Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 10:34:50 AM EDT
These were sent to me by a friend. They are mostly from Waveland Miss.

What's left of one of his in-laws home.

Bridge

Waveland causeway

RR bridge

All that's left of his BILs things.

Hauling out stuff with a four-wheeler, note the water line.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
man, the storm tore them rails up!

hope your family's doing well...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics from our search dog team:

Chris and Nova.  Chris was my partner when we searched at the World Trade Center.

"Go find"

Chris and Nova taking a break.  Chris is wearing a SIG P220 stainless .45.  When in New Orleans, he also had a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun.

"Where do I start?"

Nova says there's human scent under here...

It looked like this as far as you could see.

Chris working Zeke.  Zeke was one of our five cadaver dogs we had at the WTC:

People have no idea how hard Mississippi was hit because all the "news"    was focused on NOLA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
those pictures are a perfect example of what a Catagory4/5 hurricane can do, the only thing you can do is get out of it's way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
People have no idea how hard Mississippi was hit because all the "news"    was focused on NOLA.

Yeah, these were decent hard working folks. People that I call friends, not the looters and dirtbags.

They were lucky to get out with their lives and the clothes on their backs. No house, jobs washed away.

My wife and I have shipped over 80lbs of new stuff to his family this week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
That is why you should not build on barrier islands of within 1 mile of the coast, cause one day mother nature will nail your ass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.fototime.com/32FE58F3C524086/standard.jpg

damn.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.fototime.com/32FE58F3C524086/standard.jpg

damn.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

was anyone found? man, i'd be scared to have my dog run through that debris (glass, nails, and such)!

thanks to you and your friend (2 and 4 legged) for all you've done for this country!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like it's hard on the dog's paws with all that debris. Is there any way to protect them?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Doggie boots were donated, but the dogs loose all tactile sense when their feet are completely covered.  At the Trade Center, we wrapped gauze in rolls at the back of the foot where the major tendons and blood vessels were, and then wrapped the foot with Vet Wrap or CoBan and left the toes exposed so the dogs could "feel".

This is me and Bella at the WTC, and you can see the wrap on her feet.

Chris used his ASP to break a hole in the roof to allow more scent to escape, and the dog "alerts" when it detects human scent.  A dog that does both live-find and cadaver work will alert differently for live vs. cadaver.

Unfortunately, no live finds were made, and remains or areas where scent was found was marked for other teams to search by hand.  Cadaver scent was found in this pile and was marked "MC-K9" and the crews coming in would search the debris by hand.  Might find a person, or could be just a finger.  You never know until you look.

There was car at the Trade Center that was smashed about twenty inches flat, and Zeke was all over it.  There was cadaver scent, but how do you recover something from that?  We found shirts buttoned up with no one in them from the forces of the floors pancaking as they collapsed.

We usually go every year to the WTC memorial at Ground Zero, but this 9/11 we were searching again and adding more emotional baggage to an already mentally overloaded calendar date...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top