cheaper is it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess nobody knows.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering that myself.   Lots of apartments up here have heaters and stoves that run on electricity, which ain't cheap, so I was wondering what the price difference would be.  
Well, I was watching the news the other night when they said people can expect some insane price increases in heating oil & natural gas: 50-75%!! .  I'll be sticking with electricity for now and it's expected increase of 17%.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
With the huge increases in natural gas prices in the last few years and the HUGE increases in my gas bill I don’t see how electric heat pump cannot now be cheaper. And this during a couple of mild winters and me keeping the house at 65 degrees

I got a $30 dollar increase in my gas bill this month and NO heat was on, just cooking and 2 gas water heaters… I suspect that will mean $100-200 more a month when winter comes… it is quit frankly scary looks like I will be living in a icebox.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
One  might want to factor in the reliability of NG.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Electric is just as reliable for the simple fact that typical modern heaters need electricity to operate....unless you rig it up to work without control....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been wondering the same thing.

Anybody know a formula for figuring out $ per BTU for oil vs. gas vs. electric ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
We need more Nuke plants
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Without a doubt you/we/I are going to be paying much more this year for NG.

I don't cook with NG, but I do heat and heat water... I will, no matter what, keep NG for heating water. When the power goes out, the gas always keeps working and it's nice to have a hot shower.

I am looking at replacing my NG home heater with something else... It has gotten pretty expensive.

I think my NG bill topped out at $185 last winter, actually, I may have gotten a $200 bill. My elec bill never has gone over $140 during the height of summer (it gets hot as fuck here.)

I really depends on what it costs to replace the gas heater (which is part of the a/c).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top