Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 6:21:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Plextor for me.  Burns even cheap media.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Plextor.  No other burner comes even remotely close.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Definately plextor, cost more but worth it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Plextor, if you want to spend the dough.  LiteOn if you don't.  Both have been great burners.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Plextor is always bulletproof. The Pioneer internal DV109's are also great, cost $49 at NewEgg.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Plextor, if you want to spend the dough.  LiteOn if you don't.  Both have been great burners.

I would agree.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Lite-On does every thing the Plextor does and at half the price. I use Plextor drives for years there is no reason to now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I like Plextor drives, but when I shopping for a DVD burner I saw this and couldn't pass up the price.

I just finished my second 100-pack of DVD-R blanks with it.  No coasters or other problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want an external drive, check out Lacie.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been a hard core Plextor user for years, but now I've switched to BenQ.

BenQ will allow you to burn at twice the medias rated speed if the media can handle it.

Also check out the new LightScribe media which the new BenQ's support... Its really nifty...

BTW - Once upon a time Yamaha had a simular function - but it only worked on the media side and did text only.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
lightscribe media costs more though.  cheaper to just write it, but it is neat :)

I have a NEC 3540a and it works perfect so far.  so far no bad burns.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
lightscribe media costs more though.  cheaper to just write it, but it is neat :)

+1... just got one, great so far. Has great reviews cost $44 at newegg.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The most cost effective and easiest way to label your CDs and DVDs -

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy Plextor and you are paying for name only, not performance. They just aren't the king they used to be.

BenQ is the new Lite-on.

I also have the NEC 3540A, it consistantly gets top scores in burn tests, and you just really can't beat the price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#15]
i have bought a couple plextors drives for myself.  each one of those drives has failed 1 month out of warranty.

my sony drive died 3 months out of warranty.

I have now switched to Lite On drives

JME (just my experience)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]
With as cheap as good DVD Burners are, and the speed the technology is changing. I would much rather spend $40 on a burner that's one step behind and just upgrade in a year or so than spend $100 for the same thing from a Plextor, or spend top dollar to try and keep up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Since nobody's mentioned it yet, Plextor.

I've had one for a while. It was cheap (really!) and it's done it's job for the last 2 years.

EDIT: I wasted post 4000 on this?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like Plextor drives, but when I shopping for a DVD burner I saw this and couldn't pass up the price.

I just finished my second 100-pack of DVD-R blanks with it.  No coasters or other problems.

I bought one of those after reading the reviews, it works fine but in the end I wished I had just bought another Plextor. I have 2 identical systems, one has a Plextor DVD burner and the other has the NEC you linked above, the plextor does everything faster than the NEC, even though they have the same speed ratings. Trying another brand (NEC) has shown me the error of my ways, I'll never buy another burner that is not made by Plextor.

For most people the differences won't matter but when I see the Plextor outperforming the NEC in everything then it gives me buyer's remorse on the NEC, wished I had paid the extra for another Plextor, won't make that mistake again. If you want the best, get Plextor, if you want to save a few bucks, there are plenty of other choices - NEC, LiteOn, Pioneer, Sony, etc....

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Lite-On , it is the Kalashnikov of CD/DVD writers. They work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1 for NEC 3540A.

BTW, I ordered one and the crappy company send (and charged me for 2). Now they want me to pay to send it back.

Never deal with MWAVE.COM.

If you want one, $45 is what I have in each one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I own a CenDyne 48x CD-RW drive that is actually a rebadged LiteOn. It has served me well for years now. I've heard that I can upgrade it to 52x with a BIOS flash but I'd rather not run the risk of screwing it up. The only time it has produced duds is when I try to burn slower than the maximum speed, which is kind of weird. I certainly can't complain.

Is CenQ a new brand of rebadged LiteOn or an actual new brand of CD drive?

Galland

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Got a couple of Pioneer drives and never had any problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought one of those after reading the reviews, it works fine but in the end I wished I had just bought another Plextor. I have 2 identical systems, one has a Plextor DVD burner and the other has the NEC you linked above, the plextor does everything faster than the NEC, even though they have the same speed ratings. Trying another brand (NEC) has shown me the error of my ways, I'll never buy another burner that is not made by Plextor.

For most people the differences won't matter but when I see the Plextor outperforming the NEC in everything then it gives me buyer's remorse on the NEC, wished I had paid the extra for another Plextor, won't make that mistake again. If you want the best, get Plextor, if you want to save a few bucks, there are plenty of other choices - NEC, LiteOn, Pioneer, Sony, etc....

In every round-up, benchmark test, shoot out I have read, Plextor consistanly DOES NOT SHINE, which is to say that he gives zero proof that it is worth 2x's or 3x's the money. It constantly scores in the middle of the pack or just above avg. but it NEVER scores at the top.

You suckers are paying for name only, and the stretching out of a dying legacy. Plextor was king, the king is dead. The only thing that it may still have going for it (but I have not proof) is that it MAY have a longer life, but as I said before, I would rather spend $40 now and upgrade in a year to something better, than spend $120 now and a year from now be using a dog.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#25]
NEC
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Got the Plextor today at Fry's for $99.99.

Thanks for the advice.

You spent $60 for 7 letters.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice.

Good choice.  The best that money can buy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I find my money is best spent on quality blanks instead of a plextor badge on the front.
I have both NEC and Lite-On.  Both work great.

Ritek media is the only kind I use now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
The Pioneers are very popular here.
I always use them and have had no problems.

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Get the newer models with +R,-R,+RW,-RW and dual layer support, Lite-on and Sony make external and internal models
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice.

Paid more than twice what you should have for a DVD burner.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In every round-up, benchmark test, shoot out I have read, Plextor consistanly DOES NOT SHINE, which is to say that he gives zero proof that it is worth 2x's or 3x's the money. It constantly scores in the middle of the pack or just above avg. but it NEVER scores at the top.

You suckers are paying for name only, and the stretching out of a dying legacy. Plextor was king, the king is dead. The only thing that it may still have going for it (but I have not proof) is that it MAY have a longer life, but as I said before, I would rather spend $40 now and upgrade in a year to something better, than spend $120 now and a year from now be using a dog.

Really?  Maximum PC gave the Plextor PX-716A Dual Layer Burner a 10 (and thats pretty hard to get)

Here's the Review...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Maximum PC gave the Plextor PX-716A Dual Layer Burner a 10 (and thats pretty hard to get)

Here's the Review...

I didn't say the Plextors are bad, just that when compared to other burners (Mony of which are much cheaper) they don't really show that they are worth the extra money. The are just kinda average but cost a lot more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a lot of problem using a liteon; cant bring myself to buy another one.  I remember when they were pure shit.  The first Liteon that was worth a shit was made for them by Plextor.
Bought 4 of the NEC 3540A's.  Me, my son and 2 friends.  no problems yet.
CC Ryder
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a Pioneer 16x +/- RW, dual layer drive and it works great. It burns most 8x media at 10 or 12x, and can burn an 8x up to 16x if the disc can handle it. I have not found a brand of disc that can do that yet. HP, Sony, Verbatim, TDK +R 8x all burn at 12x right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top