Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2001 5:01:04 PM EDT
This is an old SP-1 upper.
I'm thinking about making a dedicated .22LR upper with it.

...uh, or maybe a paperwieght...
[>(]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/F2/Lb/rb/C381085.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but I'd use it.
Then again, it's been a while since I had a gun blow up on me.[bd]
I just wouldnt use it as a "life depends on it" gun.
Eric
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I just say NO to crack.  Recycle?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Derek, How'd you do that? It does look fixible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The index pin slot was broken out during torquing, I'll bet.  This is the kind of thing that can happen from torquing the barrel nut while holding the barrel.  

There's really no force in this area during firing.  The firing forces are all taken up between the bolt and the barrel extension.  Should be safe to use, especially in a .22 dedicated upper.  You'll just have to be careful to get the front sight base vertical, if you're using one.

Norm
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Derek45,

If you are not a gunsmith, I'd show that to at least 4 gunsmiths that have extensive experience with AR's and get their opinions.  I feel Norm G is correct, but the added advice would be worth having.  

How much would it be to repair?  How much does a new stripped upper go for?  How much is someones eye worth?  If it's unrepairable, I feel a new stripped upper would be much less of a burden.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I added a old 1:12 twist Colt barrel and put about 700 rounds of .22LR with my Ciener conversion. It works fine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
good job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top