Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:14:51 AM EDT
Back when the nissan hardbody truck was still sold as brand new, a local dealership started a contest. The idea was that the contestants had to stand with a hand on the truck at all times, the last one standing won the truck. Of course there are lots of rules but thats the general idea. They are given small breaks but I don't belive they let anyone fall asleep during the breaks. Over time they have added additional prizes, for example last year there was a boat attached to the truck that the winner would take home as well.

I've watched the contest over the years and every year it got longer and longer. The contest has really become an East Texas tradition. The car dealership has been bought and sold many times but every owner has continued the tradition every year. Last year the contestants battled it out for almost 117 hours no sleep and at least one hand on the truck or boat.

Well its now the time of the year for the contest, it started the 13th of this month.  I drive by the place every day going to work and always enjoy looking at the sign saying how many contestants are left and how many hours they were up too.

Yesterday morning driving by I saw something I never expected.  Cops blocking every entrance to Kmart (accross the street from the dealer ship) , crime scene tape up all around Kmart, all the contestants were gone, the truck was gone and the board displaying the hours was blank.

I found out later that day one of the contestants broke into kmart stole a shotgun loaded it and shot himself in front of the police. Link. Here's a picture of the contestant.

Patterson Nissan has canceled the contest for this year, and now the future of the contest in in jepordy.   I just had a friend of mine comite suicide less than a month ago so I know what the family is going though, as my heart is with them. That being said I'm afraid that they will never have the contest again, giving our small city a second blow.

www.hohb.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top