Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 8:20:27 AM EDT
Wife, kids, and I stopped by BYU last night to see what changes had been made to the campus, show the kids the art museum, etc.

Anyway, the first thing we see as we enter the art exibit was Carl Bloch's Christ Healing by the Well of Bethesda!  BYU has purchased the original and has it on display.  I was able to walk right up and get a close look at this masterpiece.  Simply amazing.  Bloch was truly an inspired man.

Oh, here's which painting I am referring to:

I could hardly believe that I was standing only a foot away from this original.

ETA:  I also didn't know until yesterday just how big this painting is.  It's huge!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They let you get that close?

Is it protected?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I like how Jesus is bright and well lit in a section of the painting where everything alse is in shadow. The main characters are off center a bit too, but balanced by the woman and her urn to the right. I wonder what her significance is in the picture?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
They have a little barrier on the floor along the front of it that's maybe 1 to 2 feet wide.  I walked right up to the barrier and leaned forward a little to look at the detail.  Simply amazing.  I noticed a security guard stroll by the room where we were, but she didn't even seem to be paying attention to us or the painting.

They have cameras watching the room, but I was surprised that they didn't have something more secure.

What scares me is that some psycho could stroll up and damage this precious artwork.  I shudder to think of what happened to Michelangelo's Pieta.
I even commented to my wife, "I'm surprised that they don't have glass covering it."  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What scares me is that some psycho could stroll up and damage this precious artwork.  I shudder to think of what happened to Michaelangelo's Pieta.
I even commented to my wife, "I'm surprised that they don't have glass covering it."  

Yep. My thoughts exactly. Sad that I have to think that way though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like how Jesus is bright and well lit in a section of the painting where everything alse is in shadow. The main characters are off center a bit too, but balanced by the woman and her urn to the right. I wonder what her significance is in the picture?

I don't know.  But if you look at the pool of water, it's actually reflecting a little of her.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.  But if you look at the pool of water, it's actually reflecting a little of her.

This thread is certainly food for thought.
Maybe the painting is just trying to emphasize that they are at a well by showing her. I also see a parallel between her bringing people water, and Jesus bringing healing. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
aequantum.com/ar15/bethesda.jpg

I knew that was coming.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that was coming.

Oh my goodness!  I didn't see that coming.  Made me literally laugh out loud, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I like how Jesus is bright and well lit in a section of the painting where everything alse is in shadow.

Jesus has good lighting.

Quoted:

You're going to Hell for that one...  

"Go to Hell, go directly to Hell. Do not pass Saint Peter, do not collect salvation."

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"Go to Hell, go directly to Hell. Do not pass Saint Peter, do not collect salvation."

I bet Jesus laugh with that PS, your Ok
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DITTO... as long as the jokes aren't malicious and intended to mock Christ, I'm sure he'd have to chuckle at this. I sure did!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a little surprised by Arfcom every day.

I figured this would be a thread about "Transporter 2".
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DITTO... as long as the jokes aren't malicious and intended to mock Christ, I'm sure he'd have to chuckle at this. I sure did!

Yeah, besides...    that was just the Fourth Wiseman bringing a gift of frankincense and myrrh Beck's and Rubbermaid totes. He got lost and was a little late is all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Obligatory masterpiece "pie".
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

OK. I actually laughed out loud at that one. Classic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that was coming.

Oh my goodness!  I didn't see that coming.  Made me literally laugh out loud, though.

+1!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]
That is an awesome pic. I'm sure it also does no justice to the painting. Thanks for sharing it Shane333!

And I 'bout fell out of my chair with gaspain's contribution.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#20]
very cool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I attended a seminar at the McCrone Research Institute in Chicago in 1997.
I was VERY lucky in that after class one day, I shared a German import beer with Dr. McCrone.
The beer sucked, but I was happy to shake the hand of such a revered scientist.
He passed away a few years ago.

Anyway, while there, I noticed this rather ugly painting on display on an easel.

I asked him about it, and he said that the owners believed it might have been an original Da Vinci.

Their laboratory analyzed the canvas, and the paint pigment.  Their institute is probably the
worlds leading authority on microscopical analysis of paint pigments.  

I asked him about having it out where anyone could walk up and touch it,
and he shrugged it off saying "it is well insured".

He went on to say it was shipped to the institute via FedEx, insured for 4 million dollars.
That way, even if it was stolen, damaged, or otherwise destroyed, the owners would get
their money.

SO, while it doesn't surprise me that BYU doesn't have the painting better protected
because obviously it is insured, it does surprise me that the insurance company isn't
throwing a fit over it.

The laboratory compared the paint pigments of this painting to samples of pigments from
other well known samples of Da Vinci artwork, and it turned out that the painting was
an original Da Vinci.  The Discovery Channel had a show which featured it.
And now the painting's estimated value is somewhere over 20 million.

When I saw the Discovery Channel show, I about fell off my seat.  I had assumed up until
then that it wasn't a Da Vinci.    I shoulda wiped a booger on it when I had the chance.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm a little surprised by Arfcom every day.

I figured this would be a thread about "Transporter 2".

Uncultured swine!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]
A little background on the painting and how it came to BYU.

Until 2001, this painting resided at the Bethesda Indre Mission in Copenhagen, Denmark, where it has hung since 1883.

If I understand correctly, the Bethesda Indre Mission has been in need of serious renovation and decided to sell the masterpiece to finance the work on the building.  It was about a year's worth of negotiations before BYU was able to acquire it.

The painting is 8.4’ x 10.48’.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper. It fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I swear I've seen that tatooed on some dude's back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top